Scrumbles' diary...life after losing a third of me...

Really interesting experiment... My weight can fluctuate by as much as 4 or 5lbs during the day that's why it's so important to weigh first thing x

Really? That much!:eek: I had no idea. I hate to think what I weigh now I've had dinner, then!:D

I'll try and make sure I weigh in first thing for the next few days - I want my data to be as consistent as possible.

Day 11

Yesterday's stats: 1920 calories, 87g carbs.

Today's weight: 198.8lbs

Looks like I'm about two and a half pounds up on my starting weight at this point. Three more days to go!

Out of interest I ran my stats through a BMR calculator yesterday, and my resting metabolic rate ought to be about 1600 calories a day. Add on 500 for daily activity (just moving around a bit - not even exercising!) and I *shouldn't* gain weight unless I'm eating more than 2100 calories a day, which I'm definitely not.

I'm not on any medications and have no known medical conditions, so either I'm holding water like mad because of the extra carbs, or my metabolism is lower than predicted for my height, weight and age. It's almost tempting to keep going just to see whether I would continue gaining indefinitely or stabilise, but I do need to lose this weight, so maybe not!

ETA: Actually, what would be really interesting - to me, anyway - would be to keep calories more or less the same and just drop the carbs right down and see if I started losing just doing that. Problem is I don't think I could physically eat that much on very low carb - as soon as I'm in ketosis my appetite goes through the floor. Oh well.

Last edited:
I think there is plenty of evidence that calories in/ calories out equation is far too simple for the body! You may find that you want to find a carb level that makes you a bit hungrier but not ravenous - for example i find half a slice of burgen bread (5g) for breakfast with my usual bacon and eggs makes me hungrier for the day without causing major cravings or problems - unless i dont want to be h gry of course;)

Yes it's odd how our bodies work... And your experiment is really interesting cx

Day 12

Yesterday's stats: 1950 calories, 93g carbs.

Today's weight: 197.6lbs

Back down a pound from yesterday, which is nice to see. I "went to the park" good and proper this morning, so that probably helped :cool::D.

Two more days to go after today, then it's back to low-carbing - quite looking forward to it now. My main complaint over the last couple of weeks is that I've felt bloated most of the time, so it will be good not to have to deal with that.

I think there is plenty of evidence that calories in/ calories out equation is far too simple for the body! You may find that you want to find a carb level that makes you a bit hungrier but not ravenous - for example i find half a slice of burgen bread (5g) for breakfast with my usual bacon and eggs makes me hungrier for the day without causing major cravings or problems - unless i dont want to be h gry of course;)

I think I'm going to shoot for 25g of carbs and 1600 calories. Hopefully that amount of carbs should get me into ketosis but be enough to stop me starving myself, which I'm somewhat prone to do.

Yes it's odd how our bodies work... And your experiment is really interesting cx

Aye, no two people seem alike, really! Have to say, I've been finding it fun...just hope something actually comes of it! :D

Hope you've had a good day? Xx

@ Di, I did indeed - felt really good and energetic for most of the time. Not so hot today though - woken up with a horrid headache that doesn't seem to want to shift on its own. Might have to resort to a painkiller :(

@ LF, I've been finding myself going to the park more regularly this past two weeks, but with variable results, shall we say! Not much of a fan of spinach, but I'll note it just in case!

Day 13

Yesterday's stats: 1960 calories, 87g carbs

Today's weight: 197.2lbs

Exactly 1lb heavier than when I started. Unless something dramatic happens tomorrow, that will be the same as my gain from my Xmas break. If so, I'll take it!

One observation I haven't mentioned is that I swear my body temperature has gone up this past two weeks. On these chilly evenings recently I've been sitting around in sleeveless tops with no heating on and haven't been feeling the cold at all. Usually I'm the first person to reach for a cardie when the house temperature starts dropping, but not at the moment. I guess that's where some of these extra calories have been going - stoking the furnace :confused:

Not much gain at all!! I'd be at least 2st up if I did it! Lol

Ketogenic diets are known for the chilly effect. We don't have the excess fuel to burn for heat because fat is harder work to burn. I'm a cold person anyway (anaemia) so my biggest problem with this diet is needing lots of extra jumpers ;)

Day 14

Yesterday's stats: 1940 calories, 94g carbs

Today's weight: 197.2lbs (no change from yesterday)

This was supposed to be the last day of the break, but, as we're out all day tomorrow visiting family, it makes sense to extend it for one more day (I won't have to refuse the wine then:cool:). I won't be tracking, but I'll be keeping as close to the current plan as possible. I think by now I should know what's on and off limits.

