Should I prepare??

annaphylactic

Guess who's back...?
Hi everyone,

I have been reading through various threads on this LL forum and am now SO excited I want to get started straight away!!

I met with my counsellor yesterday and am set to start with a new group on the 24th August - will be at the Stratford-upon-Avon LL with Amber... anyone else go there?

I was hoping to get going immediately, while my momentum was up and the adrenaline was there to get started, but now I have three weeks to wait I am really worried that I will lose the plot! On the upside, it means three weeks to 'get ready'.

Can anyone suggest any preparation techniques I should adopt? Cut down carbs...? Cut down food in general... etc etc to make the first week more bearable? Or should I just keep eating as normal so my body is more 'shocked' into ketosis??!

Anna

(PS get in touch if you are starting around the end of the month too... I want a weight loss pal! I'm 5'7'', 16st, hoping to lose 5-6 stone)

Hi Anna,

The best advice I can give you is to cut back on carbs. But saying that everyone is different. I went on a complete binge the week before I started and I was fine, but remember everyone is different. And the carb withdrawals are not so nice.

Good luck its the best thing I have ever done.

And keep posting we need more bods in here to chat to.

Hi Anna

I was like you I couldn't wait to get started (I was lucky and didn't have to wait too long) - most people say cut down on carbs beforehand if you can as its the carb withdrawal that causes most of the horrible feelings during the first few days...

Good luck - it's a GREAT journey :D

My advice would be just to prepare yourself mentally for abstinence, prepare yourself not to cheat, because if you do it just makes it so much harder. My withdrawal symptoms where not that bad, i actually made myself sick of food before i started because i ate so much of it, i didnt even feel like having my "last supper". I remember how much i didnt want to eat that night when i feel myself weakening. Good luck, its also the best thing thats ever happened to me..............be happy to have found it, and view it as a godsend, and a heavenly release from obesity....try not to feel hard done by, and sorry for yourself on it. Good luck!

I think the others are right. I cut back but without intending too. I think it was just because it was the right time for me and I was ready to start. I didn't have to wait long, a couple of weeks so I think it must be hard for you to have to wait but you'll get there and you do have time to prepare yourself mentally. Please let us know your successes! xx

Hi Anna :)

Welcome and good luck!

I had about a 6 or 7 week wait to start as it was near the holidays I discovered LL - so had to wait till after New Years. At first I panicked and thought I woudl lose momentum, but like you I decided to use the time wisely and prepare myself.

For me, it was more mental preperation. I spent those weeks visualising every aspect of this diet, and how I would act on it and deal with ALL situations - work, social, homelife, and holidays as I had a month long family reunion/holiday coming up in the middle of the diet, which I abstained throughout! I visulaised myself a success....and at goal. Everyday I told myself it was acheivable and would view all those images I had made. I came to grips what life would be like without food. WHen I saw my reflection in the mirror, I told myself we were going to be sorted! lol

This may all sound corny, but hand on heart, for me, I know it is why I have been successful.

It was a long time to wait to start- but I actually lost 5 pounds in those weeks waiting to begin! I started to transition just be focusing on all the positive things to come, and that the real fact was that several months time is a very small amount of time to sacrifice food, to acheive something as wonderul and marvelous as being slim.

By the time I started LL, I knew I was in it to win it, and it has kept me in good stead, without any falters.

SO that is what my advice would be, on top of the excellant advise already posted.

Good luck! Its a wild ride - enjoy every moment of it. Even the tough times, though they are few. :)

X

Ello :)

//waves

I went to my info sesion last night and can't start until the 27th. I plan on living it up for my b'day next week, a wedding the week after and cuting out the carbs on week 3. Man alive I can't wait.

Have about 6 1/2 stone to lose. With a bit of luck I'll be around that time zone at crimbo. :)

Hi Guy! Thanks for your message - have tried adding you to my contacts on here, to message you, but not having any luck! Would be good to stay in touch as we will be starting within a few days of each other and might be useful to have someone to offload to during the good (and tough) times. Fancy that?

Thank you!!!

Hi everyone, thank you so so much for all your replies - was expecting maybe one, or perhaps two - so it's good to know that people are actually active on this site (unlike so many others).

Will take the advice and cut down on carbs - although I am not a big carbie anyway luckily... did Atkins years ago and haven't really gone back to bread, potatoes etc since - it's mainly the sugars side that I am a bit prone to!! Will try and get that under control in prep for an easier ride!!

Will keep you all posted on my journey - and look forward to hearing from all of you too! :eek:)

Anna x

Hi Guy! Thanks for your message - have tried adding you to my contacts on here, to message you, but not having any luck! Would be good to stay in touch as we will be starting within a few days of each other and might be useful to have someone to offload to during the good (and tough) times. Fancy that?

Now worries. Feel free to add me when you can. I believe you have to have 50+ posts before you can add friends, send private messages etc. I'm quite happy to be a "study buddy". :)

We better get posting or our cunning plan is foiled lol!

Hi Anna :)

Welcome and good luck!

I had about a 6 or 7 week wait to start as it was near the holidays I discovered LL - so had to wait till after New Years. At first I panicked and thought I woudl lose momentum, but like you I decided to use the time wisely and prepare myself.

For me, it was more mental preperation. I spent those weeks visualising every aspect of this diet, and how I would act on it and deal with ALL situations - work, social, homelife, and holidays as I had a month long family reunion/holiday coming up in the middle of the diet, which I abstained throughout! I visulaised myself a success....and at goal. Everyday I told myself it was acheivable and would view all those images I had made. I came to grips what life would be like without food. WHen I saw my reflection in the mirror, I told myself we were going to be sorted! lol

This may all sound corny, but hand on heart, for me, I know it is why I have been successful.

It was a long time to wait to start- but I actually lost 5 pounds in those weeks waiting to begin! I started to transition just be focusing on all the positive things to come, and that the real fact was that several months time is a very small amount of time to sacrifice food, to acheive something as wonderul and marvelous as being slim.

By the time I started LL, I knew I was in it to win it, and it has kept me in good stead, without any falters.

SO that is what my advice would be, on top of the excellant advise already posted.

Good luck! Its a wild ride - enjoy every moment of it. Even the tough times, though they are few. :)

X

Thank you BL! Just seen your first diary entry from before you started and I'm encouraged to see how well you have done. I, like you, have quite a lot of emotional baggage to deal with - in fact, my dad died out of the blue on Boxing Day last year, so I too am not a fan of Christmas. He was always hoping I would be thinner, fitter and healthier, so a big part of me is aiming at December to get near my goal; to be more what he expected of me on the anniversary. This all came after losing my step-dad to Motor Neurone Disease three years ago, losing a baby and living with Panic Disorder for around five years... honestly, it's been pretty rubbish, lol, but reading your story really inspired me. I sometimes feel like no matter what I do, i will never be able to escape myself - the overweight, unhappy person I've been since I was about 16, using humour and a big grin to hide the fact I was permanently disappointed in myself and my life - but Lighter Life seems to finally be the key. Something I can do, that will work and allow me to really be 'me'.

Oops - sorry - didn't mean to get quite so deep!

Thank you again - and well done with your amazing weightloss so far!

Anna x

(PS. You're right - I stood on the scales this morning, and I have lost 2lbs in last week since I made the decision to do this. Woohooo!)

Back