Sally's Scoff Box

WEEK TWO, DAY FIVE (Wednesday 5th May, 2010)

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO EVERYONE

:talk017::talk017::talk017:
:talk017:

Plus, it's my final final at 10.30am. Two hours of Latin. Eeek. I need to get my head in gear and get a bit of last minute studying done.

Anyway, I was GOOD last night--S took a Benadryl for her allergies at 3pm and by 5pm was passed out an an anti-histamine haze on the couch. So, dinner fell to me and as I didn't feel like cooking I thought I'd pick something up while I was out (I had to pop to the library). S woke up as I was leaving and sleepily requested Long John Silvers. I got Subway sandwiches for the girls, and Long John Silvers for S, and I only had a large diet coke--I resisted the lure of fish, chips and hush puppies :D Mostly, I was still full from late lunch but that's never stopped me in the past.

We're planning to eat out tonight, at a great local Mexican, as it's Cinco de Mayo. Shouldn't be too tricky though, as I always choose vegetarian. I can just get a big plate of refried beans and Mexican rice which will keep me on a green day. That's the plan, anyway...

7.00am

* Two large mugs of hot water

8.30am

9.30am

* Banana

Off to take my Latin final now. Wish I'd had time for a proper breakfast... *sigh*

10.30am

* Large lemon tea with sweetener

12.30pm

* Three small slices wholegrain bread (1 HEB)
* Two poached eggs

Last edited:
WEEK THREE, DAY ONE

:talk017::talk017::talk017::talk017:

This is me today. The last couple of days have gone a bit pear-shaped. I've kept on plan with my meals but had a couple of nibbles that I shouldn't have had. But then last night we went out meet up with the students from my creative nonfiction class. We'd arranged to meet in a place called GattiTown, which is a family-orientated eaterie/play environment. I don't think I can liken it to anything in the UK--there are bumper cars, and an amusement arcade, and a video room, it's pretty cool for children between about 8 and 16. Anyway, I didn't realize but in order to get in we had to buy a buffet meal for each of us (I thought we could just get one for the children) so S and I wound up eating there when we hadn't planned to. Fortunately, there was a great variety of food--a huge buffet of pizza, pasta, salads, drinks, and desserts. S made me a huge salad, so that was fine, but then I wound up eating a bit of pizza (thankfully the slices were pretty small) and some pepperoni rolls. I was pretty amazed to hop on the scales and have lost 2lbs this week :D:D:D

Anyway, I might have got away with it last week, but I'm going to have to knuckle down and work hard this week--I don't want my indulgences sneaking up on me.

And, classes are all over now so I'm a free woman for about the next 4 months, until classes start again at the end of August. Just waiting for my grades now...:eek:

7.30am

* Two mugs of hot water
* Bowl of blueberries and chopped banana

10.00am

* Two mugs of hot water
* Wholegrain English Muffin, toasted (1 HEB)
* Kraft cheese slice (1/2 HEA)
* Morningstar Veggie Sausage Pattie 4 syns
* Egg, fried in PAM

Total syns for the day 4/15
Total syns for the week 4/105

Last edited:
Thanks allie :)

WEEK THREE, DAY THREE

Bit of a slip up over the weekend, the odd slice of toast too many. Back to it this morning though, with renewed vigour :D

7.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Fat Free Cherry & Vanilla Yoghurt

9.00am

* Two mugs of hot water
* Bowl of blueberries and chopped banana

11.30am

* Mug of hot water
* Mashed potatoes
* Shepherdess Pie (lentils, blackeyed peas, onions, carrots, mushrooms, cumin, curry powder, tomato sauce)

3.00pm

* Mug of hot water
* Half a small jacket potato with grated cheese 1 HEA

5.30pm

* Mug of hot water
* Cous Cous
* Veggie Chocolate Chili 2 syns

9.00pm

* Glass of diet Cherry 7up
* Corn on the cob
* Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream 5 syns

Syns for the day: 7

Syns remaining for the week: 68

Last edited:
i love your diary.....end of! Brilliant reading - makes mine look rubbish, so im going to make more effort!!! :D x

