Slimming world without a club?

Hi

Is it possible to do slimming world without joining a club? ie finding menus and rules online? I'm in Australia.

I've lost 30kg on my own = low carb and meal replacements.. but have another 20kg to go.. and have been stagnant for 5 months.. with a few kg creeping back on... I've never done SW so thought my body could do with a change :)

Thanks for your kindness and help

Hello :)
Yes you can do SW without joining! I did it for over a year before joining for a 6 week block- I wanted to get some books from the class but these are often available to buy on eBay.
This site is a mine of useful information too! Have a look through the threads (particularly the ones at the top of the SW section- 'How Slimming World Works- Advice for newbies', 'Slimming World from home' etc) to get a feel for the basics of the plan, then maybe subscribe to a couple of Food Diaries to see what people typically eat day-to-day. 'Slimming World Overseas' might be particularly helpful to you too!
If you have a syn query or a general plan query, there's usually someone around here to help :)
Well done on the losses so far and good luck with the plan!

Thank you! That is so useful. I was at a loss not knowing where to start?.. I don't know anything about SW. so i'll head to the newbie bit :).. A few friends have had great success on it.. so I'm hopeful it will work for me too

Again, thank you!

No problem! Happy to help. Some people like to try and incorporate a few SW meals e.g. Breakfasts and ease into the plan slowly, but I think it works best if you get all the naughties out of the house and start with a big SW shop! Then have a week of giving it your all and see how you find it.
To be honest, realistically it's just healthy eating- a good, balanced diet, all wrapped up in 'Healthy Extras' and 'Syns'..
See how you go :)

Thank you again.
I've had a look through but still really confused.. I can have steak AND chips?.. No counting calories or weighing?
I think I"ll have to join a club online or something. I just don't get it lol
15 syns a day... I need a list of foods i can have etc..
Confused
I would be happy to just dive in and get going with it.. I"m kind of an all or nothing type of personality..either doing it or not!

Yes you can!
If you like meat and carbs, do the EE (Extra Easy) plan.
You can have unlimited lean meat (all visible fat removed), fish, pasta, potatoes, rice, noodles, fruit, vegetables, fat free yogurt/fromage frais, powdered spices stock cubes, fresh and dried herbs, vinegar.
You can have one portion of bread or cereal, and one portion of milk or cheese each day (these need to be weighed, and are referred to as 'Healthy Extras' or 'HexA/B' on this forum.
It's important to remember to have fruit/veg with each meal; a third of the meal ideally. So have steak and chips and a salad ;-)
Syns should cover everything else- oil, sauces, salad dressings, chocolate, crisps, cakes etc. Usually with these kind of foods the rule is 20 calories= 1 syn. So if a chocolate bar is 100 calories, it's 5 syns.
Processed food is where it gets a bit more complicated, as there is often what's called a 'free food allowance'. Take for example a potato salad. The potatoes are 'free' ie. unlimited, but the dressing has syns. If you've bought it, it's harder to work out the syns (though there is a tool for this if you were to join Slimming World online). If you made it at home (boiled potatoes, added a tbsp of mayo) you can work out the syn content of the mayo using the above 20 cals= 1 syn rule.
It's easier to do SW 'clean' if you're doing it at home ie. make the potato salad. This way you can keep track of syns easier.
Also because you're in Oz, product availability/brands will differ, so it might be harder for us to advise you of the syns of a particular product.
Is this making sense so far? Feel free to ask questions! It's a lot to get your head around, especially if you've followed restrictive diets in the past.

I'm going to attempt to start SW again without a class (the class in my area isn't at a suitable time). I have done it before though and have a few of the recipe books.

You might be able to find some recipe books online (maybe Ebay) which would help you. Also try the SW website and give their 7 day menu a try. Basically it's low fat, low sugar, not much bread at all, reasonable amount of carbs and protein and as much veg/fruit as you can eat. The more you like fruit and veg the better you will get on. I like potatoes, pasta, rice & meat so it always goes a bit slower for me.

If you cook from scratch it's easier too, especially being abroad as you won't find a lot of the convenience foods. I have done SW while living abroad and that worked best for me.

Back