Slimming World - Any Negatives?

Colmarnock

Hi all.

I started the slimming world diet last week without joining a group. I bought the books via eBay and a friend helped me understand the basics.

I love making my own food and really enjoy the challenges of trying to make healthy, yet tasty food.

I'll be honest and say although generally I've made some tasty food in the last week, my Frittata tasted liked well, let's just say it was vile!

I know that the diet drives us away from sugars and fats but can you really eat "all" of the free food you want ?

Surely eating as much carbs and meat (fat free or not) would be detrimental over time if you have it as much as you like?

I've always thought that everything is good in moderation (not that I've always followed that ethos)

In the last week I've made 2 curries, Spag Bol and even a chicken dinner and I've still lost 5lb! With my wife losing 4lb.

But can I really, truly eat as much as I want and sustain weight loss? Or is this just a gimmick?

I also feel guilty about the syns. I'm struggling to take them and feel guilty at the thought of going above about 2-3 syns a day.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable joining a SW group so going to a group to ask is not for me.

Thanks in anticipation. :)

I think SW is great. No, you can't stuff your face silly with pasta - a reasonable portion. There's no reason to eat more than you need. You will lose weight with SW, and you'll eat very healthily.
Why don't you join on-line for 3 months - just until you're confident? Then you'll get all the charts as to what you can and can't eat, portions etc. Example, you'd eat one or two eggs for breakfast, so you're not going to suddenly eat 5 because they're free. Common sense will see you ok. The recipe books are very good. Have you tried the SW chips yet? It's great being able to eat those from time and time and lose weight!

Thanks Patchninja.

Lol yeah I wouldn't be going for the five egg diet. (four maybe) as I do feel full up with what I have.

However I do feel hungry more regularly. Maybe that's psychological?

Didn't know I could join online for 3 months. Thought I had to join a Little Britain style diet class (and here's me thinking I was semi intelligent) I will have a wee look at doing this.

I've not tried their chips yet, although last night I did have sweet potato wedges.

Now I'm looking forward to doing these.

As soon as you tell me how to lol :)

For the chips, Frylight is your friend! Get hold of a bottle. Chips, roast potatoes..... frying meat, eggs.....
Peel your tatoes and cut into wedges or whatever shape you like. Parboil, drain, put on roasting tray. Spray with frylight, roast until crisp. Yum. Free food. I'm doing Extra Easy.

To join up pn-line, simply google sw, and go for it. I think 3 months is a minimum. You can download all the charts such as the Syn values for hundreds of foods, the charts for the healthy extras and the chart for superfree and free foods. My 3 month subscription comes to an and soon then I'll go it alone. I've bought lots of books - I know it's early, but the Xmas book is excellent. The curry book is very good as is the meals in 30 mins..... all of them.

For a tasty frittata, I think the secret is lots and lots of onions and garlic.

Thanks for the Fritatta tips!

I joined SW online last night and although it looks like info overload at the moment, I took the liberty of ordering some books.

I already have the Curry one and the stuff is scrummy.

I've ordered the Xmas one, the soup one, the 2 EE ones, Food directory and Syn Free Snacks.

Loving the idea of the Chips and a Syn worth of Low sugar/salt ketchup.

You're a god send. Very helpful indeed. Thank you. :)

Hi all.

I started the slimming world diet last week without joining a group. I bought the books via eBay and a friend helped me understand the basics.

I love making my own food and really enjoy the challenges of trying to make healthy, yet tasty food.

I'll be honest and say although generally I've made some tasty food in the last week, my Frittata tasted liked well, let's just say it was vile!

I know that the diet drives us away from sugars and fats but can you really eat "all" of the free food you want ?

Surely eating as much carbs and meat (fat free or not) would be detrimental over time if you have it as much as you like?

I've always thought that everything is good in moderation (not that I've always followed that ethos)

In the last week I've made 2 curries, Spag Bol and even a chicken dinner and I've still lost 5lb! With my wife losing 4lb.

But can I really, truly eat as much as I want and sustain weight loss? Or is this just a gimmick?

I also feel guilty about the syns. I'm struggling to take them and feel guilty at the thought of going above about 2-3 syns a day.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable joining a SW group so going to a group to ask is not for me.

Thanks in anticipation. :)
Hi, I have been with SW for some time now and joined needing to lose 20st, I have lost over 11st of that amount, so I would say no it's not a gimmick at all, it's a healthy lifestyle....all the advice that Patch has given you is absolutely sound but one thing I must point out to you is, don't feel guilty about using your syns they are there to be used, to lose weight properly you need a balanced diet and that includes fat, which is what your syns are.