Thanks ellebear :) I tend to just ramble a lot about all manner of stuff that has nothing to do with SW--that'll be the English major in me, I never know when to shut up ;)

But I'm glad you're enjoying reading it, and appreciate your lovely comment :)

WEEK THREE, DAY FOUR (Tuesday, May 11, 2010)

So yesterday was a GOOD day and I'm hoping for a repeat today. I pottered around the house all day, did a spot of housework, played with the foster kittens (they go back to the Humane Society on Thursday :sigh:) and then met up with my Monday night knitting group :) I haven't been to my knitting group for about a month--exams have kept me busy--and I was happy to get back to it last night, they're a GREAT bunch of ladies and we have a LOT of laughs. But we meet in a local Panera which is very diet un-safe. It's a chain of bakeries/restaurants and the food is fabulous. I adore their macaroni cheese (it is sooooooo cheesy and heavenly) and their Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich--tomato basil bread with loads of bacon, turkey and smoked gouda. Incredibly good and incredibly calorific, I can't even begin to imagine how many syns would be in it. Anyway, I used to get dinner at Panera with the ladies but last night I had dinner at home and avoided the Panera temptation. And because I'd been good I could have an ice cream bar when I got home. I'm very proud of myself :D

And in other news, I got my grades yesterday.

STRAIGHT A's :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm keeping hold of that 4.0 cumulative GPA which will be very much needed if I want a place at Grad school on a Masters program.

Anyway, back to today's food...

7.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Coconut cream fat free yoghurt

8.30am

* Mug of hot water
* Bowl of cherries and chopped banana

10.30am

* Mug of hot water
* Wholegrain English Muffin, toasted 1 HEB
* Egg, fried in PAM
* Kraft cheese slice 1/2 HEA

Then we went out for lunch...Mi Pequena Hacienda, the best Mexican in Lexington ;) I tried to be good...

1.30pm

* Huevos Rancheros
* Refried Beans
* Mexican Rice
* Two large glasses of water
* Tortilla chip 10 syns

And oh my, was I STUFFED! So stuffed, in fact, that I ended up having a two hour nap :4635: when I got home!

8.00pm

* Syn free chips
* Quorn and lentil curry
* Glass of diet cherry 7up

Syns for the day: 14/15
Syns remaining for the week: 54

Last edited:
WEEK THREE, DAY FIVE (Wednesday 12th May, 2010)

What a lovely morning it is here. The sun is shining, and it's supposed to be in the high 70's today. I love spring in Kentucky, and I'm especially loving being able to just potter and enjoy the mornings without having to rush down to campus. I've been knitting like a lunatic, and have almost finished the gingham cardigan for my niece's birthday in a couple of weeks--just the embroidery to complete now. When her cardigan is finished, I've got to start on two "wedding bears" for our friends' wedding in two weeks time. I'm going to be busy!

7.30am

* Mug of hot water
* Fat free Vanilla yoghurt

8.30am

* Mug of hot water

Taking a cue from a couple of the other food diaries I've seen on here, I thought I'd post a pic of my lunch:

1.30pm

* Pasta
* Sauteed onion, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, sweetcorn, and spinach, tossed in a splash of passata with 4 Laughing Cow Triangles melted in. 1 HEA (picture below)

It was absolutely delicious...

5.00pm

* Large lemon tea with sweetener

7.00pm

* SW syn free chips
* Home made leek and potato soup with two rashers of grilled turkey bacon 1 HEB and just a tad of grated Gouda cheese 1 HEB (picture below)

I'm really tempted to have an ice-cream bar this evening but I'm trying to resist--mostly because tomorrow we have to take our foster kittens back to the Humane Society :wave_cry::kitty: . Our route takes us past a Dairy Queen and we've developed a ritual of calling in for Blizzards. As Blizzards are about 600 calories (and, therefore, about 30 syns...) I'm thinking I should forgo the treat tonight in favour of having a Blizzard without guilt tomorrow. Plus, we're going out for dinner with a friend tomorrow evening and it will be tough to choose something from the menu that isn't terribly bad. So, no ice cream bar for me tonight. Going to pick up my knitting and keep my hands busy...

