Sizing Question,..

batlo8

Hello folks,

I am feeling a little puzzled about dress sizes!

I not from a lot of peoples signatures that generally people are in an 18 at the 15 stone somethings and a 16 at the 14 stone somethings.

This does not seem to be the case for me! At 14st 10lbs I can get into the odd 16 but trousers are still most definitely an 18 and it then seems to take me ages to ever get any smaller than a 16. Even at 11st 5lbs I am still a 14 and most people seem to be a 12 at that weight.

I know obviously this cant be compared like for like but I just wondered if anyone else has trouble with sizes?

I'm 5ft 7 by the way so not particularly small... xx

Impossible to answer this one.....personally at 12st 10lbs I'm now a large 14 ie some of my old 14's fit! But my wardrobe, spanning many, many years has everything in it from size 8 to size 18! Even at a stable weight of 10st I still wear 3 different sizes! I do think, though, that the more expensive the make of clothing the smaller size that you can wear, I can easily fit into a size 12 in Jaeger but wouldn't even venture into somewhere like Top Shop......M&S are big too.......

im 13stone 3lbs and im an 18. they are a tab big, but im still miles off a 16. its a bit depressing alright but i try not to think of it. im not buying any clothes untill i reach goal anyway cos i wont be staying at any of the sizes inbetween for long enough. and when im finished i dont want to own any clothes that i might 'grow' back into.

I don't doubt the differences in clothing sizes from store to store, but I totally get what batlo is saying in her OP. I'm 5'10" and just under 12st now, and yet still a full size 16. But I see loads of people here who are shorter than me, going down sizes much more rapidly, which seems counter-intuitive. What is the rest of their body made of? It's not tallness - what else is there? Depth or something? Weird. :confused:

I seriously think I'm big-boned, and not in a comedy ''I'm not fat...' kind of way! Perfectly proportioned though of course. ;)

I totally agree. I am 12st 7lbs now, and am fine in size 14 dresses / tops and CAN do size 14 trousers up (but huge muffin tops going on!) but I can't see me being in size 12 before dropping to 11st.

Just read it, that is shocking! I don't understand how they get away with it! Xx

When i lost weight before i was 11.7 stone and was in 12/14 bottoms and 10/12 tops and im 5 ft 7.

I don't doubt the differences in clothing sizes from store to store, but I totally get what batlo is saying in her OP. I'm 5'10" and just under 12st now, and yet still a full size 16. But I see loads of people here who are shorter than me, going down sizes much more rapidly, which seems counter-intuitive. What is the rest of their body made of? It's not tallness - what else is there? Depth or something? Weird. :confused:

I seriously think I'm big-boned, and not in a comedy ''I'm not fat...' kind of way! Perfectly proportioned though of course. ;)

you just explained what I wanted to say perfectly :) it does seem so weird! Like my best friend at the same weight I am now was in 16's and I'm still struggling to do 18's up! It's so weird! Maybe it is bone structure? Xx

I am 17 stone plus but still in a size 20!!!
Im 5ft 6 in and must just carry the weight in places that dont affect clothes fitting!

I mostly wear next clothes, love them. Very surprised to hear that they are the smallest fitting in size! Think I might go try on some New Look to make me feel better ;) lol
As to height and size its all very strange!! Try looking up frame size on google. I believe if you measure your wrist you can work out your frame size ie small, medium or large.
Emma x

I just done it Emma, and it said "you are not human, you are a hippo" pmsl x x x

Not really!! Thanks for that Emma, i never knew that was possible..

For anyone who wants to check:

Check Your Frame Size

Ha i always thought i was big built but it says im small. So ive now lost my excuse for the weight lol

Excellent! It says my wrist can buy clothes in Next. :D :D :D

Seriously, that's even weirder, because it's telling me I'm small framed. Now, I have lost weight, and my BMI (FWIW) is now normal, but I could NEVER, EVER be classed as small in any way. I'm a beeeeeeeeg girl. ;) Big hips, broad shoulders, you name it, it's big.

Oh yes, and the clothes sizes thing - I actually think the more you pay for clothes the smaller they get. Karen Millen actually uses oompah-loopahs for models, or else she makes normal size dresses and then boil washes AND tumble dries them on the hot setting, or something. They're teeny! :eek:

I just done it Emma, and it said "you are not human, you are a hippo" pmsl x x x

Not really!! Thanks for that Emma, i never knew that was possible..

For anyone who wants to check:

Check Your Frame Size

Aaarrrrrggghhh! Lol That's not good! Not sure its true though, cos it says i'm a small, but I think I have a large frame, so my bf tells me - nice!
Anyways men prefer curvy girls ;)
Emma x

I keep telling Joe that, and he says "go and find one then!!" lol

He doesn't really.. I would kill him!! lol x x x

I lost over 30lb and only dropped a dress size, I'm now a 14 (no size 10 bikini for me). I'm a healthy weight and people say I look slim now so why is a 14 considered large? Pretty annoying.

my aunty is the same shes 11 stone and a size 14 and 5 ft 10 but theres no fat on her shes so slim but just big boned.i think it depends on your height and build as some people do look overweight at a size 14 as my other aunty at her biggest is a 14 but shes alot shorter.

i'll add my 2 penneth! when younger when i was 11.7 stone i could just get into a size 12 jeans, I am 5.9", big frame. Fast forward 15 years & i still have the jeans for posterity. When i last lost weight 2 years ago I could get them on and just about do them up at 13 & a half stone. So in the intervening years I seem to be able to get into smaller sizes, even though I am considerably heavier. I seem to have got more dense! i would like to be 11 stone again, but I may find i look too thin. We will have to see.

Back