Shopping tips

Lady Marmalade

Bad girl warning...
I thought we could do with a thread where people can share their favourite Atkins-friendly products, those things that make this lifestyle a lot easier. Maybe also to give a heads up when you’ve seen low carb or Atkins products on sale or special offer.

I’m a big fan of Kerrygold Garlic Butter, it is so delicious and incredibly convenient. It comes in little packs of four mini-tubs, and half of one is just enough to fry up some garlic mushrooms. Or I use a whole tub to fry a steak, perfect if you don’t have time to marinade. I also like to soften some in the microwave, then rub it all over a chicken before roasting. I’m starting to sound like an advert now – other brands of garlic butter are available! – but I like the convenience of the mini-tubs, they keep for ages and nothing ever goes to waste. Couldn’t do Atkins without it.

What are your Atkins must-buys?

Ohhhh I am going to buy some of that! I never thought of doing that, and to be honest, my meat always tastes bland. Cardini caesar salad dressing is low carb and lush.

I tend to buy a lot of the various sausages from Lidl, the English ones of course but also the European smoked sausages and salamis etc... very handy to have around and if you get the right ones, very low carb.

I thought we could do with a thread where people can share their favourite Atkins-friendly products, those things that make this lifestyle a lot easier. Maybe also to give a heads up when you’ve seen low carb or Atkins products on sale or special offer.

I’m a big fan of Kerrygold Garlic Butter, it is so delicious and incredibly convenient. It comes in little packs of four mini-tubs, and half of one is just enough to fry up some garlic mushrooms. Or I use a whole tub to fry a steak, perfect if you don’t have time to marinade. I also like to soften some in the microwave, then rub it all over a chicken before roasting. I’m starting to sound like an advert now – other brands of garlic butter are available! – but I like the convenience of the mini-tubs, they keep for ages and nothing ever goes to waste. Couldn’t do Atkins without it.

What are your Atkins must-buys?
I like the garlic butter too, I get the lurpak one it is only 100g but does the trick. Only seen it in Asda and Tesco.

Boots website have an offer on the bars if you spend over £20 you save £5 or for the morning shine you can get 6 boxes for the price of 5 and free delivery over £40, not sure how that compares to the other online stores though.

I also love the Lidl sausages only 2g for 3 fat sausages in the pork and herb variety, well tasty, and they have an offer 2 packs for £4 on right now.

Asda have an offer on cheese at the mo, 2 x 400g packs for £3 for mature and extra mature cumbrian cheese.

Morrisons have BOGOF bacon packs

I have also noticed that in the smaller Boots stores they often have the bars knocked down when they get close to date, I guess they don't sell so many as the bigger stores, they had the crispy choc bars for 60p the other week, so I got 10, of course. :D

Do you think I spend too much time shopping?? :D

Sounds like I really should make the effort to get to my nearest Lidl...

I'm also going to keep an eye out for that Cardini sauce. I tend to have my salads undressed (hang on, not like that!) but it does get a bit monotonous.

I just thought of a recent discovery, Tesco have started doing own brand frozen burgers with mozzarella in them and they are NOMMY, there is also no rusk, wheat or dextrose content.

black farmer sausages at morrisons - gluten free and 1g of carbs per 100g of sossies, which is 2 or 3 of them, and they are very nice indeed!

Burgers - the best I have found so far are Tesco Country Store 4 Aberdeen Angus 1/4 pounders (454g) £1.99 and only 0.8 per grilled burger (they are only beef, salt and pepper) not sure where all the carbs come from??
They do just Tesco own frozen burgers 12 (681g) for £2.19 and they are only 0.2 per burger but they do contain rusk and other stuff.
They have beef and pork meatballs at .7 per 100g too.
I have made my own burgers and meatballs but they are such a faf, and sometimes you just want to bung something in the oven.

Caesar dressing - Morrisons fresh at only 0.9g per 100ml and it is really lovely

Lidl do great pancetta which I love in omelette

Yes they do TT, fantastic pancetta.

Asda have little tubs of Seriously Strong Cheddar spread at the mo, about 1.5g per tub. It melts down beautifully with a little bit of cream, for a cracking cheese sauce!

Fab thread guys!

I guess you can't have the famous Lidl sausages on induction? Maybe I'll reward myself with some on day 15. How sad am I? I'm motivated by the prospect of sausages, lol!

You can have the Lidl sausages Bessie, they are very low carb and you can just count the carbs as part of your daily 20 love.

Lidl do some '0' carb sausages - the are little ones 'Linessa' Reduced-Fat Authentic Nuremberg Pork Sausage, they are vacuum packed in the chiller section. The Full fat version have carb's but these ones are '0' I always keep some cold in the fridge for those snack moments!

Yes they do Barba, I prefer the full fat ones though, they are tastier.

Did you find them?

Is there a list on here for the foods we can eat?

I don't have a great deal of money and not too hot on cooking either. I don't want to end up eating chicken and salad, eggs and cheese etc. I've looked at the recipes and found that they seem complicated, or require ingredients which I've either never heard of or seem expensive.

Has anyone done the hard work in researching this or do I have to look for myself???

Soz for seeming lazy just that I do have a lot on at the moment and wanna give this diet a good shot! x

Hi love, yes I did the research. ;) go to the stickies at the top of this forum and you'll find loads of info. :)

Back