Syns for the day: 0/15

Syns remaining for the week: 54

Attachments

• DSCF7203-2.jpg
    DSCF7203-2.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF7216.jpg
    DSCF7216.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
WEEK THREE, DAY SIX (Thursday 13th May, 2010)

It's been a busy old day. We had to take our foster kittens back to the Humane Society today *sniff* and then have spent a few hours sorting out and boxing up stuff in S's grandmother's apartment which was utterly depressing. Back home for a short while, watching The Ellen Show and knitting for half an hour before cooking dinner for the girls and heading out to meet a friend.

7.00am

* Mug of hot water

8.30am

* Mug of hot water

11.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Handful of SW syn free chips

1.00pm

* Dairy Queen Chocolate Extreme Midnight Truffle Blizzard (oh-so-bad but oh-so-good and worth every one of the syns)
38 syns (I know, how terrible :eek: :eek: :eek:)

4.00pm

* Glass of diet cherry 7up

5.00pm

* Small bowl of veggie chilli (to stop me making ridiculous choices when we go out for dinner...)

7.30pm

* Grilled lemon chicken
* Mashed potato
* Carrots and asparagus
* Two large glasses of water

So proud of myself for going out to dinner and managing to stay on plan :)

Syns for the day: 38/15

Syns remaining for the week: 16

Last edited:
WEEK THREE, DAY SEVEN (Friday May 14th, 2010)

Feeling a bit wobbly about my weigh in tomorrow. I'm convinced that I'm bound to have gained, don't feel any different (certainly don't feel any slimmer) and am all stressed out about it. But I've resisted the urge to weigh myself early, which is a good thing. And tomorrow's weigh-in will be what it will be. Either way, I have to look at every day as an opportunity to eat healthily and stay on plan. That's what I'm aiming for today, but I feel all :sigh: and *meh* and like a big piece of chocolate cake would really solve all my problems.

Anyway, as I have no chocolate cake and don't plan on buying any...

7.00am

* Mug of hot water

8.30am

* Mug of hot water

9.30am

* Mug of hot water

10.00am

* Mug of hot water

I'm about to head out for a while, the temptation to scoff while I'm just pottering around the house is too intense today. I've already done all the laundry, made all the beds, washed the breakfast dishes, cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the kitten stuff up in the study, organised some of my craft stuff in the study, and knitted one leg of a bridal bear for our friend's wedding next weekend. I need to knit two bears in one week (this is a bit of a challenge--normally one a week is my bear-limit) and so I need to keep my knitting needles in my hands instead of food. Starbucks beckons, and I might even treat myself to a non-fat chai tea latte, which will make me feel happy and maybe even keep me on track. The biggest thing I need to do, though, is not to overeat tonight. Even on free food. Tough goal.

11.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Pasta & sauce with added green beans and sweetcorn (I know, an odd choice for brunch but I was hungry)

3.30pm

* Quorn and red lentil curry with basmati rice

DSCF7267-2.jpg

I ended up not going to Starbucks after all :( I pottered across to Target (I love that shop!) to pick up a few bits and pieces that we needed--found that they have a great range of cosmetics for $1 per item, and they're really good quality too, easily on a par with Boots own stuff--and then just came home. Still feeling kind of *meh* but I've kept myself busy knitting and making cards. I finished a jacket that I was making for Jessie-Mae's birthday (she's my niece, she'll be one this month...

DSCF7222-2.jpg

...and finished a set of dishcloths that I now need to list on Etsy and which, hopefully, someone will buy...

DSCF7234-2.jpg

...then played in the study for an hour and made a card for Jessie-Mai to go with her already-stuffed box of goodies that I need to get in the post this week...

DSCF7255-2.jpg

...I actually made a whole batch of these cards, all with cupcakes of different sizes, and on a pale powder pink with baby blue and chocolate brown trimmings. I'm thinking I might batch them up in sets of 5 and pop them on Etsy too. Can't hurt.

But in terms of eating, so far I've managed to be pretty good and haven't had anything I shouldn't have had. Might have a spot more curry in a while, and then have an early night ready for tomorrow morning's weigh-in. Can't eat when I'm asleep, can I?

