Slimming World returners...

papercrane

Lost in the harbor
Hey there,

I'm new here. I'm not new to Slimming World though, and was wondering if any returning members have advice for rediscovering an enthusiasm for SW. I was a member years ago, then didn't go for four years. Then I went back, losing about 3st (about halfway to target) but stopped going last year. I've now put ON about 2st again, and am back at the class, so joining for the THIRD TIME.

This time around the gap between leaving and returning has been relatively brief, and I still know many of the people there (I was still on the computer system even). They're lovely people, of course, but because going back to such familiar surroundings it kinda reminds me of my failure last time around and I'm finding it pretty hard to be re-motivated.

It didn't help that today (my first day back) I happened to go for a kind of a lunch date and there wasn't really much SW-friendly on the lunch menu...! I hardly ever eat out though, so, meh.

I have a couple of issues with SW that are kinda dampening my spirits this time around. One is that I think the diet industry in general kinda preys on unhappiness and low self-esteem, pushing products, and I just really wish I could manage without having to be a part of that. But I can't, I need the group support/pressure. Secondly I find that SW tends to be a lot about finding ways to 'fake' things you like, often using horrible processed products, artificial sweeteners, etc. I know sometimes you do just need that hit, but on the whole I don't think it really helps with changing eating habits - it ends up being quite negative, kinda like: "Well, you can't have real cake, but if you try microwaving together an egg, artificial sweetner, a Muller Light, and a sachet of Options, then it's kiiiiinda the same." D'you know what I mean?

Aside from my scepticism I've still gone back because I know that it works for me. I've paid for a 12-week countdown in attempt to force myself to start the ball rolling.

So yeah, that's my rant/story over really, I'm sorry. I just wondered if anyone's been through a similar second (or more) restart and how they rediscovered a passion for the eating plan......

Thanks!

Hi there,

I too have recently restarted with SW as i realised that i could not follow even the basics without the pressure of attending class. I will be honest though, im struggling to find the enthusiasm that i had the first time around. I'm still having losses each week but like you, i'm not really into it.

I tend to tune off when they start finding all these weird alternatives to favourite food items. I just syn these instead because if i feel im depriving myself then i know i will fall off the wagon again. I understand that with a lifestyle change that SW is that certain foods will be bad for you but telling yourself you cannot have them just makes you want them more. A little in moderation is key i think.

This website is great for helping you to get motivated. There are some inspiring stories on here and there is always someone around to offer advice should you need it. I love it for the recipe threads. There are some pretty tasty things to be had on SW when you delve a little deeper into it and i find that trying new ideas helps me to motivated as i want to experiment with food in a way i have never done before. Everyones motivation is different, it just may take you a little longer to find yours :)

Good luck x

Thanks very much - shall definitely check out the success stories and recipes.

I agree that when motivated SW is great for cooking and being creative. I think another problem for me is that I used to discover or tweak a delicious SW-friendly meal, then have it A LOT and kinda go off it. Of at busy times where I don't have time to cook I end up living off Pasta 'n' Sauce sachets which have now rather become the taste of dieting...!

Do you do Extra Easy much? As a bit of an old-school SWer I still tend to pick Red/Green days. Well, mainly Green because of the extra cheese, haha...! I feel that the HE's are so restrictive on EE - if you have cereal and milk for breakfast that's literally it for your HE's that day!

A very good luck to you too. This will be the time we make target, right!?

x

I honestly find the substitutions using sweetner to be a wee bit weird and I've not used them yet (I have sweetners in some yogurt because the berries are very sour at the moment, and I'm a diet coke addicts, but other than that I've steered clear in the last 3 months I've been on SW).

I think it depends on your class as to whether or not "fake" versions are discussed a lot or not - my class focuses a lot on veggies and fruit to be honest (we've got a bit of a "1/3 SFree bonanza" going on right now, which probably caused that, but it's a class full of people who either cook or want to) - it's been a lot more about making healthier choices (which I'm not sure aspartimane and sucralose are, really) from what's available to us every day (so fruit for sweetness and puddings, which I find is weaning me off refined sugar more and more, hurrah).

Anyway, going back to finding your motivation (!) - when do you find it easiest? And when do you find it hardest?

What's different between the two and how could you reinforce the positive feelings of the easiest times and how could you maybe reduce the difficulties you're having at the hardest time?

