Skin-On Tinned New Potatoes

BigAliOBie

Hi All,
I have ben doing SW for years (and years and years!), and am desperate to find some tinned new potatoes that still have their skins on. Does such a thing even exist?

I googled canning your own potatoes (which is quite an American thing and not really something we do in the UK) and it says they must be peeled because if you don't bacteria stays in the skins. I think this is why you cannot find tinned potatoes with skins on.

Is there a reason you need them? You could boil some yourself and put them once cooled in a Tupperware in the fridge. I am sure they would keep quite a few days??

I googled canning your own potatoes (which is quite an American thing and not really something we do in the UK) and it says they must be peeled because if you don't bacteria stays in the skins. I think this is why you cannot find tinned potatoes with skins on.

Is there a reason you need them? You could boil some yourself and put them once cooled in a Tupperware in the fridge. I am sure they would keep quite a few days??
If I put normal new potatoes in a stew in my slow cooker they don't cook fully in the designated time. I could pre-cook them but that would sort of defeat the point and simplicity of throwing everything in and switching it on. They definitely used to exist several years ago so I will continue my mission. Lots of the tins have pretty pictures of skin-on potatoes on the label but lo and behold when you get inside they are naked!

I do stew in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes and bosh, the whole lot is cooked to perfection. That's the problem with slow cookers, ideal to leave on all day, but I found some veg doesn't cook unless you cut it up really small. :)

Have you tried Aldi's Bon Appetit? The baby jacket potatoes are pre-cooked and skin-on, come in some kind of herb butter/oil and are 3 syns a box. You could rinse them under hot water to get rid of most of the butter/oil as well.
Hope this helps!

Have you tried Aldi's Bon Appetit? The baby jacket potatoes are pre-cooked and skin-on, come in some kind of herb butter/oil and are 3 syns a box. You could rinse them under hot water to get rid of most of the butter/oil as well.
Hope this helps!
Thank you for your excellent suggestion, I will keep an eye out for them. Are they in the chilled section?

Back