Extra Easy Smash... batter ?

I've heard of using smash to thicken gravies but what else is it secretly good for ? Any ideas / experience.

Thanks as always, you helpful bunch. : )

the only thing I use if for is the onion bhaji's when I am in a rush otherwise all it is fit for is the bin!

Seems there are a few smash haters amongst us!!
No substitute for real mashed potato. Mmmmmmm!

I hate instant pot to, but actually its surprisingly good for thickening my chicken cacciatore, following the sw recipe they use to much liquid for my liking so have had to thicken it using this, gets a thumbs up from me for this. :D

I don't mind it.... and it's quick and free!
I also use it as as "free" pastry base.

I got the Sainsbury one as it was recommended a while ago in the SW magazine as being far nicer than Smash. I had never had instant mash before, so wasn't sure what to expect.

I made up one sachet, took a small taste of it, and chucked it in the bin. The rest of the packet went to my impoverished student relative, who will eat anything!

You could try it as an emergency substitute for glue, I suppose!!

I tried it to thicken gravy - OMG, I like my salt but eeeeuw!

Also had it for a quick meal and it was just disgusting. That was the buttery one too. Nasty.

I agree real mash is better. So is real mash with butter & cream, but, hey, where needs must! lol

I always have smash in the house. I too use it for thickening stews & slow cooker recipes (which always end up rather 'wet' with me). I make croquettes from it, use it in place of flour when coating things and make quicky cheese n potato pies with it. I use it one way or another a couple of times most weeks...I'm sure I do other things with it, but I just can't think! lol

I don't like Smash, but I find Mr Mash palatable (although we rarely use it to make mash). But we use it a lot as a thickener. I would it if someone came up with a batter recipe using it lol.

Back