Shopping bill

Lexie2005

5:2 lover
Anyone else think their shopping bill has about doubled??? I know it will be worth it but OMG why is it so much cheaper to eat crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first started it was ridiculous, but as you go you soon get the hang of bringing the costs down!

My shopping bill for me and my OH this week was £36.00 including £5.50 delivery from tesco :D

i highly recomend only shopping as you buy only what you need like REALLY need.. i went tesco other day buy bits n bobs and spent £90! but on paper there was only about £32 worth of food its when i see this and that and oh that on offer :eek:

also if you go on slimming world website they have a student part where an do a weeks shop for £35 for a family of four!
I've done a green week this week and saved loads not buying meats etc, i brought a bag of potatos £3.35 for huge bag from tesco and still havnt ran out i use everyday for different meals! u can even just have sw chips and beans as a meal! i was complaining around 2 weeeks ago about my shopping bill but getting used to it now and wouldnt be without planning!

there's a website where you can price check products from most of the big supermarkets so you can compare where things are the cheapest or where special offers are on (and what date they finish which is useful) but obviously if it means you would be spending more money travelling between different supermarkets it can kind of defeat the point a little :p theres also a thread on here with where all the good offers are which i use all the time, i think its a sticky so it should be easy to find xx

Edit: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/40089-where-bargains-anything-else-thats-useful.html

Last edited:
Anyone else think their shopping bill has about doubled??? I know it will be worth it but OMG why is it so much cheaper to eat crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree lmao! It's not right, the cheap offers is always on biccies and crap :/ xxxx

moved

Last edited:
I am spending like £10 a day sometimes. I constantly seem to be running out of fruit and things. its hard to plan at home where i have limited space to store food. then i buy extra bits and bobs on top, must spend 100s a week. Might try not to shop AT ALL next week. Food is my only spend tho, as no rent (still at home, and its parents money still!) and i am very very thrifty when it comes to clothes. I got 25+ items of nearly new clothes including skirts, dresses, trousers, jumpers, tee shirts, blouses (80% of those from Topshop, the rest from NewLook/Zara/Dotty Ps/H&M) for £5.30 at the carboot on sunday!!!
Im finding the spends on fruit to be the worst, i love fruit anyway but my intake has x4 since starting and its bloody expensive when everything rippens at once and you end up withput any before and after its gone!

Last edited:
I do indeed, i buy as cheap as i can of everything and smartprice etc and vegetables.fruit thats reduced FIRST if i can and always buy the cheaper option. its just insane atm!
I keep runnign out of things, and end up buuying extras when i go to get that one ingrediant. need to plan my weeks meals i think

Not a bean snob...just dont like them.
I did buy some bbq beans today which where 57p a tin, pricy but at least i can eat them at a push.
normal beans make me gag a litle lol

...well for my mum! I feel guilty that I am lucky enough that we can afford it, but once i move out i will have to force myself to have bloomin beans! Will plan my meals for the rest of the week from what i already have and try not to buy anything else (but i already need more fruit!) So one trip for fruit/veg 2mo and thats it. Will use what have got in the cuboards and see how i get on! I have cooked alot recently and have frozen extra portions of things so its not as bad i guess as the spends are for over a longer time but i think i will have to make a challange for myself to spend as little as posisble!
Its market day 2mo so will check out if there is any decent fruit.veg for cheaps....although usualy our markets fruit is always a bit skank :(

healthy=expensive!!

i agree, eating healthy is definately expensive! government want families to eat more healthy and blame parents for obese children!:eek: i think the price of healthy foods should be lowered therefor aiding parents not blaming them!!
by the way does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to jordans cereal as a heb? £2.98 at asdas today!! X

i think i am going mad, i went round Tesco tonight with a list and my iPhone and i totted up the cost of my shopping as i went round....once i had got to my budget i had pretty much got everything so i paid and went!!! bought some offers that i wouldnt have if i had been doing it online, but saved the delivery cost!!!

So my shopping came in at just over £50 for 2 for a week! not much non food items either! fab!

Next week i will have an online shop from Ocado or Waitrose Deliver.....woop!!!

x

We've had numerous threads on this subject that are packed with hints and tips on how to keep the costs down. I really do think that it's more the case that people's shopping and cooking habits make it expensive as many people manage to do SW on a very limited budget.

I buy in bulk when things are on offer - like mugshots and Alpen Lights. The branded stuff is expensive but I'd never pay full price for the Alpen's for example. I have some plastic boxes in the understairs cupboard packed with them from the £1 a box offer recently!

I also bulk buy meat on offer. Earlier this year Tesco did half price on massive joints of beef, lamb, pork and gammon. I bought loads (probably 5 of each), split them into 2 person portions and froze them. We're still working through them now. I'll do a joint of gammon, have some one night roasted and turn the leftovers into at least 4 portions of gammon and cheese pasta, and freeze the leftovers for lunches.

I buy in bulk when things are on offer - like mugshots and Alpen Lights. The branded stuff is expensive but I'd never pay full price for the Alpen's for example. I have some plastic boxes in the understairs cupboard packed with them from the £1 a box offer recently!

I also bulk buy meat on offer. Earlier this year Tesco did half price on massive joints of beef, lamb, pork and gammon. I bought loads (probably 5 of each), split them into 2 person portions and froze them. We're still working through them now. I'll do a joint of gammon, have some one night roasted and turn the leftovers into at least 4 portions of gammon and cheese pasta, and freeze the leftovers for lunches.

great tips and ideas!!! i should be more frugal...but forget about things in the freezer!!! :confused: daft, but the way it is, then i always worry if it will be okay cos its been in the freezer so long! lol! x:rolleyes:

This is exactly how I shop! I have tonns of meat in my freezer - I have cooked a scrummy joint of Beef this morning that I bought a while back, It will be used for a roast dinner tonight, then lunch tomorrow & there will be enough for an evening meal of some sorts tomorrow night too!

I am gutted at the mo as I am on my last box of cadbury's fibre plus bars from when I stocked up on the Tesco's offers, need to find some more on offer, lol

. . .

Not a bean snob...just dont like them.
I did buy some bbq beans today which where 57p a tin, pricy but at least i can eat them at a push.
normal beans make me gag a litle lol

I can't stand tinned beans, I think they are quite disgusting. But I do sometimes make my own "baked beans" from scratch. I buy dried beans and soak them and cook them with vegetables and seasoning and sometimes with some meat (sometimes not) and they are absolutely delicious.

Packs of dried beans are very cheap.

I'm another bulk shopper, but then I have 5 people to feed. but the cost has only gone up slightly. I raid the reduced aisle, and anything in there that can be eaten that day or that can be frozen goes into my trolley.

I went to Morrisons the other night just before they closed and got a whole cooked chicken for 20p and some sliced turkey breast for 4p!!

Back