SLOW COOKER QUESTION

Hi all!

Thinking about joining the club and getting a slow cooker :D

Please can you answer my questions... those that already have one....

Is it a healthier way of cooking?

Can you drain fat when using cuts like lamb?

Is it economical (electricity wise)?

Is it really as stress free as it sounds?

Are they easy to clean/maintain?

Whats the best one to get?

Thanks....I wait in anticipation...REM

There have been quite a lot of slow cooker threads on here recently, it may be worth doing a search for some inspiration but to answer your questions -

healthier way of cooking - i'm not sure it's any healthier but all the goodness is maintained and the veg isn't boiled to death!

Draining meat - if you brown the meat first in a pan and then drain off any fat before adding to the slow cooker

Economical - I think so! although they are on for longer I don't think they use much power

Stress free - yep!! a resounding yes! I just prep the veg the night before and chuck it all in first thing in the morning and my dinner is ready when I get home from work. Simple!

Easy to clean - yes, can even stick it in the dishwasher.

Best one - mine was a cheapie ten pound 3.5l one from tesco and it works a treat!

Hi Hun....ok, yes it is a healthier way of cooking, as all the things like the veg nutrients are staying within the sauce that you are making.
If you seal the lamb before putting it in the pot, you wont get as much fat out...most of it will settle on the top and you can spoon it away anyway.
Yes it is economical compared to an oven if you were making a casserole.
Yes, it is stress free, just chop up veg, meat, add liquid and herbs etc and leave on low heat all day.
The main pot will come out and you can either wash by hand, or stick in dishwasher.
There are so many on the market that the best one is a difficult one to answer. I got a cheap and cheerful one that cost me £10 and 5 years on Im still using it. It just has a low, medium and high heat setting.

Hope this helps in some way!

Kerry-Ann

i use mine many times a week not always to cook meat though. i leave a wholesome veggie soup on which is ready for me when i walk in the door from work absolutely ravenous! i put lentils, beans, pearl barley etc in it - it really is wonderful and all free food! Literally just chuck in whatever i can find! im on my 4th one now (worn the others out lol!), they are economical and so easy to use you should give it a go. Its already been said they do not have to cost a fortune either. I cook mince or diced beef often too.

Hey, I bought slow cooker a few weeks ago and all I can say is GO GET ONE! hehe.

I have a toddler to look after and by dinner time am usually worn out. With my slow cooker, I just bung in whatever I fancy and voila, a ready to go meal... obviously you have to wait for it to cook first though! lol. I make most things in it now, my OH says "our we going to eat everything out of that now!?"

I don't know whether they are more economical yet as I've not had it long! Apparently they are quite good.

Cleaning wise, the inner part which is basically like a casserole dish, you just lift out and clean as normal. The outer part you can wipe down if need be (if you're a messy chef like my OH!)

All I can say really is that I love them. Mine cost a tenner in Morrissons, and you can get a good one for about £10-£20 now. I couldn't live without it now, and it's stopped me slipping up diet wise in the evenings as dinner's already there!! No hassle :) xx

There have been quite a lot of slow cooker threads on here recently, it may be worth doing a search for some inspiration but to answer your questions -

healthier way of cooking - i'm not sure it's any healthier but all the goodness is maintained and the veg isn't boiled to death!

Draining meat - if you brown the meat first in a pan and then drain off any fat before adding to the slow cooker

Economical - I think so! although they are on for longer I don't think they use much power

Stress free - yep!! a resounding yes! I just prep the veg the night before and chuck it all in first thing in the morning and my dinner is ready when I get home from work. Simple!

Easy to clean - yes, can even stick it in the dishwasher.

Best one - mine was a cheapie ten pound 3.5l one from tesco and it works a treat!

Jaylou has said it all, and I would have to say that I agree with what she has said.....

I love my slow cooker and use it all the time, it sits on my microwave oven and is at the ready all the time.

My slow cooker is about 3/4 years old and was a middle of the range price - but you can get some cheap ones these days that work just as well.

The only other advice I would give you is to buy one with a thermastat - some makes don't have one and you can't control the heat very well without one.

So enjoy your slow cooker, there are quite a lot of recipes in the recipe thread above....

I think it's because the ingredients are cooked a lot slower and not boiled. You don't lose any of the flavour or moisture and it really tenderises the cheapest cuts of meat. I much prefer a slow cooker casserole to an oven cooked one as I find the oven one loses all it's liquid during cooking.

I agree with Jaylou and not only that, but if you put everything in a pot or in the oven you generally need to keep an eye on them, where as with the Slow Cooker, you dont.

I adore my slow cooker. Best advantage for me, DS & I eat around 5pm, DH often works late, so can just leave his in the cooker til he comes home. Nothing for me to do, his meal stays hot & unspoilt in the slow cooker. Great for people who eat at different times. Also, can take advantage of cheaper cuts of meat, ie beef brisket, stewing/braising steak, even a whole chicken, which just falls off the bone when ready. Same for lots of other "bone in" joints too.

I have already replied but just wanted to add how good they are for cooking a 'roast' joint of meat or whole chicken. My daughter got one but wished she had bought the larger size as hers is too 'round' to do this with some joints - particularly with the bone in.

I have one now! 3.5L and also have a whole chicken in the fridge - ANY RECIPE IDEAS FOR IT????

Obviously I would need to skin it first?
Does the meat fall off the bone literally??
I suppose you get a really good stock into the bargain too!

Thanks
REM

Hi RelentlessEating Machine,

I don't skin my chicken, just put it on top of a couple of carrots or scrunched up pieces of silver foil, seal the pot and leave for the day. When you come back you will find that your chicken is cooked through and you won't be tempted to eat the skin coz it looks all anaemic because it has been steamed rather than roasted.

As an aside, when I do a roast joint in the slow cooker I normally pop it into the oven for 1/2 hour before I serve it to crisp up the outsides.

Enjoy.

You don't need to skin the chicken until it is cooked - and yes the meat falls off the bone and it is moist and really tender....enjoy!!!

You don't need to skin the chicken until it is cooked - and yes the meat falls off the bone and it is moist and really tender....enjoy!!!

dosnt all the dripping fat from the skin fall into the stock and vegetables therefore making the stock and veggies very high in calories:confused::confused:

Back