Shift workers

Hi all,
I was wondering how shift workers are finding attending class? I joined slimming world 4 weeks ago, but had to miss last week as I had work! I assumed because i had informed the leader of this at registration, that it would work like WW an missed weeks due to shifts, where fine! I was informed today at class that I had to pay for missed weeks even if I was working, an would have to give her notice in future! My leader then said I had to pay last weeks missed week an this week before getting weighed! I told her I wouldn't (only had 1 weeks cash on me) and couldn't give her the notice she wanted as I can be kept at work without notice myself. I am gutted I can't attend classes now as I love the plan, but the attitude of SW appalled me! It was humiliating, an to make it worse a few weeks back the leader waived a few people's missed weeks as holidays yet I couldn't have that option! Is this the same at all classes? Sorry to rant on, hope your all having a fab day! :)

Hi that's wrong! I work shifts and my boss is very good about not giving me lates on a tues but sometimes it can't be helped! I NEVER pay for missed weeks! She says as long as I text her before the end of group it's fine, there is a box on the application you fill put at the first group that asks do you work shifts!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes I ticked that box an also told the leader that I'd try to get to every class but may not be able to get to the odd one a month! She didn't have a prob then, I might approach a new class see if a different leader is better! Was looking forward to weigh in but headed home feeling sorry for myself - so tempted to binge!

Q:Q: If I can't attend the same group each week, because I am a shift worker or work in different areas, can I go to a different group?
A: Yes, the support you get in your group is vital to your success. Shiftworkers should let their Consultant know in advance if they cannot attend, then they will not be charged.

You will be welcomed at any of our groups nationally, whether you are working away or on holiday. Please take your XpressWeigh card and Food Optimising book along to your alternative group so you can keep a record of your personal achievements.

I JUST COPIED THAT OFF THE WEBSITE, JUST TEXT/CALL HER NOW AND SAY HOW YOU FEEL AND THAT YOUVE BEEN ON THE FAQ'S ON THE WEBSITE AND IT SAYS YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY. AND DONT BINGE, COS IT WONT HELP!

I asked my consultant at the first meeting if I had to let her know if I couldn't attend one evening because of work and she said no, as long as I'd ticked the box for shift working I'd be fine.

When I went to my last group and had to miss a meeting you would have thought I was trying to get in for free! The woman taking the money made such a drama over it. and the consultant actually said I should take it as holiday, blatant disregard of SW rules!

That is awful, not all consultants are like that - if there is another group local to you join that one as Slimming World is such a fab plan, it would be such a shame if she meant you couldn't fully enjoy it :)

I'm a shiftworker in a call centre. I always text my C if I am not going to her class & try & go to either a morning if on a late or a evening if on an early but keep it to the same day if poss. It can make a difference getting WI at different times of the day but it keeps me in line. HTH x

HI im a shift worker when i joined SW i told my C and ticked the box but still have to text or ring the morning of the SW meeting just to confirm and ive never paid for those missed sessions and i can only go everyother week just have a little chat maybe there might of been some sort of mix up I myself always keep the text she texts me confirming my missed session just incase this happend to me :) xx

Yep I never get charged if I can't make a class cos of work, I always try to go to a class though.

Thats how I found my current group which is fab, was disillusioned with my old group all they talked about was how much vodka they could drink at a weekend if they didn't have any syns through the week.

Try swapping groups nit could work for you.
K xx

Thanks for all your help guys! I really enjoy slimming world so I won't give up! There is another class locally so I might go there, my leader never gave me her number so wouldn't be able to contact her! I'll look at this as a minor blip hopefully :) thanks again!

I stopped going to SW last summer because of this. I started a placement as a duty social worker which meant that if an emergency call came in I had to stay until it was dealt with. As it was an emergency there was no opportunity for time to text or phone my C as we had to go out straight away. She was really funny with me even though I explained the situation and put me down as a shift worker but said I'd stil have to pay if I didn't phone in advance. At that point I stopped going to class (last May) and it took me another 6 months to re-find the motivation to do it from home. :(

ah and thats wrong that she never gave you her phone number, they're supposed to be there for help, motivation and queries through the week as well. I suppose with everything there's good and bad. For me it was all about finding a group that worked for me. There's a couple within a 5 mile radius for me but choose to go about 15 mile away cos I like the consultant and she had 4 groups at a variety of different times.

Just as I am writing this just got a text off my consultant to gee us up for group this week.

Don't let it put you off!
K xx

I'll echo all of the above, especially the part C&P from the FAQs. Sounds like your C has chosen at least one 'iffy' member to be on her social team. What a shame :(
I don't know the ins and outs of how the C sorts it for shift workers, but I know on the laptop there is no option for the social team to click 'shift worker', and thereby override the missed week. It's a definite glitch that SW really do need to address - I know we've at least one member of our group who used to get really peeved because EVERY week the system asked her for back-pay, and EVERY week we had to go ask the C. We couldn't just click 'over ride', else it would come out of her holidays, which wouldn't be fair. From what's been said above it sounds like it's a SW issue, but it really should be dealt with - you can't be the only one who's been deterred by this :.(

If someone has been off due to shifts and stuff with permission of my C I usually just book it as notified absence.

hel10683 said:
I stopped going to SW last summer because of this. I started a placement as a duty social worker which meant that if an emergency call came in I had to stay until it was dealt with. As it was an emergency there was no opportunity for time to text or phone my C as we had to go out straight away. She was really funny with me even though I explained the situation and put me down as a shift worker but said I'd stil have to pay if I didn't phone in advance. At that point I stopped going to class (last May) and it took me another 6 months to re-find the motivation to do it from home. :(

Funny that, I work in the same industry so have the same kinda issue! It could of knocked me for six but I'm determined to continue one way or another! :)

I'm a shift worker and I've never had a problem I tend to text the day before saying I'm working and probably won't make it if I get there on time it's not Problem and have never had to pay! Or use holiday! But I always warn her the day before! Never during class bc they phone head office at 1230 to do it I wi at 5pm xx

Funny that, I work in the same industry so have the same kinda issue! It could of knocked me for six but I'm determined to continue one way or another! :)

Good for you - you sound determined and I'm sure you'll stick with it. I wish I'd stuck with it. I didn't really gain in the 6 months that I wasn't following plan but I didn't lose either so I wasted all of that time. I'm finally losing now but I would have been somewhere near target now without that 6 month gap. Good luck!

mummymoo said:
notified absence doesnt prevent back fees just acknowledges you wont be at group. Its usually used by regular target members who cant come one week for some reason

If you ticked the shift workers box on your sign up sheet it explains you do not have to pay if you inform you consultant the day before at the latest you will not be able to attend due to work commitments. It's on the sw website too under FAQ! X

Back