Segregated groups

I used to cringe at the euphemism, not the fact that they were talking about it!

Yes it's the euphemism I cringe at rather than the mention of menstruation. Even in my group where we are all female they all still refer to it as a star week!

Ha sounds a bit like at school when the teacher marked our periods in the register so we couldn't get out of swimming lessons too often! Girls' school though, so no stars for us, they put a big P instead!

I have been members of several SW and WW groups over the years and there have always been men there - nowhere near as many as women admittedly. There are two men who stay to my current (smallish compared to my old group) meeting - plus our Consultant is male - and they are both pretty active in discussing their tips and recipes.

Men do get fussed over it, I love it, but some don't. Also,,there is less money to be made from men. You don't get many 'I need to lose ten pounds for my holidays' members, which is the bread and butter for weight loss groups. Instead you get the 'oh my god I'm 5/6/7/8/9 stone overweight and my doctor has said I'm going to have a heart attack if I don't do something about it'.

We only have a couple of fellas stay to image therapy in our group and they both sit at the back. I always feel for them when * week is mentioned, but that's probably because I wouldn't discuss something so personal in a public forum myself! BTW, I'm not knocking ladies who do mention it though, as it's great that they feel comfortable enough in group.

ha whenever I've gained I've claimed the excuse of men having a 'star week'. The other month though I was in the queue, the people in front of me where discussing their new HRT, the others behind their star week and the woman sitting adjacent about her painful nipples from breast feeding.

ha whenever I've gained I've claimed the excuse of men having a 'star week'. The other month though I was in the queue, the people in front of me where discussing their new HRT, the others behind their star week and the woman sitting adjacent about her painful nipples from breast feeding.

Ha on the bright side maybe that helps make you glad you're a man!

When I started I was the only man in a room of 50 women! We get on great with good banter, we now have a few more men but they don't always stay.

There are a few men in our group who stay to image therapy, my husband being one of them :)

One thing I'm intrigued by is SW Central's policies. Our consultant told us that even though men can win Miss Slinky in group, they can't go on to the nationals (and there's no Mr Slinky). She also said that gay couples can't get Couple of the Year at the national level. Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes it's the euphemism I cringe at rather than the mention of menstruation. Even in my group where we are all female they all still refer to it as a star week!

As a bloke who has to live with the effects, I tend to call it "argh week", well, the week before anyway :D

There are quite a few men in my group, a lot of them are part of a couple. One of them has done really well and lost over 8 stone. But only 3 of them stay for image therapy, so I guess they might not be comfortable talking about it xxx

One thing I'm intrigued by is SW Central's policies. Our consultant told us that even though men can win Miss Slinky in group, they can't go on to the nationals (and there's no Mr Slinky). She also said that gay couples can't get Couple of the Year at the national level. Does anyone know if this is true?

How can a man win Miss Slinky? It's like a woman winning man of the year!! Very odd to even consider it.
However, same sex couples can indeed win couple of the year and go on to the nationals, as long as they are in criteria.

Whilst that's a lot of fun, it's a bit unfair for the ladies of the group but I guess all groups are different.
Even so, I struggle to understand how someone could expect to go forward to the nationals as a mail miss slinky (not saying Pete did expect, just in response to the other post!)

Whilst that's a lot of fun, it's a bit unfair for the ladies of the group but I guess all groups are different.
Even so, I struggle to understand how someone could expect to go forward to the nationals as a mail miss slinky (not saying Pete did expect, just in response to the other post!)

I don't think it'd go as far as nationals (not sure, don't go to group), but I suppose until they introduced a Mr. Slinky it would be a bit unfair it a man COULDN'T win it *shrugs*

Yes I do think some of the criteria with the comps is a bit strange!

Would have thought same sex couples would have been entitled to go through to the nationals though

I don't think it'd go as far as nationals (not sure, don't go to group), but I suppose until they introduced a Mr. Slinky it would be a bit unfair it a man COULDN'T win it *shrugs*

I suppose its a case of remembering everyones a winner lol as if we look at the comps and sotw etc to closely none of its fair particularly, like single people can't win couple of the year etc

Back