It sounds like you might find a food diary here useful? If you mark (I use a lot of different colours and bold in mine to make it easy to see when I skim) what you really like and make a concious effort to note when you're duplicating yourself a lot you'll build a store of things you know you like, but hopefully not sicken yourself of them. I've been trying to cook at least one totally new recipe a week, which has kept things a bit more fresh?

I think you are right it depends on the group. On the whole I feel like the group is more about quick-and-easy replacements, rather than being creative in cooking. Not to do a disservice though, as several members do regularly cook and bring in delicious samples! I used to, guess I should get back into that!

And like you I'm both wary of artificial sweetener, but also addicted to diet drinks (Specifically Pepsi MAX. I'm totally addicted to it....!) I have used sweetener sometimes, but can't help feeling a bit suspicious...!

I find it difficult to figure out when I find it easiest and hardest. I do suffer mood swings and can have quite lengthy low periods which are where I struggle the most. I'm just coming out of one now, and going back to SW wasn't at all planned - I just suddenly noticed it was 7pm on a Wednesday, and was like "RIGHT, that's enough sabotage." and marched myself back to the group.

I find it tough to get going though, hence joining this site. If I can get my arse in gear, then in a few weeks time I will almost certainly be happily on the bandwagon for a while. I think in the past things that have tripped me up have been major events like holidays or weddings where you are 'allowed' to go a bit mad with food, and that kinda carries on.

The absolute best feeling in SW has been that point where you've dropped enough weight you can feel it in your clothes, and your health... That's the point the effort really feels like it's paid off. Seeing numbers on the scales each week is a motivator, but it doesn't mean anything really until you can get into those old jeans or whatever..! I got down to 13st3 last April - my lightest adult weight - and now I'm back at 15st6. I try to focus on how good that felt, but in the meantime I find it so hard to avoid negative though processes - how long it takes to lose weight... how currently all my clothes are tight and some that I bought at my slimmest I can't fit into at all... that if I'd just kept going this time last year I could easily be at my target weight now (which by extension, of course, means I'd be married, rich, successful, etc... haha)

Anyway, I don't want to be all negative on here, that's not why I joined. I have found some great recipe ideas here already which have got me thinking, so that's good! I do love cooking, when I get into the swing of it. It's great to create something delicious from scratch. And you start learning things you can do to make things really flavoursome and rich, even though they're low-syn or free even. Butternut squash, sage, and quorn sausage casserole is still one of my favourite things to cook. Mmmmm...!

Congrats on your weight loss btw! That's fantastic!

Hi again,

First time around i did EE all the time but some days i just couldn't be bothered eating all the veg/fruit it expects you to. I eat a lot of green days now and have come to love Quorn. Weirdly, i find i eat more veg now i don't feel forced to eat it!!

Just remember time will fly by and we will all be at target before we know it!! x

Thanks very much - shall definitely check out the success stories and recipes.

I agree that when motivated SW is great for cooking and being creative. I think another problem for me is that I used to discover or tweak a delicious SW-friendly meal, then have it A LOT and kinda go off it. Of at busy times where I don't have time to cook I end up living off Pasta 'n' Sauce sachets which have now rather become the taste of dieting...!

Do you do Extra Easy much? As a bit of an old-school SWer I still tend to pick Red/Green days. Well, mainly Green because of the extra cheese, haha...! I feel that the HE's are so restrictive on EE - if you have cereal and milk for breakfast that's literally it for your HE's that day!

A very good luck to you too. This will be the time we make target, right!?

x

I think you are right it depends on the group. On the whole I feel like the group is more about quick-and-easy replacements, rather than being creative in cooking. Not to do a disservice though, as several members do regularly cook and bring in delicious samples! I used to, guess I should get back into that!

And like you I'm both wary of artificial sweetener, but also addicted to diet drinks (Specifically Pepsi MAX. I'm totally addicted to it....!) I have used sweetener sometimes, but can't help feeling a bit suspicious...!

I find it difficult to figure out when I find it easiest and hardest. I do suffer mood swings and can have quite lengthy low periods which are where I struggle the most. I'm just coming out of one now, and going back to SW wasn't at all planned - I just suddenly noticed it was 7pm on a Wednesday, and was like "RIGHT, that's enough sabotage." and marched myself back to the group.

I find it tough to get going though, hence joining this site. If I can get my arse in gear, then in a few weeks time I will almost certainly be happily on the bandwagon for a while. I think in the past things that have tripped me up have been major events like holidays or weddings where you are 'allowed' to go a bit mad with food, and that kinda carries on.

