Silly question

Ktp

Ok so am planning to roast a chicken tonight but I was wondering if I needed to remove the skin before or after cooking :)

I always cook with skin on (it stops the chicken from getting to dry) then remove as soon as cooked. Enjoy x

I do the same. I think it's supposed to be removed before cooking to keep it syn free but my bf loves crispy chicken skin so I leave it on for him and as the prev poster said it keeps it from drying out.

Roasting a chicken without the skin is not drying if you cook it properly.

I spatchcock my chicken and pull the skin off from the back forward, removing the wings too.

Season with whatever you want, I use curry powder, tandoori spice, lemon juice and oregano, garlic, and various other free things.

Cover with tin foil, this is the important part. Also, reduce the temperature you roast it by 20 degrees or 1 gas mark. (I roast at 160 degrees) and add ten mins to the cooking time, taking the tin foil off for the last ten mins.

You get delicious moist chicken as it steams as it roasts.

Vixxster said:
Roasting a chicken without the skin is not drying if you cook it properly.

I spatchcock my chicken and pull the skin off from the back forward, removing the wings too.

Season with whatever you want, I use curry powder, tandoori spice, lemon juice and oregano, garlic, and various other free things.

Cover with tin foil, this is the important part. Also, reduce the temperature you roast it by 20 degrees or 1 gas mark. (I roast at 160 degrees) and add ten mins to the cooking time, taking the tin foil off for the last ten mins.

You get delicious moist chicken as it steams as it roasts.

As I feel asleep on the sofa tonight i am so cooking this tomorrow ! I shall give it a go

It was delicious and really moist. Have a big plate of chicken potatoes carrots parsnips left over for after WI tomorrow night

Nope it's still free if you take the skin off after cooking.

I cook mine in the slow cooker, skin on, and remove after cooking. It's slimey and yukky and not nearly as tempting as crispy oven cooked chicken skin!!

Thanks Jaylou! Had a mini panic attack there - ate so much chicken yesterday and counted it as free! Skin off obviously but it was cooked skin on. So glad it's free yay!! :D

I think there is some meat you should cut the fat off of before you cook it, like bacon, because cooked with fat on is syns if I remember correctly??? That's why I was a bit worried about the chicken. I don't have my books anymore so can't check these things :( I might be completely wrong tho!

Back