sauces

hi does anybody no if there is any sauce that are free i cud use with my dinner or on pasta. or a sauce that i could make that is nice and u no the recipe to. i miss sauce on my dinners and tomato and salad cream and others are syns, and im just wondering if there is any that are free or sum that are free that i can make and are yummy. please let me no.

Im sure there are some recipes somewhere, but I make a lovely Tomato sauce with packet Tomato juice , boil it to reduce it and add a pinch of sweetner and salt ,some vinegar , some pepper and if you have one of them grinders that have garlic and chilli, give it a good few turns.Taste every now and again and add whatever you think it needs a little more of. It will become quite thick and keeps in the fridge for a few days.

Didnt think that would apply as you are using it in a recipe, thought that was just to stop us drinking it. There is no difference in that or passata, just the texture, but yes to be sure you could use passata but either way you are not having loads of it. Just wouldnt need to boil it up as much to reduce it as it already thick.

Didnt think that would apply as you are using it in a recipe, thought that was just to stop us drinking it. There is no difference in that or passata, just the texture, but yes to be sure you could use passata but either way you are not having loads of it. Just wouldnt need to boil it up as much to reduce it as it already thick.

Yeah but that 'texture' is the fibre remaining from the tomatoes. That's the healthy bit that you dont gain calories from! Tomato juice is basically refined passata with most of that fibre removed and mostly just the sugars left.

It wouldn't really matter in small quantities but it's definitely not free.

Yeah but that 'texture' is the fibre remaining from the tomatoes. That's the healthy bit that you dont gain calories from! Tomato juice is basically refined passata with most of that fibre removed and mostly just the sugars left.

It wouldn't really matter in small quantities but it's definitely not free.

I just googled passata and it said that they was no fibre in it !!!!
So thats that theory out of the window. Unless you know different.

Have a look in e bay for the SW sauce recipe book. It's got loads of low syn and syn free sauces in it like stir fry sauces, dips, salsas, marinades, curry sauces and gravies etc.

Here is a recipe for BBQ sauce that can also be used as a dip, adding to baked beans or coating chicken etc.

Pete’s Spicy BBQ sauce

Serves 4
Syn Free

Ingredients

1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
1 tsp. mild chilli powder
227ml/8fl oz. passata
3 tbsp. artificial sweetener
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
salt and freshly ground blacken pepper.

Balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce provide the basis for this great tasting bbq sauce that is perfect for a dip, basting a chicken thighs or vegetable kebabs before a BBQ.

Method

Spray a pan with fry light and sauté the onion and chilli powder over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.

Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Blitz with a hand blender for a finer mix.

Check the seasoning before serving hot or cold.

Freezer friendly.

For BBQ Baked beans add 1 Tbsp to a large tin of Baked Beans,

Attachments

• BBQ Sauce.JPG
    BBQ Sauce.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 63
I just googled passata and it said that they was no fibre in it !!!!
So thats that theory out of the window. Unless you know different.

Well, yeah I do know different, having done a degree in medicine :confused: But of course google is the God of all knowledge innit. :rolleyes:

All vegetables are fibrous - that's what they're made of, in the main.

Basically there are three main parts to your food - carbohydrate, fat and protein. Vegetables and fruit are mainly carbohydrate (with varying degrees of protein too but minimal fat).

Carbohydrate can be complex or simple. Simple carbohydrates are basically sugars - your body digests them easily with very little effort and turns them into fat or uses them as energy. Complex carbohydrates are a lot harder for your body to digest and could use up more energy to digest than your body could actually get out of them. Fibre is made of cellulose which is a complex carbohydrate, a lot of which your body can never digest so it comes out the other end.

A tomato is made of lots of carbohydrates - both sugars and cellulose (fibre). A LOT of fibre. Tinned tomatoes are mushed up tomatoes so a little of the breakdown work is already done and there is less fibre than in a standard tomato. Passata is even more mushed up with even more of the work done so less fibre again. Tomato juice has had so much bloody work done that hardly any fibre remains as it has been filtered out. It's almost all sugars.

It's no different to fruit vs fruit juice - you dont have to syn an apple because most of it needs work to digest and doesn't have all that many calories - its all water and fibre. But apple juice has had almost all the fibre taken out already so there's very little work left for your body to do and it just sits there and takes in all the sugars (there's *nothing left* to 'come out the other end') - so you have to count both fruit and tomato juice as syns as the healthiest stuff (the complex carbohydrates, mainly fibre) has already been filtered out/removed.

The above is a gross oversimplification but gives you the general idea I hope. It's better than the top hit of a quick google anyhow. :confused:

Thanks Ermintrude, I often wondered why fruit juice was syned, but could never understand the reasons behind it. Thanks to your simplified version, I now know, and it does make perfect sense :) x x

Well the reason it's synned I think is more that it is far, far easier to consume a huge amount of eg apple or orange juice than the equivalent calories in actual apples or oranges. A glass of orange juice is something like 30 oranges worth - you would never eat 30 oranges in the time it takes to drink a small glass of orange juice.

But it's based on the same principle, all food contains calories from sugars etc as well as from stuff that only 'comes out the other end'. If we turn everything into juice and chuck away (or break down) the stuff that comes out the other end we could consume an enormous amount of calories without actually getting full up - so its better to eat stuff that is filling but doesn't give us as many calories - ie to include more fibre and complex carbohydrates in our food. It will fill your stomach up but a lot will come out the other end rather than being stored/used by your body. Thats the basis of superfree I would have thought. Less sugars, more fibre. More to come out the other end. :D

That's just my opinion from my medical background btw, Im no expert and I dont know if SW would agree, but its certainly what a healthy diet *should* include.

(PS juices arent bad things of coures, they're not LOADS of syns and there's loads of good nutrition in them - but they're a lot easier to drink a LOT of very quickly when you could get plenty of the same nutrition by eating plenty of a variety of more solid fruit & veg)

Back