Slimming World is SO much better

I mentioned in passing to my practitioner nurse that I wanted to lose a bit of weight for my wedding and asked if they had any leaflets or something.

She checked my weight and then looked something up and said that I could have some vouchers for slimming world - I think she was probably checking my BMI - I think to qualify for free vouchers you had to be in the obese category - I was only just in there, but it got me the free vouchers.

That was last January - I've now lost around 3 1/2 stone and been at target (more or less) since February this year.

You can disagree with it if you like, but I can tell you right now, it had never crossed my mind to have joined a slimming club before and I would never, ever have done it without the referral. I can also safely say that without going to slimming world I truly believe I would not have lost 3 1/2 stone and been at a healthy BMI and mainintaing - I would have just been half arsed dieting and failing - and seeing the weight slowly creep up until it got to the stage that I would be more and more unhealthy and more of a drain on the NHS.

So disagree if you wish, but without SW being "handed to me on a plate" I wouldnt be here!

What I do vehemently disagree with is SW being offered in some areas but not others - but then thats how the NHS works across the board often with far more serious implications when it comes to treatment and drugs offered in different PCTs - but thats a whole other argument.

Thats brilliant and well done you for loosing the weight :) but I still don't agree with free vouchers being handed out. Don't see why the nurse/doctor can't just advise people to join a slimming club and explain all the health benefits in loosing weight, if the person really wants to loose weight they will join regardless :)

Thats brilliant and well done you for loosing the weight :) but I still don't agree with free vouchers being handed out. Don't see why the nurse/doctor can't just advise people to join a slimming club and explain all the health benefits in loosing weight, if the person really wants to loose weight they will join regardless :)

Some people really need a kick up the backside before they do anything. And some people simply can't afford to pay the weekly fee of a group.

I fully agree with paying for groups for people. In the long term it's cheaper than everything else weight loss related. They might not be fully motivated when the join but if they then start losing weight the motivation will gradually grow.

xx

Some people really need a kick up the backside before they do anything. And some people simply can't afford to pay the weekly fee of a group.

I fully agree with paying for groups for people. In the long term it's cheaper than everything else weight loss related. They might not be fully motivated when the join but if they then start losing weight the motivation will gradually grow.

xx

Fair enough, pay for the first few groups and if the person is loosing weight and likes the plan then they start paying for it themselves but honestly i'm not gonna change my mind on paying for them to continue to go to group, I just don't agree with it just like I don't agree with weight loss surgery on the NHS and a whole host of other treatments offered to people :)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

xx

You are right they do need a kick up the backside - I'm walking proof of that.

And I really agree with your statement about the motivation growing - I wasnt even sure I wanted to go when I was offered the free vouchers - even though they were offering me about £130 worth of free stuff!

And I am now an absolute card carrying member of Slimming world - I still attend group every week as target member, I tell everyone how great I think it is (got about 5 friends starting SW over the last few months - sadly all at different groups to me so i never got an introduce a friend free week), and am absolutely committed to doing this for life.

Its also changed my habits - even though body magic isnt really pushed in my group, my healthier approach to life has got me exercising more than I ever have to the extent that I cycle to work every day, go to the gym and have started runnning and am doing a 1/2 marathon this weekend.

I just know that without that referral I would never have done it, I'd probably be nearer 14 stone by now, slouching on the sofa this weekend rather than running 13 miles, and I'm sure there are thousands like me.

You are right they do need a kick up the backside - I'm walking proof of that.

And I really agree with your statement about the motivation growing - I wasnt even sure I wanted to go when I was offered the free vouchers - even though they were offering me about £130 worth of free stuff!

And I am now an absolute card carrying member of Slimming world - I still attend group every week as target member, I tell everyone how great I think it is (got about 5 friends starting SW over the last few months - sadly all at different groups to me so i never got an introduce a friend free week), and am absolutely committed to doing this for life.

Its also changed my habits - even though body magic isnt really pushed in my group, my healthier approach to life has got me exercising more than I ever have to the extent that I cycle to work every day, go to the gym and have started runnning and am doing a 1/2 marathon this weekend.

I just know that without that referral I would never have done it, I'd probably be nearer 14 stone by now, slouching on the sofa this weekend rather than running 13 miles, and I'm sure there are thousands like me.

Whether I agree or not with how you came about joining Slimming World I still think you have done amazing :)

Fair enough, pay for the first few groups and if the person is loosing weight and likes the plan then they start paying for it themselves but honestly i'm not gonna change my mind on paying for them to continue to go to group, I just don't agree with it just like I don't agree with weight loss surgery on the NHS and a whole host of other treatments offered to people :)

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

I thought that was how it worked? I think you get about 6 months paid for then it's up to you...

I don't know i've never been referred, but I think there's a limit.

Anyone been referred by their GP who can tell us how it's done?

xx

I have lost count of the number of people who are on here who try to follow SW from home, simply because they can't afford group. If those people could get the brilliant advice from group, and as result be more sucessful at loosing weight, then I am all for them being referred. The way the referral system works is that if you BMI is in the obese category you get referred for a 12 week countdown. At the end of that time if you have lost a sufficent percentage of your body weight, but are still outside of a healthy BMI, you can get another 12week countdown for free.

I think £120 of NHS money well spent, a damm sight cheaper even 1 operation of any kind being performed as a result of obesity (given that it costs £400 just to put you under for an op).

