Slimming World Magazine...Is it just me?

I'm sorry, but I disagree, and I know i'll get stick for saying this, but if you go from 12st down to 10st, you weren't ever that big, not to say it's not as much of a struggle to lose the weight, but the way you felt at 12st cannot really be compared to someone the same height as you at 16st, 18st, 20st or more.

I've wanted to hide away, I've been stared at in the supermarket and people often have a look in my basket/trolley to see what I eat, I get looked up and down in the street and I've even been laughed at, which is very embarrassing. I'm treated very differently by many people to how I was when I was a size 14.

I think it's unfair to say that if someone is fat and unhappy then it's not to do with their weight, I'm happy in almost all other aspects of my life, it's my weight that is making me unhappy, I am unhealthy and I am treated differently, but I don't think you can understand that unless you've been there. x

Oh, don't get me wrong, I see your point and I can only talk subjectively, but just losing weight will not make a completely miserable person and chirpy and happy one. It may well be an aspect and probably a major one for many at that.
I remember some time ago, there was a BBC documentary about weight loss. One of the people was a lady who had done SW with amazing results. I mean, she dropped about half her body weight.
However, now she is skinny and unhappy, as SW has started to rule her life, occupies every single one of her thoughts and is pulling her family apart. To me it seems, she swapped her obsession with eating junk with a diet obsession, but it certainly did not make her happy. I appreciate she may be a rare and unfortunate example, but still she portrayed how just losing weight is not the key to a happy and fulfilled life.

With regards to me not having that much to lose, you are right. However, from my late teenage up until my late 30s I was a regular size 8 - 10 and physically fit. Now I am a size 14 -16 and my personal fitness is a distant memory (won't even start to bore you with my failing health LOL). To me it makes a huge difference, I usually only see my family up to three times/year (if I'm lucky) and I certainly do get funny looks and silly comments. Them bu**ers are all stick thin - apart from my bro and me :-(
But at the end of the day, we are all on a journey. Some journeys may be shorter, others a lot lengthier, but nevertheless a road to more self-confidence and self-esteem and whatever the individual may wish to do with it xx

Okay, so I misinterpreted what you meant, you mean if you're fat and unhappy, losing weight alone won't change that, whereas I took it to mean that obese people are using the fat as an excuse to be miserable, sorry. When I last lost weight, I was really happy, as I had been when I was big, but I was also much more confident and healthy as a result too.

I agree everyone is on their own journey and being overweight can make people miserable, especially if they aren't used to it. 12st makes you feel uncomfortable, 12st for me will be amazing (my target is a size 14!) it's all about perspective, and I'm not saying that it's not as credible a weight loss, not at all, all weight loss is difficult, sorry if I implied otherwise. x

Last edited:
I kind of agree about the point that for many they could still be just as unhappy after losing the weight than before, thats once the euthoria of changing shape has past. I think that could be why most put the weight back on.

I guess I'm biased at the moment. I'm attending a funeral next week of a friend who spent the last 25 years desperately trying to lose 8 stone and finally did it 2 years ago. She was 8st something last time I saw her and a size 12 but told me it wasn't what its cracked up to be.
She delighted in buying new clothes and peoples shocked faces when they saw her changed but ultimately she was still not happy and so she took her life. Extreme case I know but confirms that very often there's a lot more going on than just dealing with the weight and losing it can just add pressure because of the fear of gaining it back.

What a very difficult and potentially dangerous problem dealing with body and mind issues can be!

I read a comment on here from cheesethief who advised someone to remember that weight loss is just one small part of our life and not all of it. I'm trying to remember that. Shes a sensible girl.

That is awful Ellie.
personally I don't buy the mags, they don't appeal to me and I know I would only sit and compare myself and feel bad about it. As for the unhappy being over weight, I was unhappy, but I never stopped doing things, just knowing I'm actually doing so,etching about it makes me feel a lot better about myself.

i love the magasine - i share lots of the views already expressed about the stories coming across a bit 'samey' sometimes but I love all the recipes and it really helps to keep my mind focused and for me to try out new things. Some recipes from the mags have now become firm favourites in my house :)

There are plenty of people who are fine being 'fat'- they're happy at that weight and wear nice clothes. But those people don't tend to go to slimming clubs- it's only really those who are unhappy being fat that want to lose the weight, so it stands to reason that 95% of the stories are of people who were miserable being fat, and happy being thin.

