Slow cookers- how do you use yours?!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi folks, I'm planning to buy a slow cooker in the next few days and am interested in hearing what people think of them, the things they make in them and any tips they may have! Also recommendations for makes/models would be greatly appreciated- they vary so much in price and I was wondering if you get what you pay for, or whether a £20 jobbie will perform just as well!!X

Hiya - I use mine all the time, it was £9.99 from tesco and is still going strong, today there is a Gingered beef with Bay casserole in there but I do loads of stuff, curries, spag bol etc etc, it saves so much time when you get in after work, I know some people put chickens in there but I have never done that.

There is a thread on the recipes section for slow cooker recipes.

I love my slow cooker!
I mostly used it for stews but have started cooking whole chickens in there.
The meat is so tender, it's gorgeous.
Cheap, easy and tasty - what more could a girl want?

As I'm out all day I got one with a variable setting so I can have it on low.

There are several slow cooker threads and many recipes in the recipe sub-forum. I'm sure you'll find loads of ideas there and it's worth googling as there are lots of websites devoted to slow cooking.

I'd definately recommned a slow cooker, I use mine for spag bol, chilli, sausage casserole, those types of meals. I've never cooked a whole chicken in there either.

I have in the past (pre-SW days) made cakes in there & they do come out yummy:D

Mine was about £20 I think, you really don't need an expensive one.

I love my slow cooker!
I mostly used it for stews but have started cooking whole chickens in there.
The meat is so tender, it's gorgeous.
Cheap, easy and tasty - what more could a girl want?

As I'm out all day I got one with a variable setting so I can have it on low.
What else do you put in SC with your chicken? :eek:

You can use much cheaper cuts of meat in a slow cooker, I love a lamb stew, or a beef curry!

If you worry about not having a thick enough gravy pop in a floury potato and that will break down and thicken it.

Funcurls - im getting a slow cooker now - pick it up from Argos tonight - along with my hand blender!!! hehe! Stews and Soups - here i come!!! hehe! xxx

i think 3.5 easily does for 2 - so 6.5 would be for a family of 4 -6 i guess......

until i get it tonight i wont be able to tell ya lol! xxx

Funcurls - im getting a slow cooker now - pick it up from Argos tonight - along with my hand blender!!! hehe! Stews and Soups - here i come!!! hehe! xxx

yeah thats what i said, one bad batch and now im scared to use it, so its gathering dust.. and i have several tupper wear box's of a batch of soup, it sucks ass but can t bring myself to chuck it so its also gathering ice in my freezer.... oh i did have such good intentions!

Fern, I'm sure that you can resurrect your soup! If you've not already thrown it out, defrost one tub, ignore what it looks like - if that's part of the problem - warm some up and taste it again. What could you add to improve the flavour? We add all sorts of things, soy sauce, worcester sauce, even Bovril or Marmite. It won't be what you were hoping for originally, but just make it drinkable, rather than wasting all those good for you vegetables! (And it will give you that much more room in your freezer!).

We never follow a recipe when we make soup, just bung in what we've got, cook it, wizz it, then we season it to suit our own tastes. We don't use salt as such, but Hubby likes his much 'hotter' and more peppery than me.

It looks disgusting, like diarrhoea most of the time, but a few weeks back we made over 12 litres of really thick soup, which needs diluting to drink it, at a cost of just £1.35 for the lot, using chuck out packs of vegetables, which needed little or no preparation!

Do give it a try, you've got nothing to lose!

By the way, I don't know why, but your posts always come up wider than everyone elses. I'm completely useless at anything on here, but it won't even let me 'minimise' to read a whole line! Anyone else have this problem?

Back