The absolute best feeling in SW has been that point where you've dropped enough weight you can feel it in your clothes, and your health... That's the point the effort really feels like it's paid off. Seeing numbers on the scales each week is a motivator, but it doesn't mean anything really until you can get into those old jeans or whatever..! I got down to 13st3 last April - my lightest adult weight - and now I'm back at 15st6. I try to focus on how good that felt, but in the meantime I find it so hard to avoid negative though processes - how long it takes to lose weight... how currently all my clothes are tight and some that I bought at my slimmest I can't fit into at all... that if I'd just kept going this time last year I could easily be at my target weight now (which by extension, of course, means I'd be married, rich, successful, etc... haha)

Anyway, I don't want to be all negative on here, that's not why I joined. I have found some great recipe ideas here already which have got me thinking, so that's good! I do love cooking, when I get into the swing of it. It's great to create something delicious from scratch. And you start learning things you can do to make things really flavoursome and rich, even though they're low-syn or free even. Butternut squash, sage, and quorn sausage casserole is still one of my favourite things to cook. Mmmmm...!

Congrats on your weight loss btw! That's fantastic!

Thank you :).

You don't sound negative, just thoughtful and if you get back into cooking there are a wheen of great recipes on the forums here (I'm just going to go and have a browse and see what I fancy now!) - Capricorn's diary's a great place for ideas incidentally (and motivation!)

GOOD LUCK

Im with you, i refuse to spend syns on faking it. if i want cake that bad, il have cake.. and confess my syns later ;) .. trying to eat somthing thats 'kinda' the same will only lead me to want the real thing, usually ending in far more synage because iv eaten the syns for the crap version, then loads of the real stuff!! I think this often works with mindset though- if you WANT it to taste good, then usually it will taste a whole lot better than if you were already thinking 'i want proper cake..'

i think maybe you need a new group, a new consultant.. a proper fresh start?? what do you think? is this possible for you? i think it is difficult to get that real enthusiasm for it when its not genuine excitment for the journey that lies ahead.. because that is what it is.. a journey.. a long ass journey sometimes and if you cant keep that momentum going you cant make it to the end..

i find figureing out my favourite meals ( for example i SUPER love chilli con carni.. ) so i know il look forward to it.. rather than say.. a nice chicken and bacon salad that il properly think.. meh. This is nice a healthy.... ho hum. LOL

Xxxx

i'd just like to add- you will get days where you 'dont want to do this anymore' and bugger it, 'i was happier when i could just eat whatever i wanted!'

you have to stop and remind yourself that packing it all in will undo all that hard work! i remember days when id lost 3st odd.. and id be like ' for godsake, i just want a chinese, thats it.. iv had enough.. im fed up!' .. but deep down i know throwing in the towl then and there would have been the biggest mistake. . getting to target is the most incredible experiance, but equally a whole new journey of finding yourself all over again as a new person, exploring a new way of life..finding that balance to not feel like your *dieting* but still keeping the wieght off whilst enjoying life fully.

Its all a mad roller coaster, but as i noticed in someones signature on here... being big is hard, loosing weight is hard... chose your hard. Atleast theres an end result from the difficulties you face loosing weight.. nothing can change if you dont. xxx

Hey Fern - thanks so much for your messages, they've really cheered me up and inspired me. And that's brilliant you've kept of 4.5st for so long, congratulations...!

In honesty I would quite like to go to a different group - it's all a little over-familiar. Thing is the one near me is a three minute walk away, and the next closest are over three miles away. Though yes, I know, I should get on my bike and use some body magic ;). When I used to go to the local group I had started helping on the till and weigh-in which didn't help either, because being 'behind-the-scenes' slightly undermines the group pressure/support (I found). I'm very friendly and loved the social side of saying hi to everyone, asking how their week was, etc. but I don't think I'd do it again (or certainly not while I was struggling!)

I think I'll stick with this group a few weeks and see how it goes. It is actually a different consultant since last time I went, so that's a change.

I'll definitely start compiling a list of favourite recipes - that's a good idea. A lot are freezable so I could do some batches. Problem is when I do that I just end up eating them consecutive days anyway, haha.

Well, it's not been the best start to a first-week-back due to slightly unusual circumstances, but I'm pretty confident I can be pretty angelic from now until Wednesday's weigh-in....

So how have you found life at target? Must be very exciting! Despite being an outwardly sociable and (mostly) confident chap there I things I really struggle with or just don't do because of being self-conscious. I do feel like being skinny would solve ALL my problems, though I know it won't really hehe.

Well, this is definitely the year for change... :) xx

Back