Syns for the day: 0/15

Syns remaining for the week: 16

Last edited:
Hi Sally, I totally agree with Ellebear! Your diaries make such an enjoyable read. I love reading about your exciting life. You sound like such a gorgeous person (and you look beautiful too!!) - would totally be my friend if you were in London or I was in Kentucky! :D

Well done and best of luck on your WI sweetums, I'm sure you'll do great!!!

Last edited:
You two are so lovely! Honeyoc, I have absolutely no doubt that we'd be fast friends if we lived in the same vicinity--I imagine we'd fritter away many an hour over latte's of varying descriptions whilst putting the world to rights. And Elle, I reckon you'd probably have to join us :)

Thanks so much for all your encouragement. Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Have absolutely loved reading your diary :), your knitting and cards are lovely.....keeps those hands occupied. I do alot of fine cross stitch but haven't done much for the last few months. You've inspired me to get it back out, it always used to relax me....i'm not a tv person really and love nothing more than chilling out in my conservatory so sewing again sounds perfect.
Your menus are great and love hearing about your life too....I tend to waffle alot about my day on my diary too, i love going back and having that lightbulb moment lol
Hope you have a lovely weekend and will be coming back for regular updates lol
Claire
x

WEEK FOUR, DAY ONE (Saturday 15th May, 2010)

Wow, it's SO lovely to get such sweet and supportive comments from you all, it has made my morning to wake up and find that people have been reading and enjoying my food diary. Thank you so much, and keep coming back!

So, it's 8.35am here in the great state of KY and it is a GORGEOUS morning. The sun is shining (cue :character00238::character00238::character00238: smiley) and it's gearing up to be another day of 80 degree temperatures. And we have lovely plans for the day. S (who has just staggered out of bed and is presently wandering around with a look that can only be described as dazed and confused) has work to do so she will be heading for the local library in a while--that way she can avoid the noise of the girls and take advantage of their free wifi. I'll use that time to do a spot of housework, although there's not much that needs doing, just a bit of laundry and some hoovering. Then we'll be off to the grocery for the weekly shop. I could do it by myself, but I much prefer having company. And, time permitting, there's a Sheep and Fibre festival taking place here in Lexington this weekend. I know, it sounds bizarre, but basically it will be lots of vendors selling gorgeous hand-dyed yarns and knitting paraphernalia, and a "one-man-and-his-dog" style sheepdog thing going on. I'm really hoping we have time to go.

In the meantime, the bridal bears are coming along nicely--I've knitted half of one bear now. And before I made my hot water this morning I put together some more cards to sell on Etsy. Pictures later, maybe.

Okay, but the real news this morning is the weigh-in. Guess what? I LOST 1LB :talk017: I'm pretty happy with that, I really didn't think I'd have lost this week at all and it takes me to half a stone in three weeks. Not bad, hey??

On with the food...

8.00am

* Mug of hot water

9.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Wholegrain English muffin, toasted
* Egg, fried in PAM
* Kraft Cheese Slice 1/2 HEA

DSCF7278-2.jpg

10.00am

* Mug of hot water

12.30pm

* Mug of hot water
* Veggie chocolate chili 2 syns
* Boiled rice
* Skinny Cow Triple Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream Bar 5 syns

3.00pm

* Bottle of mineral water
* Banana

7.00pm

* Corn on the cob
* Steamed broccoli and carrots
* Herby chicken 1 HEB
* Potato salad with low calorie mayonnaise 3 syns

Syns for the day: 14/15

Syns remaining for the week: 91

Last edited:
Well done on your weight loss Sally!!! I was just wondering, is there a reason why you drink hot water in the morning? Is it just something you do or does it have some super flushing powers that we don't know about? :D

Ooooh I can't believe you sell stuff on etsy! I love etsy, I mostly buy etailer beauty things there. My favourite seller is MadCitySue, she makes lovely scrubs and soaps and things like that in delicious dessert scents. Yum!!

