slimming world and depo

carriebrad

hi,

is anyone following the slimming world plan who is on the depo provera contraception injection,

do you find it hampers your loss on the week you get the injection,

or does it prevent you from meeing you final target at all?

my own personal target is 12.12, i know its a wee bit high, but my own Dr has said that i would be fine around the 11 1/2 - 12 stone mark,

i am wondering would she be allowing for the depo at all?

do you cut down on your syns more the week your due your injection?

thanks for any opinions or advice you might have :)

Im on depo and have never considered it when setting target etc or thinking about syns.

My last injection was my first week and I lost 3lbs. My doctor has pointed out that it can make it harder to lose weight but I have not found a problem with it so far.

Im on depo and have never considered it when setting target etc or thinking about syns.

My last injection was my first week and I lost 3lbs. My doctor has pointed out that it can make it harder to lose weight but I have not found a problem with it so far.

thanks, my dr has said the same, time will tell i suppose! :)

This is my second time now on sw while being on the depo and iv never noticed it making a difference to my weight loss. The only thing i find is the week before and after it I'm super hungry all the time no matter how much I eat. It's like I'm a bottomless Pitt if I let it happen. I just make sure iv got lots of syn free snacks in when it's due!

I'm on the depo, and I did wonder if it would impact my losses, but so far, so good!

I have been told it will be harder once I'm nearer target. The less iv got to lose the harder it will be :( but dint have to worry about that right now!

I'm currently on the provera tablets but 2 years ago when I first started SW I had 3 months of the injections, I'm not near my target (I started over again this April) but the injections/tablets have made no difference to my losses. I'm a very slow loser anyway & I've been on numerous hormone tablets since starting SW.

I have been told it will be harder once I'm nearer target. The less iv got to lose the harder it will be :( but dint have to worry about that right now!

same here....being near target is not something i will have to worry about for a while yet :eek:

I know this is a bit of an old thread now lol but I have been worrying about this, I lost 3st on SW but fell off the wagon in August and now restarting. I love the plan and know it works, only difference this time round is I'm on Depo. It's good to hear people haven't had a problem, anyone else currently on SW and Depo and finding it ok?

Thought I'd update my own post here. It's been 13 weeks now since I started SW on the depo... and so far have lost 24.5lb... so it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect on the diet. :D

That is fantastic well done!! I really hope I'm the same!

Agreed been on depo for 5 years now and hasnr affected me losing weight putting it on maybe but thats up for discussion. I been on sw for 11 weeks now and lost 2st so far so no problems here :) gl:553:

Thanks so much for sharing your positive feedback.

Rachel I agree, even the clinic told me that weight gain is a problem with depo, but as lkong as it's not a problem losing it thats great. Why do you think we gain so easily on it? The hormones? or just lack of will power lol

I mean im honest enough to say that I have always been a big girl but did get even bigger the biggest I have ever been on depo, but with sw at least im know eating well etc. That is the only downside for me because i can trust myself with the pill the implant looks horrid (had a few friends that have had it) depo is convient for me a lot of people find it odd that im young and havent had any kids and im on it but it means i dont forget and also I never worry with it.

I'm currently on the depo and have been for 4 years. I've never been on SW without the depo so I'm not sure what the losses are like without it. But I can say that since having the depo, I have been the biggest I ever have been, and within the last year my mood has been terrible, even depressive at some stages, and my sex drive has totally gone AWOL.

My partner and I have both decided it's best if I don't have another injection, to see what happens after that. This course runs out on 26th Jan so I hope to see my mood brighten up a bit in Feb! Will report back to see how my losses are after that!!

One thing I will say though, it was meant to be the time of the month last week and I bloated up 7lb with the water retention! Thankfully, now mother nature is packing her bags and leaving for 3 weeks, the pounds are slipping away :)

I started the depo back in June and at the time wasn't on SW or any other diet, between then and before I started SW this month, I had only gained 3lbs which could have been the depo as I was warned I may gain up to a stone, but I was also eating a lot of junk so it was probably that too.

I did wonder when I re-started SW if the depo would make it harder but on my first week I lost 6lbs, maybe my losses will be slow from now on (everyone seems to get a good loss their first week) but as I've said before I'm not fussed how long this takes. I also have PCOS so that makes it slightly harder for me to lose weight anyway.

For me, the depo doesn't seem to have any effect on my weight. Obviously for some people it does affect their weight, even their moods as Jodieboo has said in her post. Whereas for me the pill had some serious side effects and that's why I switched to depo.

Quick question about the depo actually, if nobody minds me hijacking for a minute.

I was on the depo a few years back, before we decided to have a baby. It was always exactly 12 weeks to the DAY. If I got it on a Friday, I would get it exactly 12 weeks later, on a Friday. If I missed it by a day or so, I was told I'd have to wait for my period to come back, and then start all over again.

Since then, I've changed doctors, as my old one retired. This new doctor has told me that it's exactly 3 months to the DATE. And if I was due an injection on say... the 11th... that it wouldn't matter if I had it on the 10th or 12th instead.

I don't know, but that seems odd to me, after all my years doing it the other way. And since my second injection, a day before the date it was due, I've been having occassional spotting, and some very fresh blood too.

It all seems so wierd to me... I've never had this happen on the depo before. I'm a bit worried that my doctor has it wrong, and I'm at risk of becoming pregnant.

Quick question about the depo actually, if nobody minds me hijacking for a minute.

I was on the depo a few years back, before we decided to have a baby. It was always exactly 12 weeks to the DAY. If I got it on a Friday, I would get it exactly 12 weeks later, on a Friday. If I missed it by a day or so, I was told I'd have to wait for my period to come back, and then start all over again.

Since then, I've changed doctors, as my old one retired. This new doctor has told me that it's exactly 3 months to the DATE. And if I was due an injection on say... the 11th... that it wouldn't matter if I had it on the 10th or 12th instead.

I don't know, but that seems odd to me, after all my years doing it the other way. And since my second injection, a day before the date it was due, I've been having occassional spotting, and some very fresh blood too.

It all seems so wierd to me... I've never had this happen on the depo before. I'm a bit worried that my doctor has it wrong, and I'm at risk of becoming pregnant.

Hey chick. Mine's always to the day, 12 weeks from the last. Don't think it matters either way as long as it's done within the 13 week barrier.

I think there's a 2 week leeway if you miss it, so if you have it every 11 weeks then you can go up to 13, but I had it every 12 so I had one week.

X

Hey

My nurse does mine every 11 weeks, because of the hassle we have to go through if we miss it by just a day. So if I miss it I only have until the 12 week date exactly to get it done, and by giving me an 11 week date I have a whole week to make sure I get it done should I miss it. If that makes sense!

Back