Slimmers with Illness/injury

fraggle1805

Hi I am back after a long break and going to slimming world. I am 35 with two children but my life is mainly dominated by having autoimmune diseases at the moment. I am often wheelchair bound or even bed bound on the worst days. I have to take some incredibly brutal drugs. I am desperate to lose weight as I hate myself but when I feel so poorly or in pain 95% of the time it is tough. So I am looking for any other members on here following any diet who understand each other and can help each other try and live more healthily when we have other things going on. So if anyone is interested it would be great to hear from you and we could set up a thread x

Hi fraggle,

Sorry to hear of your problems, and of how much pain you are in. It must be so hard for you, especially with having children. My situation is nowhere near as bad as yours, and I am a lot older than you, but I do understand how hard it is to stick to a diet when you aren't mobile, are in pain and having to take a lot of medication. I have really bad osteoarthritis, particularly in my knees. A couple of months ago I suffered a ruptured bakers cyst behind my left knee, which is basically where the knee has tried to make more fluid to lubricate the joint but the membrane at the back of the knee bursts and all the fluid goes into the surrounding tissues. The symptoms are similar to a DVT and the pain has been awful. I've been unable to move more than a few steps even with crutches, unable to drive and basically trapped in the house. It is improving slowly, and on the 27th I have my pre op for a total knee replacement. I have to get my BMI down before the op, but it's so hard coping with a strict diet as well as constant pain and immobility, when all you want is comfort food!

Slimming world is a great diet, I wish you lots of luck and would love to keep in touch.

Nicky x

Well, had two week break from SW, easter holidays meaning chocolate everywhere; I had two weeks away from my normal job and took a busmans holiday and worked driving lorries for those two weeks to put some extra away for summer holidays.

My weigh in last night showed a 1lb loss in three weeks, a loss is a loss, so I'll take it, but still a little disappointed as the extra shifts I was pulling were more physical than normal, so had hoped they would help with weight loss, however I may have worked muscles I hadn't for a while and they bulked a little, who knows? But that's what I'm blaming :whistle:

However I have been relatively pain free for a while, then I run out of one of my meds, only a small top up tablet, still taking the higher dose of it twice a day, I was alright for 2 days, but woke up Sunday in pain. Got my meds from chemist and took them as normal, yesterday was a great day almost no pain at all, this morning however is a different story, I was woke early by the pain, so, I took my meds, now 2 and a half hours later I'm still in that high level of pain, even had to get my better half to help me dress thus morning, she has not needed to do that for a long time.

My legs feel week today, more so than usual, guess I'll be on my can for the day then! Can't take time to rest, as assistant manager, but I really run the place, and having taken time off to do the lorries I have so many pieces to pick up its daft.

I hope everyone elseis having a better time of it.

Hi so sorry I started this then disappeared. It's great to be talking to both of you and I really hope that we may find some others and we can all help each other. I have been making some decisions. I am really very poorly and on some hard core drugs. I need to lose weight but it's so hard even when you ate healthy. I love my slimming world leader but I am struggling even with the pressure of just going to group. I was meant to go this morning but ended up going straight home after the school run as I was in agony and felt terrible. So I have signed up online. I need the motivation of submitting my weight and obviously have access to the syns etc. So it starts tomorrow. Sadly one of my treatments is low dose chemotherapy drugs which I took today and they pretty much destroy my weekend do tomorrow is a really hard day for me but I am feeling positive. I hope we can all help each other. I also went very stupid over easter so glad it's gone and all the easter eggs with it ha xx

Back