Sam's weight loss journey!

Sammii3

Hi there my name is Sam, I'm 20 years old and studying Physics at the University of Aberdeen :)

I'm not too heavy at 10st 7lb but for my height (5ft 2in) that is in the overweight bmi and I really need to sort it out!
My aim eventually is to lose 35lb to get to 8st 3lb for just before Christmas :)

I've been trying to diet on and off for at least 2 years but since I started uni the weight has slowly crept on, I didn't realise how much I actually weighed till I realised I was nearly 11st!
I really struggle with trying to find the time to eat healthy and exercise as I work crazy shifts that change all the time (could be starting at 8am one day then the next starting at 3 and not finishing till after midnight!), so trying to have a routine doesn't work at all :(

I started at uni just before I finished for the summer the Insanity 60 day workout and along with some healthy eating lost about 5 or 6 pounds in the first couple of weeks but when I got home I stopped and it crept back on again.

I am going to use this diary so I can track my weight loss and if I'm putting it on here in black and white I can't hide from my self what I'm doing and not doing!

Going to eat healthy and along with some jogging, the wii fit, and the dance games I will hopefully see a big difference!

Start date: 13/08/2013
End date: 20/12/2013

Heaviest Weight: 10st 10lb
Start Weight: 10st 7lb
End Weight: 8st 3lb

Hello Sam!

Welcome & good luck!

Day 1

So day 1 complete :) not been too bad a day!

Breakfast: Shreddies with skimmed milk - 250 cal
Lunch: Muffin with scrambled egg - 250 cal
Snack: Banana - 90 cal
Dinner: Pasta with WW sauce, salad and crusty bread - ~500 cal

Todays total: 1090 cal

Aiming for between 1200 and 1400 a day so a wee bit off :)

Pasta wasn't too healthy but a healthy sauce and no grated cheese made it a bit healthier :)

Exercise:
20 min jog
20 min just dance

Slow and steady :)

Going to be a bit harder tomorrow as I'm working but will see how it goes :)

That's the same calories I tried to aim for daily but the amount of times I ended up under was crazy. I ended up having another fruit smoothie mid-afternoon to up the count! Doing a Slimming World/Calorie Count combo just now and getting roughly 1300 per day.

Hope you get on ok today!

Yeah you too :) I calorie counted for about a week 3 weeks ago and saw with eating healthy I was taking in around that so just going to stick to that :) its not as difficult as it sounds considering they say a woman should have 2000 haha

Day 2

So today was an okay day as well :)

Breakfast: Shreddies with skimmed milk - 275 cal
Lunch: Cheese&onion pasty, salad - 500 cal
Snack: 3 crackers&soft cheese - 110 cal, special K bar - 89 cal
Dinner: left over from last night: ~350 cal

Todays total: 1324 cal

Went to give blood today for the 3rd time :) hence the snacks and the smaller dinner :)

Exercise: about 90min walk + 6 hour shift at work (150 cal)
As I work in a kitchen I'm on my feet for my whole shift so burning some calories by walking around according to my pedometer :)
never got a workout in today unfortunately but will tomorrow! :)

Has anyone got any advice on the types of exercise they do?
I like doing a jog on the wii fit but don't feel the dance games burn very much
Thinking about maybe joining the gym when I go back to uni in about 7 weeks time :)

Slow and steady :)

x

I cannot recommend the 30 Day Shred enough! Only a 20min or so workout but it really does work you out haha.

Im going to try that along with my jog for 6 days a week and see how that goes :) I must be able to fit in a 40 min workout somewhere in my day even if I am working :)

Day 3

Today was a good day :)

Breakfast: 2 slices of milk roll toast and a banana - 200 cal
Lunch: Spoons veggie burger with salad - 500 cal
Dinner: 2 slices of milk roll, salad, tin of veggie sausage&pasta - 300cal
Snack: 1 slice of milk roll toast and a banana - 130 cal

Todays total: 1130 cal

Treated my mum to lunch today hence the veggie burger :) worked an 8 hour shift today and got home at half 11 so was impressed I had a healthy snack :) getting there slowly!

Exercise:
20 min jog
30 day shred: day 1
30 min walk + 8 hour shift on feet

Started the 30 day shred today and enjoyed it definitely going to continue it, could feel it in my arms with the weights though! Borrowed my bf's weights so had 2.5kg in each arm :)

According to wii fit I had lost 2 pounds, don't always go by its weight as I use it on carpet but sneakily weighted myself on the scales (I knew I should of waited for my weekly weigh-in) and it said I was 10st 4lb so I've lost 6 pounds so far! Happy happy Sam! Hope I can lose at least 1 more before Tuesday :D

Looking forward to tomorrow!

