Smash Potato based Pizza.....

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
I know this is a silly question but - when you make the Smash pizza bottom, is it all edible......

I have this idea in my head that it is a really hard baked bottom and that it would be difficult to eat....

My DH & I are not big pizza eater's but it would be nice to be able to make one now and again, because at least you know what is going on a home made pizza.

Could someone give me an answer please - and how much Smash would I need to use? And would it be free on Red & EE?

Thanking you.

I know what you mean donnie! Do they taste like mash potato because im not sure i could bear that!

I don't know about pizza, but smash as a pastry is great in your lemon meringue pies, Donnie. I think it would be good as a pizza too.
It's free on EE and green but I am sure it's synned on red.

Yes you eat the base as well - if you just ate the topping it wouldn't be much of a pizza! I've only made it once and didn't make a great job of it to be honest but it was cripsy but still soft on the inside and you wouldn't have guessed it was smash.
If you do a search you'll find the quantities in the recipe folder. As for syns it would be free on green and EE but not on red, all depending on choosing a syn-free smash mix.

Thank you all so much, I will find the pizza base recipe and give it a try I think, I just can't get this idea out of my head that it would be a really 'hard baked' bottom which would get harder still when it was finished off in the oven with the topping on.

I should have realised that it wouldn't be free on Red because it is mashed potato after all - Doh!!!! I do get these silly brain storms occassionly, LOL....

Henna, I'll let you know how I get on with it......

Many thanks again everyone. X

ive made it loads of times and love it, i actually grill the base!!! tflip it over and grill the other side, then i top it and grill it to brown the cheese!!!

sounds like a plan for saturday afternoon.....!
Love slimming world but have missed pizza so bad and didn't think there was a way around it xx

Your'e very welcome Hun...I can recommend the smash pizza base pizza...all free on a EE day if you add some smoked bacon or some ham....hmmmm fancy that for tea tomorrow now...may just have to freeze the chicken I was going to roast! Lol

Thanks for the ideas and enjoy your yummy-food-filled weekend!

I think it will be an EE day for us on Saturday night MrsV, so that I can put some meat on the pizza too - thank you for your lovely recipe. X

My Smash pizza's are magic! I make a base from 60g smash mixed with boiling water (add a little at a time until you get a dough consistency) and add some salt, basil and black pepper. I think knead it into a cake tin, spray with fry light and put in the oven for about 20 mins (when you press it it should have a slight spring to it). Take out the oven and put on your topping then back into the oven for about ten mins. Tastes just like pizza dough and you can make it as thin or thick as you like. I took mini pizza's to our party last week and they went down a treat.

Mine if spread thinly enough, will go crispy..you just have to turn it over and spray with frylight again. The oven needs to be really hot.

Totally different - I make pizza topped chicken, it's an absolute fave!
Butterfly a chicken breast and flatten it out a bit, then cook in a frying pan until both sides are golden and the breast is cooked through.

Make a topping by frying onion, garlic and peppers then adding some tinned tomatoes and bacon or whatever else you like and cook for 10 mins on a low heat.

Put the topping on top of the chicken, add your cheese and finish off under the grill until the cheese is bubbling.

Absolutely gorgeous!

i love my smash pizzas but a nice alternative is to use wholemeal pitta bread and just pretend that way your still getting your stodgy bread fix i substitute for a heb and add 2 syns there my hangover snack with home fries mmmmmm home fries lol

I made it this afternoon, put it out as thin as possible but it was still quite soggy in the middle. The edges were nice and crispy like pizza. Still tasted good, soggy or not.

Back