Sally's Scoff Box

WEEK SEVEN, DAY THREE (Monday 7th June, 2010)

I've got new batteries for my scales but am resisting the urge to hop on them until Saturday, and what will be will be.

Another day dawns bright and sunny here--it's a little cooler today, only predicted to get to around 78/79 degrees, so it's a day to be outside and to get stuff done. Susan has been digging the garden so that we can get some tomato plants in and get some fresh herbs growing--I really miss all the lovely fresh stuff we had last year and it will be good to get it going again. Nothing is lovelier than tomatoes warm from the vine :) I know that I should probably do some of the digging, better exercise and all that, but honestly I hate it. So, instead, I spent the morning putting up the girls' swimming pool.

To call it a swimming pool is a little extravagant--it's certainly nowhere near as big as some of the above-ground pools that people have around here, but it's substantial enough for us. It's 10ft in diameter and the water depth is about 4ft so it's easily big enough for a lovely splash around on a hot day. And as it's predicted to get into the 90's by the end of the week, I reckon we'll need it! I'm just wondering if I can knit in the pool...

Anyway, getting it set up and filled was not a small task. It had been flung in the garage over the winter so we didn't even know if it would be leak-free this year. It took a couple of hours of wrangling and scrubbing to get it ready for action and as I type this it's finally filled with water (took three hours to fill), the filter is running and later this afternoon I'm popping to the grocery to pick up a cover for it. We'll put some chlorine and other chemicals in it when the sun has gone down later on, otherwise they'll just evaporate too quickly. I'm excited about the pool. Might just take a few snaps later on for you all to see :D

9.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Bowl of fresh fruit salad (banana, kiwi, blueberry, strawberry, peach)

10.30am

* SW quiche, made with asparagus, mushroom, and wilted spinach

1.00pm

* Chocolate Chili 2 syns
* Plain couscous (couldn't be bothered waiting to cook rice :8855:)
* Fat free Cinnamon Roll yoghurt
* Mug of hot water

Need to make sure that I drink a bit more water this afternoon, and I need to get a few more things in the freezer for this weeks meals. I'm thinking of boiling up a pan of rice and freezing it in portions, and I might do some bubble 'n' squeak mashed potato too--there's a cabbage in the bottom of the fridge that really needs using up. Might also pop another quiche in the oven--it was a great syn free breakfast this morning and I liked that it was ready-to-go when I was hungry. Minimal cooking because I'm a lazy so-and-so :D

Steps:

Syns for the day: 2/15
Syns left for the week: 73/105

Mostly it just looks like a giant paddling pool! But I'll see what I can do with the camera :D

WEEK SEVEN, DAY FOUR (Tuesday 8th June, 2010)

Blimey it's hot.

And I need to do MUCH better about updating my food diary throughout the day and not just in the morning.

The pool is up. It also has a leak, so that's a trip to get a pool repair kit later on today. Other than that we're all systems go for the predicted high 90's temperatures this weekend.

And it's the football! I can count on one hand the number of times that I have willingly watched a football game (1990, England v Germany; 1998, England v Argentina) but being away from England has made me come over all sentimental. I even wept this morning watching the video for "Three Lions" on youtube :cry: So we have a 6ft Union Jack that we pin to the front door on all occasions when my Britishness needs to be noticed and it's coming out this weekend. We're also heading for a local "pub" called, imaginatively The Pub. It will be funny to see just how inauthentic it is. Apparently, the "barmaids" wear short tartan skirts--because that's so British, right? :8855:

But we're going over there to eat bangers and mash (well, I'm going to try NOT to eat the bangers and mash) and watch the England v. USA game. And a lot of our US friends are coming with us because they "want to be English too". Becs has her Liverpool shirt at the ready, Izzy has a shirt with a Union Jack on, Susan has a t-shirt with the London Underground symbol and "Mind the Gap" on it and I've had my toenails painted with Union Jacks for the occasion. I thought about having the St. George's Cross instead, because technically that's more correct but over here no-one recognizes it so I might just put it on my fingernails instead. Or maybe I'll do a combination of all four GB flags on my fingernails. I should at least do Ireland too (are they even playing?) because my mum is Irish.

Golly, I'm getting ridiculously carried away by this palaver.

