should i bin my so called junk pies

smart

Im 3 stone (42 pounds) overweight but have decided to try and lose weight without going to extremes. My plan is to have 3 balanced meals and limit snacks to fruit etc.

As i dont always have time to cook i usually mass cook meals then freeze them in foil rectangle containers to warm up later.

I made cottage pie. It has lean mince beef from a trusted local farm so hopefully no horse in it lol. Carrots peas onions. Organic tomato puree. Mixed Peppers. Mixed herbs. Worcester sause. Kno beef stock. Mash with skimmed milk and low fat marge.
I didnt put any salt in it as i try not to eat much salt

Anyway my work collegues are saying this meal is very unhealthy. I didnt think it was too bad but ive had alot of stick about it.

So im trusting you lot lol

Should i bin it?

Last edited:
To be honest I can't see a problem with this, the only thing I would swap is the lean mince for extra lean mince only because that's all we eat, but ur using skimmed milk already I really can't see a problem as long as the portion sizes are reasonable. Xxx

Sounds healthy to me, and as Nicki says if you can get extra lean mince then it's even better. As long as you're not eating double portions or anything then I don't see why you can't keep them.

smart said:
Im 3 stone (42 pounds) overweight but have decided to try and lose weight without going to extremes. My plan is to have 3 balanced meals and limit snacks to fruit etc.

As i dont always have time to cook i usually mass cook meals then freeze them in foil rectangle containers to warm up later.

I made cottage pie. It has lean mince beef from a trusted local farm so hopefully no horse in it lol. Carrots peas onions. Organic tomato puree. Mixed Peppers. Mixed herbs. Worcester sause. Kno beef stock. Mash with skimmed milk and low fat marge.
I didnt put any salt in it as i try not to eat much salt

Anyway my work collegues are saying this meal is very unhealthy. I didnt think it was too bad but ive had alot of stick about it.

So im trusting you lot lol

Should i bin it?

Your work colleagues obviously don't know what they're talking about, that sounds absolutely great! I must confess that I eat nothing but ready meals, and I'd love to have someone to cook me meals as nice as that one sounds. Tell them they're spouting rubbish, and amaze them with the healthier, trimmer you before too long! :) xx

Thanks everyone.

I had a cottage pie last night. I think the portion sze is abit much so i just cooked half. It filled me up and i didnt snack. Gunna carry on eating healthy and not drinking alky. Gunna weigh in on monday

I do Slimming World and I regularly eat cottage/shepards pie! In fact, the only things in your pie that I would have to "syn" is the milk (and if I didn't have any other dairy all day, it would be my Healthy A choice and not syns), the marge (which you've picked the lowest syn option so thats great), and the tomato puree, which isn't too bad. I tend to use pasata instead of tomato puree now because it's "free" but even so, your dish is basically what my weight loss leader would TELL me to eat on my diet. your work friends obviously don't know what they are talking about.

ps, if you make it again, try using swede and potato mash on top, instead of just potato. I find you don't really need the milk because the swede makes it softer, and it tastes SOOOO good!

That cottage pie sounds really nice. I don't know what your colleagues are talking about - it IS healthy, no worries there.

Back