Not much gain at all!! I'd be at least 2st up if I did it! Lol

Lol, to be honest, halfway through I thought I'd be up at least 4 or 5lbs, but apparently not. I certainly won't be concerned about overshooting my targets by a few extra cals or carbs after this!

Ketogenic diets are known for the chilly effect. We don't have the excess fuel to burn for heat because fat is harder work to burn. I'm a cold person anyway (anaemia) so my biggest problem with this diet is needing lots of extra jumpers ;)

Not looking forward to ending this, then - well, not unless we're actually going to get a summer this year :(. Even spring would be nice, come to think of it! :rolleyes: I like being warm :(

Yesterday's stats: 1980 calories, 85g carbs

Today's weight: 197.2lbs

So that's it. I'm 1lb up from 2 weeks ago - not too bad. I'll change my ticker when I have time tomorrow.

Apart from the bloating, this has been okay and in some ways I've felt better than when I was strictly adhering to very low carb. I hope this will kick-start me into a new phase of weight loss, but even if it doesn't, I think I've learnt a few things - like if I eat a few extra carbs I'm not going to gain a ton of weight overnight!

Clean and green from tomorrow :D

Foods I'm going to miss: jacket potatoes, lentils, houmous, peas, oatcakes :wave_cry:

Foods I'm not going to miss: rice cakes (like eating a polystyrene ceiling tile) and reduced sugar baked beans (overly-sweet, gunky, kinda tasteless - waste of carbs!)

Oh, and there'll be no booze for the next two weeks...that's gonna hurt!

Gotta be done, though. Onwards and downwards, fingers crossed...

Good luck for induction, I hope you've had the boost you need xxx

Really interesting experiment and well done for cataloguing so thoroughly ! I doubt if that experiment would have the same results for me - aren't bodies puzzling! I'd have more than likely gained a stone ! Lol

Good luck for induction, I hope you've had the boost you need xxx

Thanks, Karen...I hope so too! Was nice to have a change for a while at any rate :D

Really interesting experiment and well done for cataloguing so thoroughly ! I doubt if that experiment would have the same results for me - aren't bodies puzzling! I'd have more than likely gained a stone ! Lol

You never know - maybe, maybe not!

Chances are I wasn't over-eating significantly enough either calorie-wise or carbs-wise to make much difference in the end. I never exceeded 2000 calories and that is considered a maintenance number for the average woman; at my height and with the extra bulk I carry, in theory I *ought* to be able to manage that without gaining. And at 90-100g of carbs per day, that's still pretty low compared to the standard grain-based diet, so although it wouldn't produce ketosis, it didn't spectacularly de-rail me either.

Mind you, I don't know what would have happened had I carried on. Maybe I would have stayed pretty much the same over the long term, but then maybe that pound would have been joined by another in a fortnight's time, then another, and so on. Would have been interesting to find out, but I'm on a mission to lose some more wobble before summer is over so I need to crack on.

I will have to 'fess up that not all of my food is perfect Induction material today :eek:. I had the end of a tub of greek yoghurt to finish, so I've had that, and I'm having carrots tonight because...I like them :p:D. I also had a splash of milk in my tea this afternoon, and I guess I really ought to give that up for a couple of weeks as well :(. That said, even with the yoghurt, the carrots and the milk my carbs are going to be on the low side for today (nearer 20g than 25g) so until I've got my veggie carbs planned a bit better, I kind of *need* them (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, lol).

B - coffee with cream, cheese omelette with a frankfurter

L - tuna with cabbage, mug of tea

S - greek yoghurt

D - 3 x Sainsbury's Sicilian-style sausages with buttered kale and carrots

LOTS of water.

Back to weekly weigh-ins from now on - fingers crossed...

Morning! Such clarity in your posts.., I wish my brain had that ability lol

The menu looks great too! X

Thanks, Di...I still feel a bit like I'm writing up an experiment for a school science project, lol.

Yesterday I was a teensy bit peckish and cranky, but today I feel absolutely normal again. I had no trouble jumping back into very low carb after Xmas and it seems I'm having no trouble this time either. Wonder if I'll get "Atkins flu"? When I started back in November I felt dreadful from about day 3 to day 7, but then I suppose I had a MAJOR carb-detox to work through. I suspect it won't be anything like as bad this time, if I get it at all. I don't have any sense of being in ketosis yet, but I guess it's too soon for that.

Anyway, food:

B - coffee with cream, cheese omelette with a frankfurter

L - mushroom soup (home-made, with butter and cream - yum!)

S - mackerel in olive oil, Edam, mug of tea (haven't kicked my milk habit quite yet :rolleyes:)

D - chicken curry with steamed cabbage

LOTS of water.

Yummy menu !! Hope you've had a good day xx

Back