*Edit*

Found on fb when I saw the 30 day shred page that there is a 30 day squat challenge, you start with 50 squats on day 1 and add 5 every day with every 4th day a rest day so did that while waiting on the dog going out the back door :) my legs were a wee bitty sore when I walked back up the stairs! haha thought it would be a good thing to do along with the 30 day shred :)

x

Last edited:
Day 4

Had a good day :)

Breakfast: 2 slices of milk roll toast, 2 slices quorn ham, 4 cherry tomatoes, glass of skimmed milk - 206 cal
Lunch: 4 slices milk roll, egg mayo made with low fat mayo - 320 cal
Snack: 2 slices crusty bread, 1/2 packet of fruitella - 132 cal
Dinner: red thai vegetable curry from asda - 418 cal, 1/2 bottle of low cal rose wine - 165 cal
Snack: half bowl of carrot&coriander soup + slice of bread - 151 cal

Todays total: 1392 cal

So nearly at higher calorie limit but the soup put it up :)

Made homemade carrot and coriander soup so couldn't help but taste it! Yum yum! Taking some to work tomorrow for my dinner :)

Exercise:
20 min jog
30 day shred: day 2
30 day squat challenge: day 2
10 min rhythm boxing wii fit

Lots of exercise today! Feeling it in my muscles but not too sore so just them getting used! I haven't done any muscle training at all before so suddenly doing some has given them a shock! The same with my leg muscles I haven't done any squats really, hoping to see a big difference at the end of 30 days!

Feeling really good about this thinking I will actually see losing weight through this time and be able to fit into my clothes again! :D

x

Day 5

Just a quick update for today as by the time I get home from work it will be after midnight!

Breakfast: Shreddies skimmed milk & a banana
Lunch: 2 slices of milkroll toast, 2 slices quorn ham, salad, natural yoghurt with apple
Dinner: Homemade carrot&corriander soup, 2 slices milk roll
Snack: chopped up apple

Todays total:

Exercise:
20 min jog
30 day shred: day 3
30 day squat challenge: 60
10 min rhythm boxing wii fit

Feeling good :) muscles feeling okay the now dunno what they will be like later!
working about a 10 hour shift so will burn a couple of hundred calories being on my feet the whole time as well :)
Looking forward to my weigh in on Tuesday!

x

Day 6

Bit of a hectic weekend so updating today! Wasn't the most brilliant weekend, ended up snacking at work a bit and then had a cheese toastie about midnight both sat and sun night when I came in! So back to healthy for Monday for my first Tuesday weigh in :)

Breakfast: Porridge and Banana
Lunch: Milk roll sandwich with cheese and quorn chicken, rosemary&onion wholemeal crisps
Dinner: Asda cheese and potato crisp bakes
Snack: fruit bag, weight watchers cookies, cheese and quorn chicken toastie

Todays total: 1424 cal

A bit over and thats not including snacking at work dunno what I had! :(

Exercise:
20 min jog
Rhythm boxing wii fit
60 min walking

Not the best but going to make sure next week is a really good week!

x

Day 7

Better today :) feeling good for my Tuesday weigh in!

Breakfast: asda syrup porridge and natural yoghurt and apple
Lunch: Cheese and quorn sandwich, weightwatchers yoghurt
Dinner: wrap with savoury rice and asda veggie sweet chilli sausages
Snack: fruit bag, snack a jacks sour cream and chive

Todays total: ~1200 cal

Exercise
30 day squat challenge - 70
30 day shred - day 4 (from yesterday)
5 min jog

Happy happy sam!

x

Good luck for your weigh in! (and welcome!) Looks like you are doing fantastically!

Have you ever tried 'Couch to 5km'? I find its amazing for shedding weight and building fitness fast, plus if you start now its still relatively nice weather to run outside in to get you started. Also agree with Erin, 30 Day Shred is awesome for toning.

Day 8

First official weigh in today! 10st 4lb! So thats 3lb lost this week and 6lb all together :) I've reached my first goal!! Feeling really good and looking forward to completing my next week of 30 day shred! :)

Breakfast: low fat yoghurt with apple, 2 slices milk roll toast with low fat cheese spread
Snack: carrot sticks (starving in work! lol)
Lunch: low fat tomato cup a soup with cheese&quorn chicken milk roll toastie, weightwatchers grapefruit yoghurt
Dinner: Homemade soup with half a baguette with tomato pesto quorn chicken and cheese

Todays total: 1133

Really like using Myfitnesspal for logging all my food :) means I can keep track of everything really easily!

Exercise:
30 day squat challenge - 75
30 day shred - day 6
20 min jog

Really wanting to see a big drop for next week! Can't wait to get to the 9s :) Can't believe its actually gonna happen :D Been soooo lazy since I started uni, used to start a diet on the Monday and would give up by the Tuesday night :(
Amazing how just an hour a day of exercise can make such a big difference! Will be better when I'm back at uni as I will have more time and will probably always exercise before class when I get up in the morning :)

x

Hey BerryBerry! Thanks :) was really happy as been sneakily weighing myself all week and been fluctuating been 4lb and 6lb :)
Yeah I tried the C25K with good intentions but wasn't a huge fan and cause I can do a 20 min jog without stopping just sticking to that then going to increase it to 30 min then just keep going up! :)
I think it is an awesome programme for anyone starting though! I think I must have more stamina than I think from walking back and forward to work all the time!

Back