Scared to go along to a local meeting

snuggle69

Silver Member
I would love to give sw a go, I did buy all the pack off ebay, but didnt really understand it. I would like to go along to a local meeting so that it can all be explained to me properly but I just cant bring myself to do it, I just feel like everyone will look at me and I wont fit in. Does anyone know of any friendly local meets either in or near witham in essex?

I can't help with local meetings, sorry!

Don't be scared though, EVERYONE going to the meetings are there for exactly the same reason as you are!

I had never been to a slimming club before I joined SW and had no idea what to expect. I just went in and saw the C and was told to grab a drink at sit at the new members table, there was a couple of others there with me, she went through everything and it didn't hurt one bit! ;) Just take the plunge, we all had to do it sometime!!!

Good luck, hope you manage to find a nice group :)

Morningggg you really must get that thinking out of your head completely. No one goes to any classes and judges anyone as everyone is there for the same reason to shift the weight.

Please just ring sw hotline and find a class close to you once you enter them doors, stand on them scales you will feel proud of yourself it will be the start of a new journey for you!!!!!!!

"BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE FIRST MOVE AND GRAB IT"
Good luck xx

Find the details of the local class and ring the Consultant and tell her how you feel. She'll make sure that you'll feel comfy walking in and will be ready to welcome you and settle you in.
Phone today before you have a chance to think about it too much and then you can look forward your first meeting.

Good morning. I just wanted to let you know, 8 weeks ago I was feeling how you are now.
8 weeks on and 22lbs lighter I can say it was the best decision I made. Yes I felt nervous but everyone is lovely and like others have said we all go for the same reason.
I wish I lived near you and I would go with you.
Give a consultant a call and go for it !!
Let us know how you get on
Big hugs xx

I agree with the others.
We are all at SW for the same reason.
Don't be nervous, everyone is always lovely.
I have been to a few classes and people are always friendly.
You won't regret it, honestly.
The only regret you will have is if you wait too long before joining!

I followed SW from home for a couple of years before my weightloss slowed to a standstill, so I bit the bullet & joined a class.
Just go for it! It wont be anything like as scary as you're imagining and you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Even if you really aren't comfortable, then at least you can be sure of having up to date books, and you'll be given the 'new members talk' by your consultant, so you might feel more in control to carry on going it alone.

Either way, you can't lose...it's only one meeting, and an hour or so - it could well change your life ♥

I joined last July and went by myself and didn't know anyone who went. So pleased I took that step. The leader is wonderful and so is everyone in the class. All very supportive and caring. When I had a bit of a wobbler and cried in class a few weeks ago they were great.

Irene xx

aww please don't worry hun know one will be looking at u everybody will be in the same boat as u and there will be quite a few (looking at your stats) thats r bigger than u and/or was bigger than u.
everyone feels the same when they start hun but class is really worth it hun. can u get a friend to come with u.

Thanks for all your replies, I have another week of the bodychef diet that I have paid for then maybe I will try to be brave! I know that there will be people far bigger than me there, but I still see myself as the 19/20 stone I was 5 years ago, probably got less confidence of my body now than I did then which probably sounds totally nuts!

if you do decide to go (which I strongly recommend) then I wish you well. I can only reaffirm what others have said. You will be made to feel very welcome and if you decide to keep going along then you can do in the confidence that your successes will be shared and your misgivings supported :D

Well I have had a look and at a push there is a meeting I can attend on a tuesday night at 7pm, be a bit of a rush as I dont get home from work till around 6.15. Although I have another 5 days of the very yummy bodychef diet to eat I think I am best to strike while the irons hot and try to go tomorrow night. Then I will be pestering you because I wont understand what I'm meant to be doing!! Thanks for all your support even though I havent joined the ranks yet!!

Good for you hun. I started in November very very nervous about going to my first meeting, I arrived saw the C unpacking her car and got so nervous I drove off :eek: 15 mins later I returned and told myself not to be so silly, I walked in and never looked back now here I am over 3 stone lighter :D

You have nothing to lose (pardon the pun) and everything to gain by going so good luck

I know the feeling, and I had to really push myself to go to that first meeting, but as the others have said, once you do it, you'll realise how welcome you feel and how at ease you'll become with the whole idea of the class and its support.
It really is extremely worthwhile!

I really hope that you do make it to group!
I also felt quite nervous walking in there the first time, but now it's a decision I'm really glad I took. I felt like I was one of the biggest in my group (and might have been), but now after 15 weeks I am in the medium weight range there and feeling great!

I'm still the biggest in my group as far as I know, I certainly feel I am, but no-one's bothered by that at all, and to be honest, neither am I lol

You WILL fit in because you are the same as they are! The other people at a SW group are there because they are overweight and want to be thinner and healthier. That's why you will be there.

They will be all sorts of different people - in my group there is a huge age range, there are some people with quite high-powered jobs, there are some who are retired, there are some full-time mothers, a few are men, they come from all sorts of backgrounds - but they are all there for the same reason, they have the same doubts and uncertainties as you.

OK, so you have to be brave once, when you go through the door for the first time. After that it will be easy.

It's just a natural feeling!! Not many people can walk into a new class with total confidence and no apprehensions at all!! Anyone who can, please can I have some life coaching from you?!?!!! I'm a very gregarious, outgoing person who everyone thinks is confident, but sometimes I'm a nervous wreck inside- I just hide it well!! Joining my class on October 26th was the best thing I could ever have done! I'm now on the social committee and help out on the other side of the desk!!X

It's just a natural feeling!! Not many people can walk into a new class with total confidence and no apprehensions at all!! Anyone who can, please can I have some life coaching from you?!?!!! I'm a very gregarious, outgoing person who everyone thinks is confident, but sometimes I'm a nervous wreck inside- I just hide it well!! Joining my class on October 26th was the best thing I could ever have done! I'm now on the social committee and help out on the other side of the desk!!X

Yep thats me to, I have to have confidence in my job, and be outgoing...but for some reason this really is a big deal to me, its partly why I followed the bodychef plan first, so I could lose the first couple of stone and try to gain a bit of confidence for walking in...well the couple of stone is done...but the confidence isnt lol.

Back