SandraB, guess what i bought today??? food mentioned

It's such a difficult time, isn't it. I am hoping (hoping, hoping!!) I have hit goal by the end of November, which means I will be eating again by Christmas. I had put together a really strict plan of action when I thought I'd still be on LT when I reached goal, which would have had me on Atkins over Christmas - however, having swapped to cambridge diet, I will probably be on a slight variation of atkins, having CD for lunch but atkins for breakfast / dinner / snacks. All around the Christmas period I hope to stick to this, which will mean I can eat the meat and veg but not the chocolates and sweet stuff! My exception to this will be Christmas day, when I will have potatoes with my main meal and christmas pudding - then back to atkins as of boxing day. My family are under strict instructions to buy no chocolate for me! My mum is battling cancer at the moment, and will have had her last chemo 3 weeks before Christmas so it will be a nice quiet affair this year, which is proably best from a diet point of view! I am finding that despite my usual love of wine, I am not missing alcohol at ALL - the only thing I really miss is potatoes and sugary things, especially chocolate. I am hoping I can minimise my intake of these things once I'm back to food full time, but it is scary.

I was hoping for an invite to your new years eve party Sandra! pmsl xxx I live in Yorkshire.

The chocolates and sweet stuff don't appeal to me at all, but i will not resist my mums stuffing, it'll be the breadcrumbs that'll make it bad.. so i'll leave out the potatoes.

When i saw the title of this thread and having to guess what you'd bought today i was a little worried, especially with the addition of food! (but that's probably coz i've got a dirty mind) PMSL

I can see why your worried though i am too, I'm awful for raspberry pavlovas, I just can't leave them alone!! :rolleyes: but like people have said it's just a case of moderation. So long as i have a balanced diet (so a half of one in each hand) i should be fine. ;)

Only joking :D I haven't worked this hard to lose the weight to go and pile it all back on again by stuffing my face with pavlova, but a treat every now and then (and can only be now and then) won't hurt. :)

Take care
Cath.

I sincerely hope that this is a problem for me this Christmas . . . my fear being that I won't last that long. I had my shakes on Christmas Day of 2006 . . . stuck rigidly to diet from Oct 11th until early March.

My delemma is that i only want to come off just for christmas dinner. I dont need days off or anything but id lov a full dinner with stuffing, potatos, gravey etc. Ideally id lov a desert and a glass of champagne too, but i can live without these) ... The delema being, is it really worth refeeding and coming out of keytosis just for christmas dinner?? Its my first christmas living with my partner so its a big one for us. Im afraid that if i come out of keytosis ill find it too hard to get back into it. I found the first three weeks of this diet very very hard and dont know if id actually force myself through that again. Iv still a lot of weight to loose but as i mentioned its our first christmas that we'll b spending together. Any advice?

Differentusername . . . you're going to be nearly at goal by Christmas, aren't you? Maybe you'll be doing your re-feed by then anyway?

hi slaney. when i started i wasnt sure that id be able to stick this diet for too long so i just set my tracker for about 11stone but really i need to loose a good bit more!! im 12stone 10 at the minute and as im short im still very heavy looking. im getting married nexy july so at id really like to take this oppertunity to loose it all, rather than loosing all this weight and still feeling fat. i found it really tough at the start. really the first three weeks were hell for me so im not too keen on coming off and thinking ill go back on (as i may not). im not really a big cheater at all, i ate a slice of ham and cheese once when i was sick but i dont really know how cheating works with keytosis, like would it be possible for me to have a christmas dinner without reffeding and not come out of keytosis??? i really havent a clue!!

Any food high in carbs will take you out of ketosis, so anything you eat out of a packet, check the carb content. You could have protein i.e. you could have smoked salmon or prawn starter. They're both lo carb. Helmans is lo carb. But remember lo fat anything in a jar is usually high carb. Turkey, ham, beef, any meat is lo carb. But the highest of all carbs are potatoes, carrots, parsnips, all rootveg are high carb (very high). Leafy green veg is lo carb. But desert is out. Sweets or chocs out. Bread out. Beer out, white wine is high carb I think. High fat cheeses in but lo fat ones out. If you're in any doubt, invest in an Atkins or Lo GI book, it's really well worth it or nowadays have a go at googling high and lo carb foods on the web. By the way, red wine is very low in carbs, but getting sloshed on vino is definitely not recommended while in ketosis. Good luck with the day.

Hi differentusername , a couple of months back I was discussing with my LT lady about having a break as it was my daughter's 18th etc and she said you dont really need to re-feed and stop LT. all you need to do is have a small low carb meal eg chicken and salad and you will be fine although she said expect to have a smaller loss that week. Anyway I decided not to bother I just kept 100% but just thought Id pass that on xxx

Thanks daisy!! Its so hard to know whats d right thing to do! I guess maybe ill know by my weight loss and how i look and feel closer to d time.

Thanks ssusee, ur post was really helpfull!!! It really helped me to understand my options a bit more.

Also for those who hav eaten carbs while on this... Do u find thats its just as tough to get back into keytosis as it was d first time? I found d first three wks really bad and im wondering if itd b just as bad this time around or maybe just a few days?

Hi starlight, do u mind me asking what u ate on ur day off? Just so i can build a bigger picture for comparison. Its great to hear that u didnt hav to go through the full on process again cos i dont think thatd b worth it for just one day.

And did you hav potatos, gravy/sauce etc and desert wit dinner? Wow that was amazing that u still lost 4lbs!!! Im lucky to loose 4lbs on a good week. So did u hav 2or 3 shakes d day of the meal? This sounds very interesting!!!!

Thanks so much for all this info!!! The more informed i am the easier it'll b to make a decision when the time comes. Do u think there was much cream, fat. Carbs etc in d dinner or would it hav been relatively healithy option? Like im tryin to think what id want on christmas day, prob turkey ham brussel sprouts a small roast potato stuffing carrots gravey a glass of champagne cheese and a few crisps/ desert. Id only need a very small portion of each but now when i look at it all writen down im thinking theres no way id get away with that.

If Im honest I wouldnt describe it as healthy. Not really unhealthy

This is from their website and is a sample main course selection

Breast of Gressingham Duck basted in honey and lime carved around a rosti potato

Twice baked souffle of wild mushrooms and lentils served with a balsamic cream ( V )

North Sea Halibut baked under herb crust with buttered asparagus and a saffron cream (supplement £1.50)

Baked fillet of pork encased in a shallot and apricot mousse edged by a tarragon cafe
au lait sauce

Roast breast of chicken with truffle scented risotto accompanied by a Morel and Madeira Jus

Char grilled Aberdeen Angus fillet with braised white wine bean and pancetta
(supplement £3.50)

Gives you the idea of the kind of thing they do.

Its a hard choice.. I knew this trip was coming up and I always planned the night off but I also planned to get straight back on it. Much the way Im planning to handle Xmas :)

Wow thank u so much for all d effort you've gone to!! It really is a hard one. I dont hav a clue what might b best cos like many of us ive no experience of it at all. I guess the best thing for me i just to wait untill closer to d time and c how i am. I always hate making lipotrim plans too far in advance cos im afraid it'll freak me out and i wont last that long on the diet. Hehe. Thank u again!! Ur a saint.

Back