self help/inspirational books

jools1986

Silver Member
can anyone recommend any good weight loss books?
x

Well I just spent Sunday afternoon reading Gary Taubes book - Why we get fat (thanks to whoever mentioned this over the weekend - couldnt refind the thread!!!).

Although there is some controversy, I thought it was quite a useful review of how low carb diets work. As well as providing useful arguments if someone hassles you, for me it was inspirational about getting into low carb as a lifestyle rather than a diet so that your body could work effectively.

I thought i would follow up on the Taubes book with a reflection about my cats - hang in there it is relevant:D

Both cats are now 8ish and are rescue kittens and think of me/dh as mummy. They are also cosseted indoor kitties. Think of each other as brothers altho actually very different shapes/sizes. We have always fed them freely on hills dried food and water.

S is sleek long legged black moggie who has had a belly flap/paunch for many years. Always been mostly asleep and lazy
C is shorter slightly rounder tabby but bounced around and healthy weight

In sept i was devastated to discover that S has Genetic kidney disorder (pkd) which could be the end anytime (life expectancy 3 months to 10 years!). My baby :(

Anyhow, to help out we switched the food to low protein as cant feed them separately

The difference in 3 months is amazing
S has lost any excess weight, looks incredibly healthy and charges around the house with energy
C has got so fat and round he can barely move and sleeps all the time

To me this supports the hypothesis in the book that the key is managing hunger/fat effects through diet content not amount restriction. Clearly C is now hungrier, eats more and does less. I am not going to blame his willpower and ask him to eat less and exercise more!

And so to my plan - S isnt allowed much/any protein so we stick with the special dried food free to eat for both of them. Once a day we feed C 1/3 tin of tuna to up his protein

Hopefully in 3 months they will both be back to being fit and healthy :D watch this space.....

The useful arguments bit is great! Deliberately start using scientific language and watch the pure panic in their eyes!

Keep us updated on the cats, I love a diet experiment!

Back