Salmon and prawns, yes or no?

Hi,

Are we allowed a salmon/prawn salad on aam?

Thanks

bm2lm xx

i dont think so, salmon is too oily /high in fat
and prawns are too salty so you are only allowed a tiny tiny amount
anyone else know??

I wish Yes but I am afraid No !

Hi- the high cholestorol in prawns is a myth and plain prawns bought from the fishmonger have no added salt, so they can't be too salty. They are extremely low in calories and very high in protein with no fat (unlike egg yolks and smoked salmon), so although they may not be officially allowed, they are one of the healthiest protein choices you can make (much healthier than chicken which, unless you buy organic will be pumped full of antibiotics and often injected with added fat- and it might not be chicken fat- to give it flavour). If you just ate shellfish for the rest of your life you wouldn't be fat and you wouldn't get heart disease- ask the Japanese! It would be great if whelks, razor fish, scallops etc were all included!

Prawn rant over (and no I do not work for the prawn industry:) )

Hi- the high cholestorol in prawns is a myth and plain prawns bought from the fishmonger have no added salt, so they can't be too salty. They are extremely low in calories and very high in protein with no fat (unlike egg yolks and smoked salmon), so although they may not be officially allowed, they are one of the healthiest protein choices you can make (much healthier than chicken which, unless you buy organic will be pumped full of antibiotics and often injected with added fat- and it might not be chicken fat- to give it flavour). If you just ate shellfish for the rest of your life you wouldn't be fat and you wouldn't get heart disease- ask the Japanese! It would be great if whelks, razor fish, scallops etc were all included!

Prawn rant over (and no I do not work for the prawn industry:) )
I disagree about the prawns I was taught when i did my nutrition course that prawns are high in choelesterol so we must agree to disagree.
I have my own chickens so I for one wont be eating chicken.
My chucks arnt pumped full of sh** but oh boy the dont half eat some unpleasant things ie slow worms, worms, etc Im not to keen on eggs either ha ha.

It's not exactly a myth - prawns are high in cholesterol - but it's actually saturated fat you need to steer clear of to reduce your own cholesterol, rather than dietary cholesterol. Obviously everything in moderation, but prawns are a really good choice as part of a healthy diet.

However, not on AAM, going back to the original question!

I love them cholesterol or not but not eating them at the moment.

Actually the cholestorol thing is really interesting and very controversial- eg did you know that the recommended healthy choletorol level in adults has been cut in half since it was discovered, yet heart disease rates have gone up? You should read the Cholestorol Myth- great book on how the drugs companies have latched on to this as a way of getting dcotors in the US and the UK to spend billions on their drugs (in Germany low cholestorol is considered more of a problem than high cholestorol, and in Italy and France they laugh their continental socks off at the very idea!).

Anyway- its an interesting topic, and opinions will differ!

I know that when this was checked out with our nutritionist advisor Fiona Wilcock it was decided the amount you could have of prawns and salmon was so minimal it really was not worth having.

I may be wrong but I think prawns can also raise the uric acid levels in some people - but I may be making this up!

Re cholesterol I always believed that they were high in cholesterol as this is the information provided to my mum when she had to reduce her cholesterol levels. Having said that she was restricted to 2 eggs per week, now, however that has been changed as it has been found it is a different cholesterol in eggs!

Tuna is another strange one if you have fresh its an oily fish so you can only have tiny amount on 790, however, once canned it is classed as white fish and you can have a huge amount provided its in spring water.

Last edited:
Actually the cholestorol thing is really interesting and very controversial- eg did you know that the recommended healthy choletorol level in adults has been cut in half since it was discovered, yet heart disease rates have gone up? You should read the Cholestorol Myth- great book on how the drugs companies have latched on to this as a way of getting dcotors in the US and the UK to spend billions on their drugs (in Germany low cholestorol is considered more of a problem than high cholestorol, and in Italy and France they laugh their continental socks off at the very idea!).

Anyway- its an interesting topic, and opinions will differ!
I would be interested to read the book who is it by presume i would be able to get it in waterstones.

I think it's a teeny tiny amount your allowed and it is barely a snifter of them. but hey if you fancy 4 tiny prawns on a salad then it might be lovely. :)

I may be wrong but I think prawns can also raise the uric acid levels in some people - but I may be making this up!

Yup, due to high levels of purine.

Dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol are different - the balance of fats in the diet have a far greater effect on blood cholesterol than dietary cholesterol does. We know more about cholesterol now than we used to, so lowering blood cholesterol is no longer assumed to be a simple case of eating less liver :)

I would be interested to read the book who is it by presume i would be able to get it in waterstones.
Amazon.co.uk: The Great Cholesterol Con: Books: Malcolm Kendrick

on Amazon- sorry got the name wrong- its The Great Cholestorol Con by Malcolm Kendrick- it is very interesting, and flys in the face of commonly held medical views- but of course its an opinion piece- has 5 star reveiew on Amazon- I have just lent it to my mum because she has had VERY high cholestorol all her life- and guess what, no health problems at all although according to her doctor she should be having a heart attack every other day...

Thanks for that other opinions are allways interesting and worth reading.

Back