simple recipes

My favourite at the moment and very easy is caramelised gammon. All you needs is a gammon joint, red onions, can of diet coke and balsamic vinegar.

Chop 2 or 3 red onions into wedges and put in the bottom of a casserole dish. Place gammon joint onto onions, pour over diet coke and 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Put in over on gas mark 5 for about an hour.

Its really delicious. I have it with loads of roasted veg and SW wedges or mash.

sounds really nice, im not sure either if balsamic is free :S hopefully is

All day breakfast muffins:- This is so easy to do. I made some for the first time today, they were lovely. I made mine with chopped tinned ham, sliced tinned mushrooms, onions and a chopped tomato as I didnt have any bacon/sausages and they were very tasty. Had to cook them for longer than the recipe states though. You could have them with sw chips, beans etc, or maybe a big plate of salad :)

All Day Breakfast Muffins- syn free on Extra easy

This mixture makes 8 large muffins or can be made in a flan dish.

6 eggs
4 quorn sausages
6 rashers lean bacon
1 small onion
2 tomatoes
6 mushrooms
Small tub cottage cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop up bacon, sausage toms, onions mushrooms and fry for gently for a few mins in fry light. Mean while beat the eggs add cottage cheese & seasoning. Add all ingredients together and mix well. Pour ingredients into muffin tray ( I use silicone trays) and cook in medium oven for approx 15 mins.

They can be frozen too so you could make up a batch and just take out what you need for your breakfast fix.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been doing weight Watchers for what seems like the last 10yrs of my life, I decided to join slimming world. Knowing nothing about it and never doing it before I'm after any recipes or tips to help me on my way. It's my first weigh in tomorrow so any tips will be appreciated. X x

Have you joined a group and been given all the info books in a green plastic cover?

Wow! I wud luuurrve to lose 3lbs tonight...! ;)

I think thats a really good weight loss shoppingsarah! My first and second W I I lost 2 and half pounds both times and was delighted with that! Just think if you lost that every week how much you will have lost in a month. Fantastic, dont know it, yr doing great!!!:D:D

thank you for all your support and nice comments.
I was disappointed in myself because some things i had incorrect sin values and thought things where less then they where and would have had a bigger loss otherwise..... If that makes sense?? Xx

Doesnt always follow. Some weeks you go 100% on plan, have your syns very carefully and count them carefully and you dont have much of a weight loss. Another week you may go a bit off plan and find you have lost quite a bit. Your body holds fluid at certain times of the month as well, even us ladies who dont have star weeks anymore! You have done so well, keep going you will get there, youre doing fantastic but try not to go over your syns. There is a lot of stuff you can have up to 15 though, the thing is to enjoy your journey.

The chip, pepper and egg bake is quick and easy.
serves 2:
4 or 5 potatoes
half red pepper/half yellow
3 eggs
mushrooms
tomatoes

peel potatoes and slice into chips. slice peppers.half mushrooms and chop tomatoes into chunks. preheat oven to 200 degrees. spray an ovenproof dish with frylight, bake potatoes for 10-15 mins
add peppers,mushrooms and tomatoes.add salt and pepper.bake for 10 mins.
remove from oven and make wells in the bake and crack the eggs in and bake for around 5 minutes.
I usually serve with a big green salad :)

That sounds like it would be proper comfort food!!! Think ill make it this week! Thanks

How about a soup?

Pete’s Butternut Squash Curry Soup

Serves 4

Ingredients

425g/half a Butternut Squash, cut into 30mm cubes (leave the skin on) remove seeds.
750g chicken stock
1 tbsp. madras curry powder
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light, cook the onion until soft, add curry powder, add the cut butternut squash, along with the carrot & celery bring to the boil and then simmer for 30-40 mins until everything is soft. Season with salt & pepper.
Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender.

When buying butternut squash check that it sounds hollow when tapped, is a good orange colour with no bruises or green tinge.

They store well in a cool room wrapped in a dark paper bag, NOT in a plastic bag as it will rot!

With the leftover butternut squash use some as a Sunday roasted veg or in this curry....
Pete’s Butternut Squash Chicken Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

425g/½ butternut squash
1 onion, chopped
1tsp “easy lazy” garlic
1tsp “easy Lazy” ginger
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1tsp coriander
1tsp garam masala
1tsp madras curry powder
600g chicken, pre-cooked, chopped into cubes
750mL chicken stock
400g Chopped Tomatoes

Method

(This can be made in advance.)
Chop up the butternut squash into small cubes; leave the skin on, extra fibre!

Spray a large saucepan with Fry Light and add chopped onion, ginger & garlic, cook for 7 mins, with a lid on the pan.

