Slimming world...become increasingly disheartened

elbyelby

Hello there.

I love this forum and have been using loads of your tips/hints since I joined SW about 10 weeks ago. I've lost 1 st 7 pounds but am having difficulties now!

Last two weeks I've 1) lost only 1ib and this week I GAINED 1.5 1bs having not very few syns and sticking regimentally to 1/3 (if not more!) superfree. Last week I was eating two enormous plates of pasta a day and do wonder whether that had something to do with a gain. I was also on my period on day of weigh-in. Would this have effected weight?

Struggling now, am trying to cut down portion size of free food (though thought you could eat as much as you wanted?!)...

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks so much!

I definatly think your period will have had a lot to do with it, i put on at least 3lbs at my time of the month so i just avoid weighing as i know i will get depressed!!

I go through weeks where i lose a lot, then the next week its half a pound and like you i get disheartened but i guess your body just flunctuates as it adjusts to its new way of eating :)

good luck xxx

body dont know iits weigh in day and use syns thats what they are there for weeks i tried to cut down syns i put on weeks i use them to max and have good lose period could have something to do with a gain just stick with it :)

Keep going. You are doing everything right. You are eating much better than you were and eventually the weight will come off.

I was talking to my cousin who joined SW a few weeks ago - and although she has a way to go she is only losing about 1= 1.5lb's a week and was becoming disheartened as I lose a bit better than her and don;'t have so much to lose.

At the end of the day - over about 20 weeks or so - you add up what people have lost and what you have lost and it always works out - roughly to 1 - 2lb's a week.

Carry on doing what you did the first few weeks and it will all fall into place.

ENJOY your food - and well done BTW

Dont give up. You have been averaging 2lbs a week, which is FAB. * weeks are often likely to create a gain, with water retention etc.

FREE food is FREE and technically unlimited....... BUT...... all free food does still have a calorie value. If you ate 3000 cals worth of FREE food, your likely to see a gain.
Free food does still need some degree of moderation on it. You may find that the pasta hasnt helped. SW is a bit of trial and error. to see what works for your body. maybe try a NO pasta week, or considerably less pasta and see how it works.

Hey Hun!

Don't get down, as everyon else has said, you're doing great!

Do you have brown or White pasta?! I eat a lot of brown pasta/rice etc but would try to avoid tok much White?!

:)

As others have said - 2lb a week is dead on what the plan is meant to give you.

I would be concerned though about the amount of pasta if you're eating it twice a day every day? The body needs to have variety - eating the same thing each day means the body gets used to breaking that food down and giving you the maximum calories. varying things means the body has to work harder to get the calories out of the food. it also prevents boredom setting in.

I'd also say - there is no guarentee in this of having a loss each and every week - our bodies will sometimes hold onto calories, etc for whatever reason (and that includes that time of the month for the ladies) and give a skewed result. it is important to look at the overall loss rather then a short term view. (though i'm as guilty of this myself - i had been struggling lately because i'd looked short term - a few questions though from my consultant last week made me realise just how far i had come through my entire journey and has given me a much needed boost this week).

I think your taking far too much on at once. All this portion size stuff.

Hon iv had monsterous gains, sts for a month running when i joined the gym and was working out 3 times a week and then iv lost weeks iv eaten pizza! its odd, its unpredictable.. but no other diet is going to garentee you a certain number on the scales each week.. its just not possible.. you never know till you get on them. Some weeks the losses and gains are just unexplainable. .

Youv done incredibly well for the short time youv been on slimmingworld..

iv been on sw 2.5 years now and its the best thing iv ever done. Kept my weight of perfectly fine, and although i still have tough weeks.. sw is for life. Iv had a slight hiccup with a fw lbs on after some fabulous weeks 'off plan' whilst on hols etc. but i know its going to come back off again.

You CAN do this. Youv just gotta keep going. xxxxxxxxxxxx

My weight loss has been erratic, and yet I have stuck to the plan 100% since I started, but if you look at the average loss over the weeks, it is around 2 pounds per week. I have had no blips and have done the same thing each week (not necessarily the same food, but I haven't fell off the plan and tend to use the same amount of syns over the week) and yet some weeks I have lost virtually nothing, and the next I have lost 5lbs.

Your cycle will also make a difference - if you are losing an average of 1.5 pounds a week, and put on 2+ on your period, then you are going to gain on those weeks, but it doesn't mean you've done anthing wrong. I also gain around ovulation.

It's difficult to tell if you are overeating from what you have said - if you are having your superfree with your pasta, then probably not. Perhaps you can give us a typical day's food diary and we can have a look?

Firstly, congratulations on your fab losses so far! Try not to let a gain put you off. I gained 1lb for no reason a few weeks ago, the best thing I did was get back on it... I lost 3lbs the next time!

I eat very large portions of pasta, I always have done. I've recently switched to wholegrain pasta instead now, I eat a bit less and stay fuller for longer. I think you should eat as much free food as you want as long as you bulk it up with superfree. As long as you're eating until you're full it should be fine. Maybe stir something high protein like lentils into your pasta sauces to bulk it up further.

Your period can effect weigh in, I usually do a lot of red days or a a scan bran week when I'm due to counteract any potential gains!

Hello there.

I love this forum and have been using loads of your tips/hints since I joined SW about 10 weeks ago. I've lost 1 st 7 pounds but am having difficulties now!

Last two weeks I've 1) lost only 1ib and this week I GAINED 1.5 1bs having not very few syns and sticking regimentally to 1/3 (if not more!) superfree. Last week I was eating two enormous plates of pasta a day and do wonder whether that had something to do with a gain. I was also on my period on day of weigh-in. Would this have effected weight?

Struggling now, am trying to cut down portion size of free food (though thought you could eat as much as you wanted?!)...

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks so much!

I've been on slimming world for about the same time as you and my losses have also slowed down. I've started swapping my fruit snacks for veg snacks now to see if that helps. I always get a gain when I'm due on, or on my period too :)

My losses are all over the place, I'll have some excellent losses and then gain or STS. Some I know where they came from and others not so much.

Keep going, mix things up a bit, and if you're hungry try to snack on superfree instead of free, this might help some. And * week almost ALWAYS results in a gain that week for me.

Variety is the key, try not to get stuck in a rut eating the same things all the time, there are so many wonderful recipes, there should be no reason to get stuck on having the same type of meals every day.

I don't think there is anyone on here that has gone from beginning to target without having some gains along the way.

I don't think there is anyone on here that has gone from beginning to target without having some gains along the way.

shes completly right. my gains vary between 3-8lbs depending on what iv done that week, if i didnt just back on the wagon each time, id be back were i started.. Youv just gotta write it off, forget about it. If you dwell, your mind cant begin all that positive thinking you need to do it 1000%

You can do this. Stay strongx

I can't really add anything to all the other fab advice you've been given - but dont give up!!!! I always get a gain around my * week. Congrats on yr loss so far - you're doing amazing! xxxxxxx

Hello!

Thanks so so so so much for all the tips and advice and support so far!

Really really helpful. This forum is SO great!

So this week I'm going to try eating less pasta, am converting to wholewheat over white and am going to try switching some superfree snacks from fruit to veg...does this make a lot of difference when struggling do people find? I eat a hell of a lot of apples atm!

Hoping that * did mean gain and had nice big slice of cake last night on syns ...going to start having a bit more of them again, thanks for that tip too.

Thanks again everyone and good luck for weigh ins this week. xx

Back