Having said this - I do think the referral to any slimming group should be means tested. I could have been referred via the GP, but I can afford the subs, so I could not in good conscience go and get it for free.

I think the people that I've seen on here who were referred got 12 weeks paid.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

i'm not gonna change my mind on paying for them to continue to go to group

What do you suggest for people with zero money cupcake? Out of work, single mother, disabled?

I thought that was how it worked? I think you get about 6 months paid for then it's up to you...

I don't know i've never been referred, but I think there's a limit.

Anyone been referred by their GP who can tell us how it's done?

xx

Ah right i'm all for it then, I thought they got the entire time they were at SW paid for :)

In my area you got 12 weeks to start with - you went back to your GP/nurse for a review and if you were shown to be losing (ie taking it seriously) you got another 12 weeks. After that you are free to convert to a paying member - which I did until I got to target.

I agree it has its flaws - perhaps those with less to lose should get fewer weeks - those with more to lose get more. And I have to admit, I wouldnt class myself as being someone who is less able to afford classes, and maybe means testing would be fairer - but unfortunately when you start adding all these different criteria it probably ends up costing more to administrate than you end up saving!

Greatest respect to Kingleds for refusing the free vouchers out of principle of being able to afford it - I sadly am not as noble as you and will take whatever I am offered! (In fairness, I did have a wedding to pay for that year)

I have no objection to unwaged/low waged/whatever people being referred to WW or any other club. In the end it will save the NHS a fortune and also allow the ones who make the most of the opportunity to get their lives back. It has to be a good thing, however you look at it.

If heavily overweight people are booked to attend a hospital obesity clinic it still costs taxpayers' money - much more than a slimming club, I bet! I have yet to meet one person who has truly benefitted, longer term, from hospital clinic help.

We know how it feels to be fat and miserable. We know how hard it is to be judged. GP's were giving out free (i.e taxpayer supported) gym sessions at one point - no idea if they still do - but to my mind the diet club is a far better and more practical idea for someone with a lot of weight to lose.

mandy296 said:
In my area you got 12 weeks to start with - you went back to your GP/nurse for a review and if you were shown to be losing (ie taking it seriously) you got another 12 weeks. After that you are free to convert to a paying member - which I did until I got to target.

I agree it has its flaws - perhaps those with less to lose should get fewer weeks - those with more to lose get more. And I have to admit, I wouldnt class myself as being someone who is less able to afford classes, and maybe means testing would be fairer - but unfortunately when you start adding all these different criteria it probably ends up costing more to administrate than you end up saving!

Greatest respect to Kingleds for refusing the free vouchers out of principle of being able to afford it - I sadly am not as noble as you and will take whatever I am offered! (In fairness, I did have a wedding to pay for that year)

If you had a wedding to pay for chances are you couldn't afford SW aswell. I know our wedding pretty much rinsed any disposable income we had for about 2 years!!

I don't have an issue with people being referred for a free 12 week countdown initially but think that once that has been completed then they should then have to pay for themselves. The initial referral may be the only way some people would ever contemplate attending a class, but once they ahve done a few weeks then would be more likely to continue with it. But there comes a time when they have to stand on their own 2 feet also, which is why I think an initial 12 month referal and then paying for themselves is fine. When I first started on SW my BMI was in the obese bracket and my doctor had told me that I needed to lose weight, but was at no point was I offered a referral. It may be that our doctors surgery don't do the referrals, or it may just be that they don't refer you unless you request it - at the time I didn't realise they could do that so didn't know to ask!

In relation to the comments about people on low incomes, etc... both OH and I work full time (in mid level jobs) and are actually worse off financially than a pair of our friends, neither of whom work, are on benefits, get their rent paid/council tax paid, etc. But that's an entirely different discussion!

I don't have an issue with people being referred for a free 12 week countdown initially but think that once that has been completed then they should then have to pay for themselves. The initial referral may be the only way some people would ever contemplate attending a class, but once they ahve done a few weeks then would be more likely to continue with it. But there comes a time when they have to stand on their own 2 feet also, which is why I think an initial 12 month referal and then paying for themselves is fine.

In relation to the comments about people on low incomes, etc... both OH and I work full time (in mid level jobs) and are actually worse off financially than a pair of our friends, neither of whom work, are on benefits, get their rent paid/council tax paid, etc. But that's an entirely different discussion!

Agreed 100% and thats the discussion I foreseen happening if I continued commenting :)

I don't have an issue with people being referred for a free 12 week countdown initially but think that once that has been completed then they should then have to pay for themselves. The initial referral may be the only way some people would ever contemplate attending a class, but once they ahve done a few weeks then would be more likely to continue with it. But there comes a time when they have to stand on their own 2 feet also, which is why I think an initial 12 month referal and then paying for themselves is fine.

Nevertheless, many people do exist who literally don't have two pennies to rub together. Just because your friends aren't one of them doesn't mean everyone's in that situation. Benefits are complex and still unfair - and many, many people *in* work don't have two pennies to rub together either. Those sort of people don't have access to things like SW, or even the internet to get the general gist of things on sites like this.

Not having a go btw :) and I'm not going to get into the politics of benefits - just that people exist - working or not - who can't afford things like SW so maybe a 12-week countdown introduction would be a good, and relatively cheap, start in at least in motivating and educating them about eating plans.

Back