Slimming world newbie and vegan - is it possible?

Chika

Silver Member
Hi everyone. I used to do Cambridge but I've become a vegan and don't really want to start drinking milk again.

Does anyone know if slimming world would work for me? I am losing weight quite steadily but I like the thought of having a group around to support me in doing it.

Any advice?

Chika

Yes, SW allows for rice milk and soy milk as part of your healthy extra allowance and also for rice cheese and soya cheese.

You would be best doing Green days and can then fill up on rice, pasta, potatoes, cous cous, etc and bulk it out with lentils, peas and beans, etc.

Hope that helps!

Definitely honey! Not saying it isn't a challenge, but I think anyone who has gone vegan will find it a challenge at first. Chances are that you will eat healthier than alot of us!!

Now they make light/low fat soya milk or rice milk for your HE A to make sure you get enough calcium. Soya yoghurts for your HE A look for the fat free variety.

Porridge for breakkie with water or rice/soya milk

Loads of grains, and pulses and fresh fruit and veggies are all free on a gree day. Loads of lovely things to do with these, which I am sure you already know :)

Good luck honey, you can do this on SW, just be a bit patient with the consultant, I have found that they aren't as clued up on vegans/vegetarians. I heard my last consultant telling a vegetarian to eat more fish :)

xx

Hiya, thanks for that. You have put my mind at rest. I would have done WW but I really cannot abide the woman and there is a Slimming World meeting tonight so I might as well go while I'm still motivated.

Wish me luck :)

I used to be Vegan and found the green days really easy.

I would have done WW but I really cannot abide the woman and there is a Slimming World meeting tonight so I might as well go while I'm still motivated.

Slimming world is much better than weight watchers, you're allowed to eat lots for a start, and not just their own branded foods like WW!!

I tried slimming world as well as w.w and being a veggie I could only really have green days and found I didn't loose very much weight because I was eating so many carbs and didn't have the red day to balance it out!

I found w.w much easier being a veggie, but obviously everybody prefers different things!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

xx

I lost 2st on green days 5 years ago, and am losing weight on them now. They do work, its just that they go against a lot of the common misconceptions about losing weight, e.g you can't eat potatoes, pasta is fattening etc.

I'm a veggie too so also doing green only days.

It took me a while to get my head round eating so many carbs but what I do is try not to any after 5pm. Unless it's something light like and alpen bar or couple of rich tea fingers :)

I'm a veggie too so also doing green only days.

It took me a while to get my head round eating so many carbs but what I do is try not to any after 5pm. Unless it's something light like and alpen bar or couple of rich tea fingers :)
What do you do for evening meal? Just not have one? I eat about 8 or 9pm...!

What do you do for evening meal? Just not have one? I eat about 8 or 9pm...!

To be honest we always eat around 4.30 here (hubs is never home for tea plus he has main meal at work)

Well today I am doing cous cous with roasted veg and maybe a tesco fat free burger (taste much nice than quorn burgers) or will have a jacket spud, or some pasta with passata and fresh veggies.
Just a case of mixing them up really :)

i am relieved to hear you can lose ok on green days only as i am a bit of a carb addict - even doing cd for an age didnt cure me of that

anyway
chika are you back yet? how was the meeting?

i used to be veggie and did sw a few years ago, i would have kept going (i think i lost 10lb) however i was going with my mam and she couldnt stand staying for the IMAGE therapy after, and the woman who ran it was very irritating. it was really easy for me, and to go vegan with it would just mean substituting then milk and cheese.

I do a lot of green days, and although I find it a bit slower than red days, I still go in the right direction. Having worked in a restaurant that served alot of vegan food, there is so much that you can eat, from corn based products to beans and pulses. You might have to look at the recipes but you will find ways to adapt them slightly to suit you.
Good luck!

Soya milk

Hi, Stumbled across this site by accident; lady was asking about soya milk, she wasn't too keen. Whoever it was! you can get rice milk and sweetened soya milk from Sainsburys. Hope that helps.

Back