slimming world and thyroid.

kksweety

Hey all, I'm thinking of trying to go slimming world alone.
I have hashimotos which leaves me with an underactive thyroid.... is there anything I should keep in kind while trying this particular diet? Should I have any less syns?

Thanks in advance
Kk

Are you taking levothyroxine? If you are balanced I don't know if there's any reason not to follow the plan as everyone else does. Just have the usual 5-15 syns as normal :)

Agreed - as long as your taking levothyroxine to manage your metabolism then the plan should be just the same

Me too, Im on levothyroxine 125mcg, I just stick to the regular plan. As long as your blood levels are normal and your meds up to date. (And even if they're not normal its your meds you should be changing, not your food intake ;) )

Thanks guys. I tend to he a bit wary of stuff cause despite me levels being 'normal' with 150mg I still feel rubbish 75% of the time. Also know there is a lot of beg etc not supposed to have, and soya. Sw actually does good for cutting soya out... its in nearly everything that's pre packaged!

Like so many others on here I'm on 150mg of Levothyroxine. Nobody has told me that I have to do things any differently in terms of following a weight loss plan because of that. It never entered my head actually.

There's veg and soya your not allowed to have??

Nobody ever told me this....and I've been on Levothyroxine for almost 12 years now. I don't really eat soya but I do eat cabbage. :sigh:

I've been on thyroxine for about 15 years and eat pretty much anything. I was never told by my consultant or GP that theres anything I should eat/not eat although I have read the science behind it since hearing about it on here and it makes sense. Ive lost 6 1/2 stone so it obviously works ok for me. I guess if you're having problems controlling your thyroxine levels it might be worth avoiding those things but otherwise Id just eat what you like. Also it might depend on the reasons behind your hypothyroidism - mine was removed due to a tumour but there are loads of other causes such as autoimmune stuff where I guess it might be more important.

Back