slimming world and depo

Had a chat with the nurse last time I had my depo the injection increases appetite similar to when you have your period and crave junk/stodge. She says that as long as you manage those feelings properly there isn't a problem.

As far as the 12 weeks thing, there is now a number you can text and it sends you a reminder 2-3 weeks before the next injection is due. Is very helpful as my phone only reminds me a max of 3 days before.

I set up an event on my phones calendar 4 weeks before it's due to remind me to book my appointment and order the prescription, rather than get the reminder the day it's due. That way I have a month to arrange everything. Last time I cut it fine and got a row off the nurse lol

Normally you have the injection every 12 weeks, the minimum is normally 10 (reccomemded if you have probs with bleeding) the maximum is 14 :)

Well I started the depo when I was 17, I'm now 32, had two breaks when I had kids but wasn't on it last time I was on plan. I can say when on depo I did nothing but gain weight, but equally I ate a lot of crap so not surprising really!! If it interferes with my losses I'll come off it and hubby will have to have the snip :)

hi all,

just thought i would update my own thread / question

i am at slimming world 29 weeks now, and i have lost 60.5lbs (4 stone 4.5lbs) in that time

every 4th week i only loose 0.5 / 1lb, which leads me to beleive that even tho im on depo / dont have periods, that your body still does change inside every month

carriebrad said:
hi all,

just thought i would update my own thread / question

i am at slimming world 29 weeks now, and i have lost 60.5lbs (4 stone 4.5lbs) in that time

every 4th week i only loose 0.5 / 1lb, which leads me to beleive that even tho im on depo / dont have periods, that your body still does change inside every month

Yeah it defo does. My C says (and actually my nurse has said this too) that even though there's no period there is still a cycle. I find though that I always get a big gain on the *week before I'm due an injection rather than 3 little ones.

Hi all

The Depo is 'guaranteed' to be effective up to 12 weeks + 5 days (but errors do occur as with most contraception). The norm for most is to have it anytime between 11 & 12 weeks but I find it easiest when I have exactly the same number of days between each injection. I've been on it for 10 years & I have put weight on with it, however it is not the Depo itself that causes this. The Depo (& many other hormonal contraceptives) increase your appetite & if you gain weight is down to whether you indulge in the overeating or exercise some self control. I am only now learning the latter... :) xx

just updating my own thread, i lost 6 stone in a year, and im still on depo, 13 months since i joined SW i have 6 stone 6lb off so i dont think depo stopped my progress

Back