Slimming world chips!

Vegan*4*Life said:
Thank you VERY much xox
Also glad that they are called that, not very technical ;)

They are brilliant, but I caved and bought an Airfryer after getting sick of moving all my bake where from the oven and burning my arm weekly ;) I have a small kitchen. Life's so much better with an Airfryer but mesh does same job :)

You can buy the chip mesh things in asda or b&m for like £1.50 I hate them tho cos I always burn my hand they ain't very sturdy sometimes I put them on top of a baking tray that has raised sides so it's not sitting on the tray but above it so the air can circulate :)

Thanks for the advice, I have a small kitchen too but luckily a double oven so store all my stuff in the bottom one ;) It's a pain if I need the bigger one though as I'm the same, stuff everywhere! So I take it they do work then? a few pounds is OK to try!! Lol.

Vegan*4*Life said:
Thanks for the advice, I have a small kitchen too but luckily a double oven so store all my stuff in the bottom one ;) It's a pain if I need the bigger one though as I'm the same, stuff everywhere! So I take it they do work then? a few pounds is OK to try!! Lol.

I've the same double oven, the problem is I find I need the big fan oven to do chips. They kinda sweat in the top one :( that's why I kept moving all my stuff out. X

I've the same double oven, the problem is I find I need the big fan oven to do chips. They kinda sweat in the top one :( that's why I kept moving all my stuff out. X

Both of mine are fan oven's so I only use the big and small one when I am cooking different things at different temps or if I'm baking. I wonder if that's why they were so crap though? the bottom one always seems to be more reliable. I don't bake biscuits and cakes in the top one for that reason :/

I found one on Ebay for £2.99 and just over £1 to send it so will give that a go. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully they will turn out better this time. I will make them a bit thicker than the advised 1/2" to see if it helps with the fluffiness ;)

My old pics.

Attachments

• image-3046524339.jpg
    image-3046524339.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 435
  • image-3570672493.jpg
    image-3570672493.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 193
Vegan*4*Life said:
Oooh they look good. I could just eat those now :D Are the ones in the second pic to the right from the same batch?

I can't remember but I'm guessing so as both pics were together ;) the potatoes make a difference too, I think they were best from last years new Cheshire potatoes. But as I've two growing teens I only buy a massive bag of spuds from local market that lasts a month. I can't afford fancy potatoes just for chips. I get the cheshires as I live a minute from farm, and my son or mates do spud picking. They're allowed to bring a bag home :)

That's cool about the spud picking and getting freebies! I was asking if they were the same as they were so different. Thought you may be comparing one done on the mesh tray and one without maybe? ;) Off to make my toast as I am hungry now :D

The absolute secret is to make sure that all the steam has come off them before you put them into a pre heated oven. I put them in around 190 in a fan oven and regularly give them another spray of fry light and a shake. It really does work! X

I do mine with "red rooster" potatoes, first boil for 5 mins, remove and dry, spray an oven tray with Fry Light, lay the potato in one layer, spray with Fry Light, sprinkle with "cajun" powder, cook at 200c, turn over at half time usually takes 25-35 mins depends on potato size....

Fish,Chips & Beans (Small).JPG

They look amazing! I must say I haven't tried making the chips yet but will probably stick to the microwave tips people have been giving rather than boiling first. I tend to do wedges instead, literally just cut the potatoes up, leaving the skins on and mix in a bowl with Fry Light, seasoning (tends to be salt pepper and garlic granules. Then bung them in the oven and turn over half way though :)

They look amazing! I must say I haven't tried making the chips yet but will probably stick to the microwave tips people have been giving rather than boiling first. I tend to do wedges instead, literally just cut the potatoes up, leaving the skins on and mix in a bowl with Fry Light, seasoning (tends to be salt pepper and garlic granules. Then bung them in the oven and turn over half way though :)
Do the wedges come out fluffy or hard? :)

Vegan*4*Life said:
Do the wedges come out fluffy or hard? :)

Fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside if you do it right :D

I also don't bother microwaving/boiling them before hand, just chuck them in the oven (sometimes peeled, sometimes not) with frylight and herbs, and they're yummy!

Back