How many syns do you use?

vixter

Just out of interest, I am wondering how many syns people use (compared to how many they are told they can have).
As SW standard says 5-15 syns per day, but more overweight people like myself are told they can have up to 25!?
I know from experince having 20-25 is never going to help me lose weight. In fact, I find that if I have nearer 15 it's very tough to lose weight!.
I see people on my groups fb page that make up bags of 15 syns exactly and sit and eat them at night, then complain they don't lose weight....

I know if you don't have enough syns you don't lose, and if you have too may you also don't lose, so where is the line for you?

Hi Vixter,

I tend to use 3-5 a day and that's mostly due to a sugar free coffee creamer I use every day. I don't really add any more until the weekends (gin syns not food ;)).

My girlfriend just joined & she doesn't have a huge amount to lose & she aims for absolutely no syns (& was rewarded with a 7 1/2lb loss in her 1st week!)

I personally can't see how eliminating syns would slow weight loss with the exception of making person feel deprived & susceptible to a binge!

Will be very interested to see how rest of group looks a syns...

Gin syns :D I like your style!

Great minds think alike, I just asked this question on my food diary :pI tend to lose more when I sway around the 8-10syns but I tend to use them for things to have as a meal rather than 'treats'. I love coleslaw and cannot bare the thought of using yoghurt etc to make it so I do like to use syns for mayo or maybe syns for sweet chilli sauce for my salad. I agree that sitting with a 15syn bag at night is a crazy concept! Don't get me wrong I love a treat but now instead of having one every day I like to save it for an actual treat.
Natalie x

I have between 12-15 syns everyday. I've lost 12.5lb in 3 weeks, so I'm very happy. If for whatever reason my weight begins to plateau in the future I can quite easily cut back on the syns. Syns are part of the plan so I use them.

5-10 per day, usually. This then allows me a bit of flexibility if I've eaten out and guesstimated (e.g. mayo in a jacket with tuna mayo) and also some gin-syns in the bank too! haha
I do tend to use them in my meals, mostly. Oil/butter for cooking, extra cheese, fat on my bacon. It's good to have the option to have something chocolatey when the urge strikes though. I don't have masses to lose but intend to keep eating my syns whilst I can and if I plateau then cut back slightly or increase my body magic :D

I use 0-5 a day, I need to up it but I try to save until the evening when I know I might want a snack. Problem is though I'm quite often full and have healthy extras to use so have them - then don't want to eat naughty food for the sake of it! Also like to save for a takeaway or something similar at the weekend. Will be trying to work into meals but loving what im eating syn free at the moment!

I started this about two weeks ago first week I lost 6 pounds this week again 2 pounds and I think it's because of the syns I've been eating crap for them

I aim to have the 15 syns every day, as my consultant says everyone should have all their syns every day. When I've stuck to this and to all other aspects of the plan (weighing and measuring, the right proportion of free food, drinking plenty of fluids) then I've had a loss. Not always a massive loss, but a loss.

For me, the plan has to be the plan, or I drift completely off it before I know it, so I keep reminding myself that if i knew better than the plan then I wouldn't need to do it in the first place. If im not following the plan because I'm cherry picking it I soon find myself drifting back into old habits, so I treat it like a lifeboat and try to stick right in the middle of it.

Hi Vixter,

I tend to use 3-5 a day and that's mostly due to a sugar free coffee creamer I use every day. I don't really add any more until the weekends (gin syns not food ;)).

My girlfriend just joined & she doesn't have a huge amount to lose & she aims for absolutely no syns (& was rewarded with a 7 1/2lb loss in her 1st week!)

I personally can't see how eliminating syns would slow weight loss with the exception of making person feel deprived & susceptible to a binge!

Will be very interested to see how rest of group looks a syns...
Eliminating syns will slow your weight loss which is why you should never have less than 5 syns per day. Your body needs a small amount of fat and sugar or it will realise you are on a diet and start holding onto everything thus stopping you from losing weight. The plan tells you 5-15 a day for that reason. A lady I know has all her 15 syns every day and has just reached her 5 1/2 stone award. Experiment with your syn amount every couple of weeks and find out how many suits you but having no syns will only work for a little while. Trust the plan as many have thought they know best and have stopped syns etc and are now not coming back to group after a weight gain.

I'm usually around 12-15 a day, sometimes a few more. Not noticed it affecting me so far, but at least I have something to reduce if it comes to it. I also have a cheat day about once a month, might lead to a small gain for a day or two but it's gone in no time.

I would advise using at least 5 syns a day, even if it's for something healthy like some nuts, but I mostly use mine for chocolate, then sometimes oil, butter, flour as part of a meal.

Back