Should I restart?

wannabslim

Gold Member
Hey all,

I have been trying really hard to lose weight through a healthy lifestyle and have managed to shift 5/6 lbs since beginning of January (before a weekend of naughtniess led to a 2 lb gain so i'm now only 3/4 lbs down). Anyway, I went to the GPs today to update my medication and they said that according to their scales I am actually 14.2 not 13.10 as my scales said at home.

The point is, that I KNOW what I weighed first thing this morning, but the fact that I had drunk water and was wearing clothes, plus the possibility of a difference in scales meant that the nurse thought I weighed 14.2. This has made me feel really down and even if I am actually 13.10 first thing in the morning, the fact that I can show up as that heavy on someone elses scales saddens me, especially since that is the same weight I was when I started being good... needless to say I did not expect it and was really upset and down all day because of it.

I have a few weeks supply of CD in my cupboard and right now I am so up for doing it! I just have a few things such as my grans 80th birthday meal and valentines day standing in my way. Nights out I can handle as I hardly go out at the mo and since doing CD the first time I have developed a liking for Voddie and D.Coke, so thats not a problem. The only thing is that I would only be doing it for a couple of weeks and then working up the plans concentrating on carb-free food from then on, as I can't really afford the time/money that CD requires, and I know in the long-term it doesnt work for me. I just think that if I can maybe shift a stone to get me started it would really boost my morale, and as long as I go back to my good habits after then it may well be a lot easier.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/comments thatn anyone has about this??? Thanks for your support

xxx

i think its a great idea to do a couple of weeks to kick start you loss - is much easier to go to a healthy low carb eating plan from nothing than from eating!

Right, then I am going to do it starting today until the 7th/8th feb when I will go low-carb. I have a few bits that need using up but its mainly chicken and veg and I'm gonna do SS with a low carb meal in the pm so I can use them up as my dinners. I have a few other things but I can freeze them so not too much of a problem!

Wish me luck xxx

Hi Wannabslim

I think it sounds like a great plan, but the only question I would ask is why you feel CD doesn't work for you in the long run as if this is the case it may not be an ideal solution to do it again, if you know what I mean.

Georgie
xx

Hiya Wannabslim,
Firstly, well done for getting as far as you have so far. It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind and really want to continue with the healthy eating and your 5/6lb loss is great considering we're STILL in january and you've only just started!
Secondly, I regularly weigh in differently on my scales compared to my CDCs scales - I'm always heavier on hers but then, same as you, I'm wearing clothes, have already had loads of fluid and my shakes before I get to her. My scales have shown up to a 5lb difference over the course of a day before - lowest in the morning, then mid afternoon up by 3-5 lbs then, last thing at night back down a bit but never as light as I am first thing in the morning. I am trying to weigh myself first thing in the morning with very little on (TMI!), at the same time of day - after my first pee and I think that is the only accurate way you can do it. I've heard it's not too healthy to jump on the scales all the time but it is REALLY difficult not to - as the days have gone by I am doing it less and just take my Friday morning WI as the one that I will count for that week's lbs down!
I don't know why CD won't work for you in the long term - have you tried this before? For many people it is a great way to get to target but then they often seem not to follow the maintenance plan and so the cycle of overeating continues and the weight goes back on with a vengeance. I can't talk from personal experience here because I'm quite a newbie. I am intending to do SS with perhaps the AAM weeks until I'm at target then go up through the maintenance plans. It is a major commitment, especially when you don't have much money but I AM looking long term as I want to feel better about myself.
Back to your situation - Why not make an appt to see a CDC to talk things over? In the meantime, I agree that it's a good idea for you to start as you have the packs - it will kickstart the diet and hopefully give you the motivation and encouragement to continue as the lbs roll off!
Good luck to you - I'm sure you will be successful
Take care
Tansyx:)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I know CD doesnt work for me long-term because of my sociable lifestyle and I find it incredibly difficult to stop eating completely in the longterm. I have done CD before last year and stuck to it for 10 weeks before falling by the wayside and then only doing it off and on. At my lightest I had lost 3 and a half stone but I only managed to keep 1 of them off!

I am doing this to kick-start my weightloss and make me feel better about myself, I know there is no point planning to do this for a long period of time as I will only disappoint myself!! Plus I have also found in the past that whilst on CD my brainpower has suffered in terms of when I am at uni I can't concentrate, my work suffers, and I feel tired all the time. I know for some people ketosis makes them feel energised but it doesnt for me!

So anyway, this is what I am going to do... do CD on 790/SS where possible until I have to go for my grans birthday and valentines day, and then if I think I can handle it I may well get back to it afterwards. But to be honest I am happy losing weight by living a healthy lifestyle like I have been doing, I would just like to see a slightly quicker loss for a few weeks to boost my motivation.

May sound odd to long term SS-ers (it would to me this time last year when I thought SS was THE only way to lose weight) but for me CD is not the answer, merely an aid to help me on my way!

xxx

Each and every single time i get weighed i feel disheartened, even when i have lost weight.
My in-laws are coming on Feb 9th and i want to SS until then..WITH NO SCALES INVOLVED.
Let's have a go and see how we do by checking the looseness of our clothes and not wha the scales say, hey?

hey annie,

having thought about the responses I received on here earlier and whether or not SS is right for me, I think maybe they have a point. If i dont plan to do it 100% or longterm it won't work and I will just put the weight back on. Ok so the way im doing it is only slow, but I can't let one GP weigh-in stop me in my tracks. I got on the scales this morning and I am 13.10 so I am just gonna go by my scales. When I went to the GP yesterday also she weighed me in kilos and converted it, and when i used the NHS converter on here, the conversion from kilos to lbs made me 14.2, which strangely is heavier than if it was simply in lbs. So because her scales were in kg I reckon that may be why. Also yes I had drunk and eaten AND was wearing clothes, and I do normally weight first thing post-wee (TMI) so that must be why.

I am not going to let this stop me living my life and will rise above it! I did Vicky Binns' exercise DVD this afternoon which gave me a thorough workout and am off in a mo to the pub with my bf for a much needed night out together (yes I will be on voddie and diet coke!). Thanks all for your input and for helping me come to this decision.

Annie, stick with it hun, stay off the scales apart from your weekly weigh-in- if you are SSing 100% then you know as well as I do you will see a good loss when you do weigh yourself! I have faith in you!

Wbs xxx

Heya wbs,
I can really connect with you and understand where you are coming from. Good luck with your plan. Having a plan is half the battle soooooooooooo battle half won!!

If it's any consolation hun, I started my VLCD nearly 2 weeks ago and I am already 10lbs down...i too started at 13st10!!!

Now in that time I had 2 crap nights (Days 1 & 2) and this weekend I ahd a couple of portions of prawns & spinach.

I'm up 1lb today (due to the P&S) but I am NOT disheartened!! I know I ate 2 meals (healthy though they were) but it was my choice as as such I am NOT guilty.

So why not try it, and if you do have a little slip, see it as a choice...not another diet out the window. Plus I am finding that I am looking to healthy foods now and not just what is the nearest to me, so already my mind is changing!!!

Give it a go...what have you got to lose but weight!!!:D

Back