Slow Cooker Healthy Recipes.

kered

Gold Member
I have recently bought myself a Slow Cooker, and I am looking for any healthy/Low GI/GL, WW, SW, recipes.

Any ideas would be great as I have never used a slow cooker before.

Ooo I love my slow cooker :) But I'm very lazy really - lately the favourites have been throwing in a chopped up leek, some bought diced carrot & swede and then on top of that I place a skinned turkey drumstick - these are dead cheap (about £2). I pour a tin of chopped toms over the top of the turkey trying to make sure it's all moist and bung it on for about 7-8hrs on low. Obviously you can add any herbs you want to. Sometimes I stir herbs or a casserole mix into the veggies in the bottom before adding the turkey. Sometimes I put about half the empty tomato tin of water in too depending on the amount of veg there is.

One thing I always find is you never think there's going to be enough moisture so initially you invariably put too much in and have to thicken what you make which always adds calories. After a while you get a bit braver and take the chance, once or twice i've put too little in but it's still been okay.

Shwartz now make slow cooker casserole mixes in case you didn't know, though tbh I haven't really liked those i've tried.

If you're using red meat, I've used mince, beef skirt, shin beef, minced lamb etc., you really should fry it off first to get rid of the fat. You're also supposed to fry onions before putting them in but I don't and they've always been okay though I do tend to use leeks most of the time.

The other thing I use it for a lot is whole chickens. Roll up a few balls of tinfoil - just to keep the chicken off the bottom and out of the moisture that comes off it, so you're not effectively boiling it. Then put the chicken breast side down (not sure why :eek:) and nothing else at all - no liquid or anything. I was a bit sceptical the first time I tried it but it's fine. It falls off the bones when you get it out and is lovely and moist. I do it on low for about 6 or 7 hours. Shoulders of lamb are lovely too - same principal.

You make soup don't you? I'm pretty sure you could do that in there!

Can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll come back. :) xx

Thanks Jan, some more great ideas here.
I have been very constructive in work tonight and printed out quite a few recipes, I cant wait to try it now.

I have read about the whole chickens and joints being cooked in the slow cookers, I think it will be a joint this Sunday ;)

Back