Smoked haddock Pilaf

Rattybabe

I cooked this recipe before I started Slimming World, but I have found that it's perfect for Extra Easy too!

This is from "The Good Cook" on the BBC. The recipe below is in it's original form, but since starting slimming world, I have reduced the butter content to 2 teaspoons of Lurpack lighter, and it had no impact on the result at all. It's absolutely delish!

I only have to cook for 2, so I reduce the quantities a little - I use 150g of rice to 225ml water, and use 1 chilli. The other ingredients I leave at the same amounts, but could be varied a little according to taste. Just remember that it is always 1 and a half time the amount of water to rice! And remember to reduce the cooking time a little if you are making less!

I also don't bother with using the tea towel to remove extra steam - I have tried it both ways and it makes no difference.

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
  2. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based lidded casserole dish. Add the garam masala and allow to sizzle gently for a moment or two. Tip in the rice and stir around until the grains are well coated with this spicy butter.
  3. Add the bay leaf, lemon zest, green chilli, ginger and a touch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the stock, bring up to a simmer, then lay the fish on top, gently submerging it under the surface. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven, then leave to stand for 5-7 minutes without removing the lid; this is important - it allows the rice to finish cooking.
  5. Take off the lid, remove the skin from the fish and immediately add the chopped egg, onions and coriander and, using two forks, gently mix the rice, while also breaking the fish into flakes and mixing everything else in as you go. Remove the bay leaf and cover with a tea towel, clamp on the lid, and leave for a further five minutes to remove any excess steam. Mix again lightly.
  6. Serve directly from the dish onto hot plates and squeeze over a little lemon juice.

Back