Here is a link to a brilliant post that I found on Minimin's when I first joined, it has been my "bible" and has given brilliant advice
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/96237-abolish-myths-reading-newbies.html
...oh and not all groups are like they are portrayed on Little Britain :giggle: I belong to a brilliant group and would not be able to get through my week without the support that my amazing Consultant and the members of my group provide.

I never say good luck as it's not luck we need, it's a choice we make, so I will say well done in advance for all the right choices and the great losses you will achieve :hug99: xx

SW biggest negative for me was being able to eat too many carbs

SW biggest negative for me was being able to eat too many carbs

That's your choice surely, you don't have to eat too many carbs...I don't even though I absolutely love them, they work against me so I avoid them as much as I can, it's a free choice how much you eat, if you have ab alanced diet then it will work

Last edited:
Lily

Thanks so much for your info. I'll have a look at your link next. And well done for losing as much too.

I'm loving it and last night had my first real Syn! A 5.5syn Shape Delight and I felt guilty for about 5 minutes.

Zoesastar that was my thought too about the carbs but I guess it's our choice to eat as much or as little as we like.

For me the main thing seems to be the move away from sugars and fats and any plan that does that is ok in my book.

Thanks for your replies.

Lily42uk said:
That's your choice surely, you don't have to eat too many carbs...I don't even though I absolutely love them, they work against me so I avoid them as much as I can, it's a free choice how much you eat, if you have ab alanced diet then it will work

Oh yes Lily definately. But if you choose too you can eat as much white pasta, rice and potatoes as you want. All 3 personally make me LOOK fat, I might still lose a "bit" of weight but my stomach blows up like a balloon and I suddenly lose my waist!

SW really need to improve on how important is to portion carbs against meat and veg etc

Oh yes Lily definately. But if you choose too you can eat as much white pasta, rice and potatoes as you want. All 3 personally make me LOOK fat, I might still lose a "bit" of weight but my stomach blows up like a balloon and I suddenly lose my waist!

SW really need to improve on how important is to portion carbs against meat and veg etc

Hi Zoe, SW do promote how important it is to portion carbs against meat and veg, in both the books and in the groups that I have been to (I understand that some Consultants are not as concientous as others in promoting this) it is clearly written a) that everything should be eaten in moderation and that b) a wide variety of foods should be eaten....each person is different, I have 2 siblings that can eat carbs quite freely and still lose weight, and then there are 5 more of us that can't so it's a case of trying and testing to see what suits you, but in any weight loss plan be it with SW or any of the many others and believe me in the last 40+ years I believe I have tried most of them it's all down to your choices, and you're ability to not give in when you have gone off plan, the art of really being able to lose weight is being able to forgive yourself when you have strayed and to stay with the plan no matter what....none of us really need to follow or join any slimming clubs, we all really know what works for us and what doesn't....I choose to go to SW as a lot of my friends do and I enjoy the group and find my Consultant extremely supportive....As an adult I fully understand that a diet heavy in carbs will ultimately mean I and about 90% of the population will get bloated or even gain weight should we indulge in it too often....what SW and most other diet plans promote is healthy eating, a varied diet, moderation in all things except most veg, even fruit should be limited as most contain high levels of sugar.
Zoe I have enjoyed our discussion lol thank you and Colmarnock sorry for taking over your thread xx

Not at all

That's what's it's for :)

Hi

I've been doing SW (on t'internet) for just shy of a year now.

Started at 24.3 and have lost 6 stone (my wife started at the same time and has lost 5 stone).

Portion control is key. Eat until you're full which in reality means stop eating just before you feel full.

We still eat plenty but we're relatively happy with the rate we lose at and the whole thing is maintainable. I'm very rarely hungry. When I am it's usually about time to eat anyway. Turns out its ok to be hungry just before lunch or dinner. Who knew?

If you follow the 1/3 super free and only eat until you're full then it automatically limits how many carbs you're eating.

Good luck!

Hi all, I'm new to the site and sw, I have my 2nd weigh in tomorrow.I just wanted to reassure colmarnock that the groups really aren't as bad as you think...
I'm no good with groups of people and I was terrified! But everyone is really friendly and helpful.
I find the plus side to group is knowing I've got a weigh in due, without that I would have no motivation!
But if you're determined enough to go it alone then well done you! :0)

Eat until you are full (not rammed to the hilt) and you'll be fine ;) no negatives to report my end, only that i am a slooooow loser, lol, but thats just me :)
All the best hun! X

Thanks all

Very much appreciative of your replies x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back