Shift work

jaxmummy

Silver Member
Starting another job next friday as an hca. Now ive never done this job before and it consists of nights and long days. Lokking for any expeirences of slimming on a shift system as well as foods to take ( especially for middle of the night )

Cheers guys

I work shifts but don't do night shifts however I remember when one of the nurses at work was following SW (and consequently resulting in losing 6 stone in a year!) she made up lots of super free vegetable soups/quorn sausage casserole so basically bulking up on lots of free foods. On top of that, mullerlights and fruit are your friends! :)

On the work front, I work 7am-4pm in blocks of 3/4 days and 3pm-11pm. You'll probably find your body prefers one over the other, I LOVE lates just because I'm quite awake in the evening anyway and then love being able to have a lie-in the following day.
Good luck with the new job! :D

I'm also interested in any advice - i am starting my course to be a Midwife in September and will be working shifts for the first time. I've had 5 years of a 8.30-5 job, so the shifts and how i'm going to cope with eating properly is something i want to get my head around before i start!

I've worked shifts for many years now, earlies, lates and nights. I'm lucky in that I have access to a kitchen so can take easy food to work. Also unfortunately I can eat all night without any problem.

I suppose I just eat normal easy foods, beans on toast/jacket. sardines on toast, various salads, sometimes packet pasta and sauce. If i've cooked at home will take in leftovers (if I ever leave any!)
I do make sure I take plenty of food on a night shift so I wont be tempted by the biscuits already in the cupboard, so plenty of fruit, yogurt, sugar free jelly, anything to keep me munching into the wee hours and to stop me from falling asleep. Carrot sticks and dips are another good one.

Good luck.

Vanda

I used to work as a night sister several years ago. I used to drink loads of tea at night and I used to snack on fruit only, take one low cal hot choc sachet and a packet of french fries. I used to have the french fries ( from memory 4.5 syns) and hot choc about 4-5am, this boosted my blood sugar enough for the last couple of hours and do a coherent handover. I used to snack on the fruit all night long. When I got home at 8am I used to have a normal breakfast before bed.I needed to go to bed on a full tum or I couldnt sleep. A normal lunch at 2pm when I got up and my main meal around 7pm before going back in for the next night. I found this the only way, otherwise I was eating all night and eating all the usual mealtimes in the day too. Lots of staff put on weight if they work nights and often eat lots of bikkies and tea!

On the rare occasions I did earlies. I used to take my weetabix in and a muller.

On lates, I used to take a tupperware container with my dinner in.

I found the key was to plan ahead.

Good luck in your new job!

Back