Just playing the devil's advocate :p

I do think though that the magazines pick the 'best' stories to advertise. They obviously want to show the very best side of SW (or WW, RC etc) rather than pick people who took the scenic route. I wish they would show people who took longer to lose weight though as I can relate to those people. I've never been a motorway weight loss person myself.!

I do think though that the magazines pick the 'best' stories to advertise. They obviously want to show the very best side of SW (or WW, RC etc) rather than pick people who took the scenic route. I wish they would show people who took longer to lose weight though as I can relate to those people. I've never been a motorway weight loss person myself.!

I've often thought this! I also believe that the people who take the scenic route are more likely to keep the weight off - but then, as someone who did take the scenic route, I would!

One of the problems might be getting people to agree to being featured? I don't think I would want to find myself splashed all over a magazine and facing the inevitable comments and questions afterwards. Someone who subscribes to this forum has sent her details off and I really hope her story is picked as she has taken the scenic route and despite setbacks, get keeps getting back on the wagon and persevering. A real inspiration to us all!

Its the same old boring format that grates on me!

I was fat and unhappy...
I joined my local friendly SW group (everyone was soooo friendly!)
I used to eat 6 loaves of bread for breakfast and snack on crisps and chocolate
Now I eat this that and the other and I've never felt so good!!!

Its the same story over and over......I'm sure it never used to be like this. I used to find the stories really inspiring. Now, I'm afraid I don't even read them!

I do enjoy the rest of the mag though.

Its the same old boring format that grates on me! I was fat and unhappy... I joined my local friendly SW group (everyone was soooo friendly!) I used to eat 6 loaves of bread for breakfast and snack on crisps and chocolate Now I eat this that and the other and I've never felt so good!!! Its the same story over and over......I'm sure it never used to be like this. I used to find the stories really inspiring. Now, I'm afraid I don't even read them! I do enjoy the rest of the mag though.
Yes, where are the stories like mine - my meals were healthy but I ate too much crap in between and didn't move my bum often enough? I find it hard to identify with the success stories.

I like the recipes, too. I enjoy seeing whats new in the shops as well. I don't always notice stuff when I whizzing round so I often will try things they have scored.

Its the same old boring format that grates on me!

I was fat and unhappy...
I joined my local friendly SW group (everyone was soooo friendly!)
I used to eat 6 loaves of bread for breakfast and snack on crisps and chocolate
Now I eat this that and the other and I've never felt so good!!!

Its the same story over and over......I'm sure it never used to be like this. I used to find the stories really inspiring. Now, I'm afraid I don't even read them!

I do enjoy the rest of the mag though.

The stories do seem to stick with this format. They go from point a to point b. Most people's weight loss journey is not that smooth and simple.

As a newbie to SW I have bought the last two magazines and found them interesting and inspirational. Also the tips on naughty but nice treats that aren't high on syns help. I do however question the "fashion" they featured ?

Must admit there's more to the mag than the stories. The recipes are fab not always to my taste but thats expected.

I saw a lot of my excuses in the 'What's stopping you?' article. Really made me think.

Not going to class so I appreciate the food news section.I've subscribed for another year so there's a lot I do love about it.

I just wish the stories had more oomph.

I think there are a lot of interesting points raised in this thread. It is true, the mags are pretty much an advert for SW or any other diet class for that matter. Someone saying I lost loads of weight really quickly and now my life is amazing as a result is always going to be a better advert than someone saying it took me a long (yet sensible) time for me to get to goal and in reality I still have the same day to day challenges in my life.

But then at the same time, it is a bit of a mis-leading message that it sends out, the idea that being slim is a miracle cure for all the problems in life, which lets be honest it isn't. I generally do feel happier when slimmer, which is down to having more energy, feeling healthier and liking what I see in the mirror. But I still have the same day to day life regardless of whether I'm fatter or thinner. I still do the same things, see the same people, have the same challenges and go to the same places. I just do them whilst wearing a smaller size and having a bit more energy.

I think most people who are overweight have some kind of self esteem issues, whether it's because they're over weight or that they're over weight as a result of having low self esteem is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I know for me personally it has been previously being unhappy with other parts of my life which has made me over eat. When I'm happier I'm thinner, because I don't overeat with stress and anxiety. Being thin is a result of being happy for me whereas being happy is not necessarily a direct consequence of being thinner.

I think this is why some people do struggle with yo yo dieting and I include myself in that group. Once the weight is lost, there is a feeling of emptiness and well now what when you realise that all your problems are still there.

Back