Slimming World have taken away student discount :( £4.25 to £4.95 - so unfair?!

miss_emmajane

Silver Member
It is so unfair, it was only 25p but at least it was something! I put aside money to go each week and now the prices have gone up and I can't even get student discount :(

I know what you mean as I went as a student member for a long time too.

However, SW keep pointing out that buying a countdown is cheaper than paying weekly anyway, whatever the discount. Can you have enough saved one week (or buy at the start of loan instalment, etc) to buy a countdown?

And if you buy it in the next week it is still at the now rates of £22.50 for a 6 week and £45 for a 12 week countdown. I asked tonight as I want to buy one next week.

Irene xx

That sucks!! I am a student member too, but luckily I don't go to classes because i can't afford it!! Think it's a little unfair to be honest!

Hmm... I'm no longer a student member but actually earn less now in my new job than I did when I was a student! I think having one set price certainly makes it easier, and there's no reason why students should get discounts when people on income support, etc don't!

And if you buy a countdown, it's cheaper anyway (AFAIK, it always has been).

Do any other groups like WW offer student discount?

It is so unfair, it was only 25p but at least it was something! I put aside money to go each week and now the prices have gone up and I can't even get student discount :(

Me too!!! the money made all the difference to me - i have a part time job but that barely covers my food costs, and my loan i get doesnt pay ofr my rent, its so annoying. I hate having to ask my parents for money and am always in my overdraft! grrr:mad:

Not taking the price rise itself into consideration, will this really stop you from going?
It's 25p. £1 a month.
If you really really want to lose the weight you will find a way to find the extra money. One less drink per month? (not that I'm suggesting for a minute that you drink a lot!)
I'm afraid I'm with paperclip and gemmylou, I'm not sure students should get a discount.

Not taking the price rise itself into consideration, will this really stop you from going?
It's 25p. £1 a month.
If you really really want to lose the weight you will find a way to find the extra money. One less drink per month? (not that I'm suggesting for a minute that you drink a lot!)
I'm afraid I'm with paperclip and gemmylou, I'm not sure students should get a discount.

I must tell you that I don't drink alcohol so I am not your average student.

I don't have a job (I am a full time teacher trainee and worked for the first two year, final year and a job is a no-no) and have to pay to go to university - its not about finding extra ways to get money because I literally don't have any to spare. I know its only 25p but its just the principle more than anything - its £12 a year which could go on the food shops I have to do to stay on plan.

I wasn't having a dig, it was just my opinion.
Also, I don't think WW or RC offer student discount so SW is just coming into line with the others.

Back