Slimming World Copyright Clarification

The official SW books and guides are not supposed to be available anywhere other than classes, SW by post or the bodyoptimise site. I think they actually say on them that they are not for resale. The ones that are available on Ebay should not be there.

I had a thread pulled yesterday because I said I'd bought the new books from EBay. I really didn't know you couldn't do this. If it's not allowed, why don't EBay pull the sales as I know they do for the CD reproductions of the diet that appear on EBay? There's copyright on lots of things, but you are allowed to buy other secondhand books on eBay? Anyway, not a complaint I'm just surprised that SW have this much control over their copyright.

I guess it's more than just the copyright. To just look at the book the plans can be confusing and it would be so easy for people to just buy the books and, without the right guidance, get it wrong. Could you imagine, if you were the founder of such an amazing plan, to have people saying it doesn't work and people became unhealthy whilst 'following' the plan simply because they'd done it without guidance and support?! There is a real need for plans such as SW to encourage people to get the right support whether it's by joining a local group or online.

I guess it's more than just the copyright. To just look at the book the plans can be confusing and it would be so easy for people to just buy the books and, without the right guidance, get it wrong. Could you imagine, if you were the founder of such an amazing plan, to have people saying it doesn't work and people became unhealthy whilst 'following' the plan simply because they'd done it without guidance and support?! There is a real need for plans such as SW to encourage people to get the right support whether it's by joining a local group or online.

Yes I agree, although I love SW to absolute bits it is best to have it explained to you initially at least.

My case is a little different, I've been a member before and know the plan, but I thought I'd lost my books so bought some off Ebay (as it was 2 days later when 'Spring' cleaning I found 3 old starter packs :eek:). I pay £35 an hour to go to a Personal Trainer each week and he weighs me, so I really couldn't get a club membership passed my hubby too!

I guess my point is with all this rambling.... I do agree it's best to join club wherever possible, but as long as your not blatantly ripping off SW by reproducing their literature, I see no problem with members selling their books.

Phew, sorry!!

Yes I agree that it serves a purpose for existing members. A friend of mine bought a CR-ROM from eBay with the whole plan on AND the Fast Forward plan which I found quite scary as that is a supervised plan, not just something that should be followed at a whim.

The official SW books and guides are not supposed to be available anywhere other than classes, SW by post or the bodyoptimise site. I think they actually say on them that they are not for resale. The ones that are available on Ebay should not be there.

The magazine never gives full lists of foods that are free, obviously the idea being that you pay to join a class to get that information.

Slimming world sell the books on amazon...

MissMimi said:
Slimming world sell the books on amazon...

I looked at the ones on amazon and it appears they are the old version with sins instead of syns and no EE plan.

if anyone has them and can advise I would like to know. I only have an old book from 2001

All sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest!

All sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest!

No its not actually Sw have a very good relationship with this forum and allow us to share a lot of info. At the end of the day theyre running a business and minimins are happy to cooperate

If you find it all ridiculous maybe this isnt the forum for you

No its not actually Sw have a very good relationship with this forum and allow us to share a lot of info. At the end of the day theyre running a business and minimins are happy to cooperate

If you find it all ridiculous maybe this isnt the forum for you

Woah!

I was commenting about the fact that you're not allowed to buy/sell Slimming World recipe books on Ebay. I understand that Slimming World is a business but they've technically already received the money when the book was bought first time round. We/They should be encouraging the sharing of knowledge and recipes. Exactly as this blog does, as their groups do and as they do on their website.

Also - This is a discussion forum, all opinions should be allowed to be expressed. For and against.

Back