self help/inspirational books

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by jools1986, 8 February 2011 Social URL.

1. jools1986

jools1986 Silver Member

Diet:
    Natural Ketosis Company/Atkins
    can anyone recommend any good weight loss books?
    x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Well I just spent Sunday afternoon reading Gary Taubes book - Why we get fat (thanks to whoever mentioned this over the weekend - couldnt refind the thread!!!).

Although there is some controversy, I thought it was quite a useful review of how low carb diets work. As well as providing useful arguments if someone hassles you, for me it was inspirational about getting into low carb as a lifestyle rather than a diet so that your body could work effectively.

4. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    I thought i would follow up on the Taubes book with a reflection about my cats - hang in there it is relevant:D

Both cats are now 8ish and are rescue kittens and think of me/dh as mummy. They are also cosseted indoor kitties. Think of each other as brothers altho actually very different shapes/sizes. We have always fed them freely on hills dried food and water.

S is sleek long legged black moggie who has had a belly flap/paunch for many years. Always been mostly asleep and lazy
    C is shorter slightly rounder tabby but bounced around and healthy weight

In sept i was devastated to discover that S has Genetic kidney disorder (pkd) which could be the end anytime (life expectancy 3 months to 10 years!). My baby :(

Anyhow, to help out we switched the food to low protein as cant feed them separately

The difference in 3 months is amazing
    S has lost any excess weight, looks incredibly healthy and charges around the house with energy
    C has got so fat and round he can barely move and sleeps all the time

To me this supports the hypothesis in the book that the key is managing hunger/fat effects through diet content not amount restriction. Clearly C is now hungrier, eats more and does less. I am not going to blame his willpower and ask him to eat less and exercise more!

And so to my plan - S isnt allowed much/any protein so we stick with the special dried food free to eat for both of them. Once a day we feed C 1/3 tin of tuna to up his protein

Hopefully in 3 months they will both be back to being fit and healthy :D watch this space.....

5. J2BLUE

J2BLUE Low Carber

Start Weight:
    0st0lb
    Current Weight:
    0st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    0st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(NAN%)
    The useful arguments bit is great! Deliberately start using scientific language and watch the pure panic in their eyes!

Keep us updated on the cats, I love a diet experiment!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.