Smash Pizza?

helen1987

Hi All,

i have heard at group about people making Pizza Bases using 'Smash'

im considering doing this tomorrow, and was wondering if anybody had tried it?

any tips on getting it crispy?
what toppings etc do you use?

I guess this would be classed as a 'tweak'?

but surely is better than having a normal pizza (im really craving it!!)

Yes I've tried it & it's much better than you'd expect.

I roll my 'dough' to about 1/5in then bake for about 15mins, so the top goes a nice golden brown, turn over & bake for about 10mins, then add my yummy toppings & put back in the oven util my cheese is melted.

Yes I've tried it & it's much better than you'd expect.

I roll my 'dough' to about 1/5in then bake for about 15mins, so the top goes a nice golden brown, turn over & bake for about 10mins, then add my yummy toppings & put back in the oven util my cheese is melted.

how much smash/water do you use? any idea?

Thanks

Hi All,

i have heard at group about people making Pizza Bases using 'Smash'

im considering doing this tomorrow, and was wondering if anybody had tried it?

any tips on getting it crispy?
what toppings etc do you use?

I guess this would be classed as a 'tweak'?

but surely is better than having a normal pizza (im really craving it!!)

I love the smash pizza it tastes great....

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/160157-sw-free-smash-pizza.html

From the SW website just in case people do not know 2. Are couscous cake, Smash pizzas and lasagne-sheet 'Doritos' Free? You might be disappointed to hear that they're not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned. When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they're low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods. Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods - giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), used as a sauce thickener (like Smash), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they're often used as additions to a main meal... and on top of your day's Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns

From the SW website just in case people do not know 2. Are couscous cake, Smash pizzas and lasagne-sheet 'Doritos' Free? You might be disappointed to hear that they're not. Because changing the use of a food can make it easier to over-eat, to protect your weight loss they become Synned. When foods like pasta, rice and grains are used in their original form they're low in energy density (calories), bulky, appetite-satisfying foods. Pasta, couscous and rice are usually the main ingredient in a meal packed with other Free Foods - giving it sufficient bulk to be satisfying as a meal in itself. However, when ground down, used as flour (like in couscous cake), used as a sauce thickener (like Smash), seasoned crisps (like Doritos) or puréed (like smoothies) they're often used as additions to a main meal... and on top of your day's Syns. It is a very effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky way, and as such would then be counted as Syns

yea i did know that, but surely doing this got to be better than me giving in and having an actual Pizza?

Why not just syn it at the rate that SW recommend and then there is no issue - 4.5 syns per 26 of pwdered mach. Or the alternative is to use a wrap like the Warburtons Squarish Wrap (8 syns) or a pitta bread for the base.. Go for the WW pitta bread for your HEB and there would be hardly any syns at all :)

I think my smash pizza thread must have been deleted as I posted pics of my base and the actual syn values etc to help those who were unsure of it. Annoying that its been deleted if so as it was a sticky thread but I can't find it x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Lol, yes I did know, but this is just one of the many things I just decide to have syn free, but I wouldn't have couscous cake or make those chickpea bake things or the lasagne sheets baked, I wouldn't eat those syn free as I can see how it can be food abuse, but the way I look at it I'm not having any more smash than I'd have if it wasn't been used as a pizza base & I only have them occasionally. Flippin eck you can't make the pizzas too big there isn't enough cheese in hexa to go round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yes it's good to remind people as there are a lot of newbies on here at the mo & I wouldn't want them having smash pizza thinking they were free. :D

Surely if you have a slice of pizza with superfree salad or veg for a meal that's no different to making any ingredient into a meal.
I get that if you have a smash pizza as a snack or with a side of chips then yes your over eating it. Or am I wrong?

Lol, yes I did know, but this is just one of the many things I just decide to have syn free, but I wouldn't have couscous cake or make those chickpea bake things or the lasagne sheets baked, I wouldn't eat those syn free as I can see how it can be food abuse, but the way I look at it I'm not having any more smash than I'd have if it wasn't been used as a pizza base & I only have them occasionally. Flippin eck you can't make the pizzas too big there isn't enough cheese in hexa to go round!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yes it's good to remind people as there are a lot of newbies on here at the mo & I wouldn't want them having smash pizza thinking they were free. :D

I knew you'd know chick ;-) x and yes, my intention was to make the facts clear for others so they could make an informed choice.

Funny as mine is in the oven right now. The best advice I can give is to add herbs etc to the powder before you add the water. The other tip is that some people find it hard to flatten out and the best way to do this is to flatten it out by hand then take a wet rolling bin and roll it out to make it flat. Cook on both sides before adding your toppings.

Funny as mine is in the oven right now. The best advice I can give is to add herbs etc to the powder before you add the water. The other tip is that some people find it hard to flatten out and the best way to do this is to flatten it out by hand then take a wet rolling bin and roll it out to make it flat. Cook on both sides before adding your toppings.

I put a large sheet of cling flim on the side put my blob of smash on then cover it with cling film & roll out to the size I want:D

I always make mine with an egg and only enough water to make it into a dough, using a 120g pack of Tesco value instant mash, roll it really thin and prebake it. I agree that if it is my main source of carbohydrate it is not a tweak and can be eaten as a free food. I haven't done it for a while so I think I'll have a go tomorrow!

I don't understand why this is still being debated, in black and white direct from sw..

Each to their own I suppose!

If you read the statement above from SW it doesn't say that using instant mash as a pizza base means it must be synned, it only said when used as a sauce thickener. I have contacted SW with my recipe and will wait for their reply!
At approx 25g per pizza that's less than I would mix & eat as a portion of mash & the only difference is that I cook & brown the mix, I don't see that you have to syn potatoes when used as chips because you have cooked them in a oven.......
It has always been a grey area, both my consultants have said it's free, others say it's not! Lets see if I get a reply..........

Please post their response. It's interesting I can clearly see how it can not be a good idea if you have it plus everything else but as a meal i don't see problem.
I saw a thread about homemade crisps and it turned out the lady was eating half a bag of potatoes a day that's why it can be a problem but can't wait to see the reply

Back