Side effect?

Discussion in 'Dukan Diet' started by wkdstepmum, 19 October 2011 Social URL.

1. wkdstepmum

wkdstepmum Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(4.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Hi girls,
    Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced brittle nails on this diet? My nails all seem to be breaking and they're pretty awful at the moment to be honest... Is this something that is a recognised side effect, is there anything I can do about it??? Any help appreciated x :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sander23

Sander23 Chronic Recidivist

Start Weight:
    262lb
    Current Weight:
    225lb
    Goal Weight:
    162lb
    Lost(%):
    37lb(14.12%)
    Diet:
    Dukan Diet
    Same here - I take a multi-vitamin daily and extra vitamin C - but my nails (and hair) are not like they used to be.

4. Atropos

Atropos Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.41%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Hmmm - it's unlikely to be the diet alone, as a diet rich in protein and calcium with plenty of water is one of the standard treatments for brittle nails.

As long as you are eating salmon and eggs you will be getting Omega 3 and 6, so it can't be that...

It's possibly low fat levels in general?

5. CC

CC Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9.7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6.3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st10.5lb(14.06%)
    Diet:
    Dukan Diet
    Me too! Thought it was post Breastfeeding hormones....

6. Atropos

Atropos Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.41%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Low oestrogen is (apparently) the number two cause of brittle nails in women....

7. slimdreamer

slimdreamer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    IE
    I haven't noticed a problem with my nails but the skin on my face has been the worst I have ever seen it. It is very dry and flat as well as crinkly. I have never had wrinkles until now.

I have started using a collagen serum that has helped the dryness a little and also now take Omega 3 tablets that hasn't helped at all so far.

I have been on the diet since first of April so perhaps too long on a very low fat diet. It has certainly aged me and I must admit it is worrying. I have been hoping that once I start introducing fats in my diet I will get my face back?:confused::(

8. skinnyminnycow

skinnyminnycow Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st12lb(11.26%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Haven't noticed any side effects like that yet. However I am only starting week 4.

9. CHRISR

CHRISR Gold Member

Diet:
    Dukan
    13 weeks doing dukan and my nails are stronger (weak flaky nails pre dukan) and my hair is ok as ever. I seem to be tired more if I wake (dont know what wakes me up ) I automatically get up and go for a whistle then I cant get to sleep again :(

10. Maintainer

Maintainer ** Chief WITCH **

Start Weight:
    141kg
    Current Weight:
    69.3kg
    Goal Weight:
    65.0kg
    Lost(%):
    71.7kg(50.85%)
    Diet:
    Self devised
    My nails and hair are fine, although I have heard people talk about hair loss.

I wonder if the appearance of wrinkles might be (sorry to say this) weight loss related. The skin on my face certainly "moves" a lot more than it did when plump and full of fat! It has been said to me that, at a certain age (and it's not that old!), we have to choose between our face and our tum and stop losing weight... and I'm speaking from personal experience here, cos I've no idea how old slimdreamer is!

11. elida

elida Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st0lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(17.58%)
    Diet:
    dukan
    My nails were very weak before I started the diet, I was just thinking they are getting stronger!
    But I had a terrible diet before DD, I've never in my life eaten this healthy. I don't use supplements, they make me hungry all the time, no matter how much I eat.. :eek:

12. slimdreamer

slimdreamer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    IE
    Maintainer, I am 52! So my skin is definitely not snapping back. :(

I too have heard that when a woman reaches a certain age she must choose between her face and body, arghh!

However, I don't believe in my case it is down to just losing weight in my face because my face never was very big (unlike my backside!) so haven't lost a lot of weight in it. The skin just feels and looks thinner, drier and crinklier.

In any case, even if it would look better if I put more weight on, would hate to plump up and be a frump for the sake of plumping my face up. I am so hoping that once I start introducing fats in my diet it will help my skin. :sigh:

13. Atropos

Atropos Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.41%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    This is why I deliberately chose a slightly higher BMI to stop/slow down at than my "true weight" - (what can I say - I'm vain!)

My mum was a serial dieter and a dedicated "tanorexic"; she has a great figure for a 73 year old, but a face like a crocodile handbag!
    Her own mother was slightly plump but stayed out of the sun all her life (despite living 30 years in India) - and had skin like a baby's bottom to the day she died.

I'm trying to steer a course between the two!

(oooo - and my gran had gorgeous shiny nails - she buffed them every week, into her 80s! Wonder what made them so strong?)

14. slimdreamer

slimdreamer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Diet:
    IE
    I am a blond and quite fair and have always tried to stay out of the sun. Because of this I have always had good skin, no wrinkles (at my ancient age!) have always taken care of my skin. This is the reason I am so upset about it. I really don't think it is down to just losing weight but a lack of something.

But I do find it strange that I seem to be the only one mentioning this problem here.:confused:

15. Atropos

Atropos Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.41%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    This is the first diet I've followed which has marginally improved my skin tone - I have much less cellulite than I had before, the cottage cheese look is (hopefully!) a thing of the past...

16. Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50!

Don'tWantToBeFatAnd50! Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st5lb
    Current Weight:
    8st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(12.21%)
    Diet:
    Dukon Stabilization
    Atropos!

I just nearly spat coffee all over my netbook when I read that.

:8855:

My MIL lived in Cyprus when first married (forces) and they used to use vegetable oil or baby oil on their skin to get a tan. :rolleyes:

Is it any wonder she has a 'lived in' face now!

:D

17. wkdstepmum

wkdstepmum Silver Member

Start Weight:
    10st5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(4.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Sorry for coming back to see replies until now, SD has a bad flu so it's been hectic around here! Yeah my skin isn't bad but at my age I wouldn't expect to have wrinkles, also stay out of the sun and have been moisturising like a mad thing since early teens but my nails are just horrendous... I haven't changed anything except my diet, so it must be Dukan related and I do take a lot of salmon, cod liver oil etc. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing because I have nails like a five year old who's been climbing trees!!!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Atropos

Atropos Gold Member

Start Weight:
    11st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.41%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    My mum had her own special mixture - olive oil and lemon juice, exactly what I would rub onto a chicken if I wanted crispy brown skin!

To her credit she never put on the kids, so we were smeared in "coppertone" instead, which I'm guessing would be about spf 10? 15?

But she did get irritated that I retreated indoors at midday to read - "why have we spent all this money on a holiday in the sun if you are just going to lurk inside!?" - and this when the sand on the beach was too hot to walk on barefoot!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.