Slaying some Myths....

Thanks for sharing those Justin - everything you say is 100% backed by my personal trainer and I am getting super results!

Well, I must admit this has been an eye-opener for me.

In my own experience I've never come across anyone who's got results from a VLCD, but I can't dispute the proof from members here.

Here's a question from those who've gotten great results from thier LCDs: How was your exercise regime at the time? Did you find you could manage high-intensity workouts or did you lower intensities to match your diets?

Im asking because perhaps the reason that the failures that I and other trainers have come across were perforimh exercise at too- high an intensity whilst on the diet, which of course would be very counter-productive.

However, I am willing to go back on my stance and say that if exercise intensity is controlled (i.e - kept low to moderate), that it would not affect the progress of a dieter.

Maybe the bottom line to all this is that a VLCD is okay when NOT exercising at high intensities, but counter productive if you are trying to develop (or maintain) lean tissue? I'd be happy to accept that I think. Any thoughts?

PS - I have taken on all points, it is not my aim to sound preachy and I apologize if I ever seem so. I just have quite a passion for what I do in helping people and I can't deny it comes across in my writing at times!

I'm beginning to like you now.. ;)

People on a VLCD are told not to do more than 30 mins of low impact cardio workout per day, and are encouraged (generally speaking here) to do weights which helps with the muscle toning and also prevents muscle loss. It's also worth noting here that the VLCDs you see on here are also very high in protein to help deal with preventing muscle loss. Of course, there will be some loss but that's more as people get towards a normal (or below) BMI or if people try to design their own VLCDs.

The Cambridge Diet doesn't actually let people stay on a VLCD once their BMI hits 25, Lighter Life lets people go down to 22 and I don't agree with that. And I'm sure you and i would also agree with thoughts on the usefulness of BMI reading but let's assume we agree on that one for now ;)

There are a few people that still go for the high intensity stuff, often because they were doing it before. However I've lost count of the number of people whose weight losses actually slowed because they were doing high intensity stuff. No surprise there really.

There's also countless examples in the examples of people who have lapsed off their diet after exercising at too high an intensity. Again, makes sense. Body is searching for glycogen and sending out feed me damn it messages.

I'm doing a bit of an experiment at the moment (though I'm only on a LCD) and getting back into heart rate training (running or cycling). I'm making sure I stay in the 'fat burning zone' (yes I know it's a cliche term but there's some truth to it) ie low heart rate and my losses have still been good. I think that says quite a lot :)

I have read from studies that VCLDs are most beneficial for very overweight / obese people, and to be honest that didn't suprise me.

My thinking has been more directed toward the most general form of client I come across - usually a person between 30-50 years old, who want to lose about 10-15% bodyfat at most. With these clients, it is imperative (for so many reasons that I won't bother going into) that I keep thier metabolism elevated.

How is fat intake distributed during a VLCD?

Like I said, I am always happy to go back on stance, IF I gather enough evidence that it can work for certain populations, without any long term drawbacks. Although, obviosuly Im still not going to start recommending VLCDs to my clients, because what I do with them is working fine. If they hit a plateau due to their diet, they are encouraged to drop sugar intake, whihc usually gets the lbs coming off again immediately. But, I do like to remain as open minded as possible...

VLCDs aren't recommended for everyone, and generally people don't start them unless their BMI is 30 or higher. Not surprisingly it sounds like a lot of your clients would need to lose less than that and there'd be no reason for them to be on VLCD. If you have a client that was obese, VLCD may be a good suggestion. If not, there are obviously other ways to lose weight.

I must admit I was starting to get really agitated by this thread but it is lovely to see that you are just really passionate about what you do and are willing to listen to other sides of a story

In a bit of a rush at the mo (must be mad -- going to 0700 spin class :eek:) so just a short post.

I really think that on a VLCD the exercise routine still depends on the individual. I know people who can only manage a brisk walk - I manage a fairly intensive exercise routine..............but I do listen to my body and on the occasion that I'm feeling a bit feeble I will go for a lower intensity class - but I would do that on any diet

xx

Hi Justin

Much respect to you for keeping such an open mind on the subject. I agree that VLCDs certainly aren't for everyone and are very much aimed at the very overweight.

We are advised to exercise with moderation and personally I did no exercise at all! When I completed the diet I had a health screen via my employer and found my % body fat to be within the normal range so it appears even without exercise I maintained the right balance of muscle vs fat.

Apologies but I am not sure I understand what you mean about how fat intake is distributed.

The food on a VLCD is in the form of soups/shakes/bars. I can't remember the percentages of carbs (very low)/protein/fat but if you are interested, I know the info is on the Cambridge website somewhere.

Some people opt for a small meal as well and that is protein and 2 tbsp vegies. Don't have all the measurements for each protein allowed but it's basically a very high protein diet.

I agree it's good Justin may have changed his view. However his questions do show the ignorance (note Justin I'm not saying you are ignorant just to confirm that) out there to VLCDs and how people make harsh judgements about things they know little about. The questions (as does the initial statement) show how little he knew about VLCDs.

Back