Good morning :wavey:

The hot water thing goes back years with me. I'd developed some health issues--my hair was falling out, skin was excessively dry, and my fingernails were peeling severely. I was referred to a dermatologist who, after a lot of tests, diagnosed me as severely anaemic. My body just isn't good at absorbing and storing iron. She put me on 600mg of iron a day, which has some rather unpleasant effects on the digestive system and I really struggled with it. Anyway, at the time I was working with various complementary health clinics (I'm qualified as a Clinical Hypnotherapist) and one of the rather wonderful perks of the job was free therapies. I saw a wonderful reflexologist on a weekly basis who always used to bring me a mug of hot water after the treatment. I was chatting with her one day about the iron issue and she told me that the tannins in tea really hinder the body's ability to absorb iron. I was drinking between 10-15 cups of strong black tea a day at the time :eek: So, I came off the tea. Very slowly. At her recommendation, I'd pour myself a mug of hot water whenever I made myself a mug of tea, and I'd drink the hot water first. After about two weeks I found I really didn't want the tea and after a month or so I was exclusively drinking hot water. That was about ten years ago.

The differences were amazing. My skin was brighter, hair thicker, and I felt so much better in general. And I've pretty much kept it up since. Nowadays, I do drink other warm drinks--I LOVE chai tea latte but because of the calories I really only have that maybe once a week as a treat (I'd drink it every day if I could get away with it) and when I'm on campus I have a large lemon tea in the morning to perk me up. But other than that, I only really drink hot water. There are times when I'm a bit lax with it and don't drink nearly as much as I should, but when I'm drinking plenty (I try to have at least one mug of hot water before every meal) it really helps keep everything flushed through the way it should be. And I actually enjoy it. I still have the comfort of holding a warm drink in my hands (there's nothing like that feeling) but with added benefits.

If I've got a tummy upset, I float a whole clove in it for 5 minutes before drinking it, which really helps to settle an unhappy tummy. And if I'm bloated I add a slice of lemon to the early morning drinks. Works wonders.

It's surprising though, how many people feel uncomfortable just giving me hot water. If I'm at friend's houses and they don't know me very well they're always shocked when that's what I ask for and feel the need to apologise, as if they're depriving me of a "better" drink!

As for Etsy...I'm a new seller on there. I find knitting incredibly relaxing and make far more things than I can ever use. The fashion over here is for knitted cotton dishcloths--they're the BEST dishcloths I have ever used in my life--and I make them in all kinds of colours and styles. But my family and friends have more now than they can ever use (I can knit two or three in a good evening) so I thought I'd try to sell them on Etsy. I've sold a couple, not that many :D but it's an excuse to keep knitting. And I figured if I can sell dishcloths, I can sell pretty much anything I make (if it's of a good standard). Keeps me out of trouble and out of the kitchen.

But I love browsing Etsy for goodies. I found a woman selling the most stunning lace and sequin panels for something like $3--perfect to stitch on to a plain t-shirt and make it look like a really expensive evening top. I'm so tempted but my craft basket already overfloweth! I'm taking S to chaperone me at the fibre festival this afternoon, that way I might not come home with twenty skeins of yarn that I don't actually need... :rotflmao:

Well done on your weight loss :)
Can relate to what you said about your friends feeling uncomfortable when you ask for hot water.....when I ask for black tea or a cup of water I get asked "as your sure....I can get you something else"...i then have to explain I have it through choice, I can have squash and deit fizzy but I prefer water through choice and they frown at me lol.
x

Wow thanks for explaining Sally. I'm so sorry you were going through such a hard time, but happy you've found something that helps! You've inspired me now, hot water and lemon every morning for me! I like the thought of that :D
Thanks again!

i also get the "really, sure you dont want juice? squash? tea? coffee?????........hot chocolate!?" at my bfs house from his mum. When i say i just want water they look at me like i think they cant give me anythign better or that i think they cant make a drink i want etc. I think people have a bad attitude towards it, and seeing as people of my mum/bfs mums generation drink lots of tea, mine its fizzy drinks and squash etc, i like coke but try not to have it as it doesnt really agree with me and i really dislike tea! Id just rather stick to water , its cheaper, its better for you and you know whoevers house you go to they will always have it.

Hot water is something i dont think i could handle though!

Back