8.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Bowl of blueberries and chopped banana

11.00am

* Mug of hot water
* English muffin, toasted 1 HEB
* Egg, fried in PAM
* Kraft cheese slice 1/2 HEA
* Morningstar Veggie Sausage Pattie 4 syns
* Fat free Cherry Cobbler yoghurt

I've been cooking. I made a SW quiche to have for breakfast tomorrow and to eat throughout the day if I need to. It's PACKED with mushroom, asparagus, and spinach. Plus, I bought some leeks when we went shopping at the weekend. I just used one (admittedly a large one), a stack of mushrooms, and a ton of risotto rice and made a HUGE pan of leek and mushroom risotto. I couldn't find a recipe on here so I made it up as I went along--sauteed off the leeks and mushrooms in a little PAM, added some garlic powder, thyme, and oregano, threw in a ton of rice and then slowly added vegetable stock until the rice was cooked. It is YUMMY. In fact, I can hardly believe that it's syn free, it tastes so good. I just had a bowl for lunch, but sprinkled with a little parmesan cheese. I feel so indulgent. :D

1.30pm

* Leek and mushroom risotto
* Parmesan cheese 1 HEA

Syns for the day: 4/15

Syns left for the week: 56/105

Last edited:
get your fingernails done!!! i love your St George ness!!! :D and try to resist the bangers and mash!!! (good luck!!!) xx

Wow, I've just read all your diary and it's fantastic!!
I love all the "craftiness" - I love to knit, cross stitch and make cards but just don't find enough time...
Anyway, you've re-inspired me hun.
I'll keep reading your diary now, it's great!!!
Have a lovely weekend of Britishness.....!

MONDAY 14th JUNE, 2010

(Week Eight, Day Three)

Hello Jaylou! Thanks for popping in to say hello! I've been a bit bad of late and haven't been updating nearly half as much as I should have done and we all know the reason why, don't we girls? :8855: Yes, I fell off the wagon. Actually, it was more of a graceful hop than a full on tumble but nonetheless it wasn't great. I'm lucky in that we don't have that much naughty stuff in the house, which certainly helped as far as damage limitation was concerned, but we DID have one of those bake-at-home baguettes which I managed to chomp rather happily through along with a somewhat generous portion of swiss cheese. Whoops. But I did resist the bangers 'n' mash at The Pub on Saturday--I ordered chicken wings for Lil' Bit (which I don't like anyway, I hate meat on the bone...) and some "pub chips" with curry sauce for Susan and me. The "pub chips" were supposedly traditional English chips, but it wasn't a big portion and they didn't seem to be fried so that was good.

Anyway, I didn't weigh-in on Saturday because I was so convinced that I'd have gained a ton of weight, despite the fact that most of my meals had actually been SW. I decided yesterday that it was time to get back on track and had a 100% day yesterday. Weighed myself this morning and blow me if I haven't gone and lost a flippin' pound! I'm rather delighted, and more motivated now to stay on track. So, here I go again...

8.00am

* Mug of hot water

9.00am

* Bowl of blueberries and chopped banana
* Kelloggs Fibre Plus bar (chocolate chip...mmm) 1 HEB
* Mug of hot water

11.00am

* Mug of hot water

1.00pm

* Jacket potato topped with chopped onions, peppers, salsa, a smattering of grated cheese, about a tablespoon of non-fat sour cream (2 syns, maybe?) and a pile of chopped spinach.

Heading off out of the house for a while now. The summer holidays are getting to us all a bit and I need a break from the girls who, despite the gorgeous sunny weather, claim to be bored. They're driving me nuts. And they're driving Susan nuts to and she's just been in a generally bad mood for the last week or so I'm taking off for a while. When I get back, she's going to take off for a couple of hours too. Maybe we can all stay a little sane this way.

Remind me later to post some pics of the millions of dishcloths I seem to have knitted... :8855:(anyone want to buy a dishcloth ;)) and tell you about the crazy, non-SW friendly week I have ahead of me...birthdays, meals out, gatherings with friends...you name it, it's all happening this week in Sally-land!

