Slimming World and calorie intake

since i started sw i know i eat more fruit and veg..........and i feel better for it...............but i do make a effort not to over eat....and it does seem to work for me...........

its working for me too xxxx

I can never eat as much pasta as I think I can, and always leave lots on my plate. I think it's because it's not so nice without a meat based sauce! Either that, or my stomach's shrunk since I started but my head hasn't realised yet.

ive never thought about the calorie counting side of it. i just stick to plan and seem to have lost so far. i do eat alot of pasta and rice tho.

i did sw when i was at high school and i think it was due to my age and maturity i started skipping lunch and lost 7lbs one week then hey presto stopped losing very soon afterwards i put on weight then gave up

so this time no matter how slow if i m hungry i eat and if i m bored and want to comfort eat i have free foods usualy roast veg or sw quiche

i just hope it works

Hello everyone.. on a similar note to this thread.. i've been wondering if anyone recons there is an amount of pasta and potato that is 'too much' to eat in a week even though they are classed as free foods?
I work shifts in a hotel and have been finding it hard to get food that isnt pasta or potato that I can take to work without spending a lot of time in the kitchen (not great at cooking and often v tired after shifts). I am a bit worried I am overeating on the carb but don't really know how bad calorie wise they are for you! I've always done Weight Watchers previously and was taught they are high points wise there!
Any ideas on anything easy and fairly quick I can make to take to work with me otherwise?
:) x

TouchofRed said:
Hello everyone.. on a similar note to this thread.. i've been wondering if anyone recons there is an amount of pasta and potato that is 'too much' to eat in a week even though they are classed as free foods?
I work shifts in a hotel and have been finding it hard to get food that isnt pasta or potato that I can take to work without spending a lot of time in the kitchen (not great at cooking and often v tired after shifts). I am a bit worried I am overeating on the carb but don't really know how bad calorie wise they are for you! I've always done Weight Watchers previously and was taught they are high points wise there!
Any ideas on anything easy and fairly quick I can make to take to work with me otherwise?
:) x

It's always good to mix up your food when you can, I try to have different things each day but sometimes if I can only have pasta for lunch due to work 3 days in a row I will make different dishes or add different veggies and make a different sauce for example.
As for eating too much of it, you have to trust yourself to stop when you are full. If you are including your 1/3 superfree foods and stopping when full you don't need to worry.
True pasta might be quite high in calories, but for the amount of calories it contains it will fill you up quicker and keep you fuller for a longer period of time than say crisps eaten to the same calorie amount.
Check out the what's for lunch thread, loads of ideas in there. Can you make extra for dinner and save a portion for lunch? Or bulk cook on a day off and freeze portions that you can take out the night before and take for lunch.
Trust the plan, follow the rules and it will work! X

I wouldnt worry about the amount of pasta but i would only make up the amount of serving as per the back of the pasta. I think its in dry form 75g.

Try and serve with a sauce with lots of vegetables in it - onions, peppers, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms etc to get your superfree in. That would be a large portion.

Alternatively I make curry or chilli and serve with rice and have leftovers for lunch. I think if I have a huge portion than I am normally stuffed and dont fancy anything else. My chilli or spaggers has loads of superfree in (courgette and carrots as well as the obv onions, peppers, mushrooms, tinned toms etc)

I often have a proper sized lunch to keep me fuller for longer (i have never been a salad type of person unless its a pasta salad or couscous salad). I never get the people who have a small lunch like salad (my mum does this - she does well but then she cant keep to the lower cals she is ultimately having and struggles to lose weight). Then she gives up as unmotivated and puts what she lost back on.

Slimming World isnt about calories, trust it and it will work (the only issue where it wont work if someone goes from a low calorie diet where they have felt deprived to suddenly eating loads of free foods like potatoes and pasta as actually they might put weight on initially as they are probs having more calories.

My friend has been doing a vlc diet and I have told her to stick to slimming world but said it might take a few weeks for her weight to naturally balance out prior to the weight to start coming off.

I also think that all calories are not created equal....a calorie of sugary junk versus a calorie of protein might have different effects on your body chemistry? Dunno...just thinking aloud.

Back