Add butternut squash, madras curry powder and chicken stock, cook for 40 mins, remove from the heat and liquidize with a hand blender.

Continue.

Place back on heat and add cumin, turmeric and coriander, cook for 1 min, add tomato and chicken cook until chicken has been cooked through. Add garam masala 5 min before serving.
Serve on a bed of rice with a side salad.

Attachments

• Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry Soup (Large).JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry (Large).JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    Butternut Squash Curry-2 (Large).JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 118
here is the bacon cooked in coke recipe.............

Pete’s Diet Coke Boiling Bacon

Piece of boiling bacon
2 Ltr bottle of Diet Coke
Old saucepan

Cooking with Diet Coke may sound weird but believe me it works.

The Coke appears to draw out all the salt and other ingredients used in preparing the bacon and giving it a dark rich colour and flavour.

Don’t worry about the colour of the cooked Coke, it will look horrible but you will be throwing it away.
Your saucepan will look terrible but it will wash up ok, just don’t use your best pan.

Weight the bacon joint to work out the cooking time.
20 mins per 1lb + 20 mins
Use an old pan if possible as it gets messy
Put joint into pan and cover in Diet Coke

Bring to the boil; keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil over, very messy!
Turn down heat and allow to simmer.
Keep the joint covered with coke.

The joint is cooked when you can push a skewer through the thickest part of the joint.
Remove and THROW AWAY the Coke, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THE COKE!

Add to drain and cool on a sloping drip tray.

Enjoy!

You will never cook a bacon joint any other way after tasting this……..

10 min quickie.........

Pete’s 10Min Quickie
Spaghetti carbonara

Serves 2
Free on Extra Easy

Ingredients

175g dried spaghetti

* use either

2 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
Or
Sainsbury’s wafer thin honey roast ham, chopped into small pieces

2 eggs
1 150g Tube of Primula cheese light
Handful of fresh chives

Method

Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions 8 mins =”Al Dente”

*Use either

Cook the Bacon in a dry frying pan until done then remove and put to one side.
Or cut the ham into small pieces and put to one side.

Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them together along with seasoning, chopped chives and the complete tub of Primula cheese light.

Remove and drain the spaghetti then return to the saucepan, add the contents from the bowl and stir gently over a low heat until the eggs have set.

Attachments

• Diet Coke Bacon-1.JPG
    Diet Coke Bacon-1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Diet Coke Bacon-2.JPG
    Diet Coke Bacon-2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 341
  • Diet Bacon-3.JPG
    Diet Bacon-3.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Finished bacon (Large).JPG
    Finished bacon (Large).JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Spaghetti Carbonara (2) (Large).JPG
    Spaghetti Carbonara (2) (Large).JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 185
bilsat said:
here is the bacon cooked in coke recipe.............

Pete’s Diet Coke Boiling Bacon

Piece of boiling bacon
2 Ltr bottle of Diet Coke
Old saucepan

Cooking with Diet Coke may sound weird but believe me it works.

The Coke appears to draw out all the salt and other ingredients used in preparing the bacon and giving it a dark rich colour and flavour.

Don’t worry about the colour of the cooked Coke, it will look horrible but you will be throwing it away.
Your saucepan will look terrible but it will wash up ok, just don’t use your best pan.

Weight the bacon joint to work out the cooking time.
20 mins per 1lb + 20 mins
Use an old pan if possible as it gets messy
Put joint into pan and cover in Diet Coke

Bring to the boil; keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t boil over, very messy!
Turn down heat and allow to simmer.
Keep the joint covered with coke.

The joint is cooked when you can push a skewer through the thickest part of the joint.
Remove and THROW AWAY the Coke, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRINK THE COKE!

Add to drain and cool on a sloping drip tray.

Enjoy!

You will never cook a bacon joint any other way after tasting this……..

10 min quickie.........

Pete’s 10Min Quickie
Spaghetti carbonara

Serves 2
Free on Extra Easy

Ingredients

175g dried spaghetti

* use either

2 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
Or
Sainsbury’s wafer thin honey roast ham, chopped into small pieces

2 eggs
1 150g Tube of Primula cheese light
Handful of fresh chives

Method

Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions 8 mins =”Al Dente”

*Use either

Cook the Bacon in a dry frying pan until done then remove and put to one side.
Or cut the ham into small pieces and put to one side.

Break 2 eggs into a bowl and beat them together along with seasoning, chopped chives and the complete tub of Primula cheese light.

Remove and drain the spaghetti then return to the saucepan, add the contents from the bowl and stir gently over a low heat until the eggs have set.

Is a tub of primula light cheese free or would it be he a?

Back