Slow cookers- how do you use yours?!

I got one of the really cheap Tesco slow cookers a while back when they were on sale. It is small, but that is fine as I am only cooking for myself.

I have cooked whole chickens - took the advice of someone (sorry, can't remember who, now) to scrunch up some foil into little balls, put them in the bottom of the dish to keep the chicken off the base and to allow the juices to drain. Also, to cook the chicken upside down, so the breast stays moist.

Right this minute I am cooking a guinea fowl - it was close to its sell by date so it was reduced and cheaper than a small chicken. Never cooked one before, but it is smelling lovely right now and I can't wait till dinner time!!

I have also done casseroles of various kinds and everything has worked out well.

I use my SC a lot. It's on at the moment with a beef/potato/vegetable casserole in it. I work a very long day on a Tuesday so usually use it each Tuesday so I have food waiting for me when I get in. It's great for cooking cheaper cuts of meat as they go so soft and tender.

I have a Morphy Richards 6.5 Litre and there is always plenty leftover after the 5 of us have eaten.I have cooked a whole chicken in it and it was so tender it fell of the bone.!I put a layer of sliced veg underneath lovely and tasty.Yesterday I made a free veg casserole, and froze half of it for another day. Gammon joints, sausage casserole, chilli, spag bol ( cook spaghetti separately ) lamb, beef stews are always a winner with the family. For extre flavour I always add a can of baked beans. Hope you enjoy experimenting.

So for when we move and theres only me and my OH to feed i would think i wouldnt need a 6.5 litre - but then what happens when family are over ???? Also if i get the smaller one i wont be able to roast a chicken, what do you lot think? Big is better or small is splendid lolxx

I got a 5.5 L one (Breville). I just thought it would be handy to have lots on hand and the food can last for several days and I'm a great one for freezing stuff to take to work at a later date and also for emergencies when there's 'nothing in the house'!! My first experiment, a beef and red wine casserole was a great success!!X

Back