And with that, I'm escaping to Starbucks for some sanity and a chai tea latte :D

3.00pm

* Iced chai tea latte 1 HEA plus 2 syns

5.00pm

* Mashed potato mixed with fat free cottage cheese
* Fresh corn on the cob
* Two Quorn turkey burgers 1 syn

6.00pm

* Large diet Pepsi (at knitting group)

Back home now, a little bit saner thanks to an hour browsing in Barnes & Noble, a bit of retail therapy (albeit for Izzy's birthday later this week) and an evening with my Knitterati friends. I'm hungry though, probably because I ate dinner a bit too early, so I'm going to head into the kitchen and make myself a syn-free snack. I'm thinking SW chips...and as I still have a HEB to have, I might even have a chip buttie... :D

Overall, so far, a good day.

Syns for the day: 5/15

Syns left for the week: 85/105

Last edited:
Hi Sally,

Glad to see you back :D Also, you have a doppelganger on here too, such an unusual username yet there's 2 of you!!

Hope your adventures in Sally-land don't go too pearshaped!! Have a good week :)

Sara C I was about to say the very same thing! There's another Sally Cinnamon lurking around here!

Sally sorry to hear things were getting a bit much at home. I remember when I was younger, I was ALWAYS bored no matter what. My parents never bothered trying to entertain me, had to create fun myself. When I complained to my parents they said "go read something" lol. It was great in the end, I'm a voracious reader now! Hope you enjoy your delicious chai latte!

There's another Sally Cinnamon? Well, that explains why I had to register as Sally_Cinnamon and not as SallyCinnamon then :D I'm assuming that my doppelganger (who I will now have to track down and befriend) shares my taste in music. Sally Cinnamon is the name of one of my favourite ever songs by The Stone Roses. It reminds me of my mispent youth :D

Here's a link to it, for anyone that might be interested...

YouTube - The Stone Roses - Sally Cinnamon (Promo)

Honey, I just picked up a couple of books for the girls at Barnes & Noble, so they're happy for a while now at least. They're really wonderful kids, but all their friends are at daycare (most of them have working parents--we're lucky in that Susan works from home and I'm home anyway during the summer) so during the day there's really no-one around for them to play with. They're generally pretty good at entertaining themselves but today we all just hit a wall--it was raining and yet still hot, and we were all cooped up inside. Thankfully the sun is out again now and with the sun comes the opportunity to play badminton in the garden. Things are happier :)

SATURDAY 19th JUNE, 2010

(Week Nine, Day 1)

Bad Sally for not up-dating as much as she should this week *smack-bottom smiley*

It's been hectic, there have been cupcakes and meals out, and movies, and, despite it all, a 4lb weight loss!!! Not convinced my scales aren't up the Swanee though...although they seem to work just fine for everyone else in the house...

Izzy was 10 yesterday, today is her party. We have a dozen girls arriving at 2pm for pool fun, garden fun, hot dogs, hamburgers, and cupcakes. I will not eat any of the red velvet topped with cream cheese cupcakes. Nor the chocolate chip topped with white and milk chocolate marbled frosting cupcakes. Nope. I won't. Nor will I eat the cheese balls, or the crisps, or....well, you get the picture.

So I've started the day on the right foot, with my favourite breakfast so that I don't feel deprived.

7.30am

* Mug of hot water

10.00am

* Mug of hot water
* Breakfast sandwich 1/2 HEA plus 2 syns

Oh, by the way, here's Izzy's cake...I made it myself...

DSCF9347-2.jpg

DSCF9344-2.jpg

DSCF9342-2.jpg

I'm rather proud of it. Plus: it's a chocolate cake filled with a whipped chocolate mousse and nutella... (which I won't be eating...)

Syns for the day: 2/15

Syns left for the week: 103/105

wow that cakes looks fantastic, your so talented!

Another string to your bow - that cake is amazing!!
Hope she had a lovely day and have a good one yourself too!
Jay x

Wow Sally I'm so envious of you - you're so crafty!! And I LOVE your cake!

I wish I could be as crafty as you but I'm just too lazy!! I'm also really jealous of your pool - weather's gorgeous here at the moment and a dip in the pool would be quite pleasant!x

ps - well done for resisting all the temptations fate has been throwing at you!!

Hi Sally, just popping by to say hey. Haven't "seen" you in a while. Hope everything's okay!
:love:

Sally where are ya girl?! Hope you're good, don't stay away for too long! We miss you :D

Back