Smoothie and soup confusion.

Roz

Hi.

I make my own smoothie's... very low fat natural yogurt blended with a banana and a pear. I eat the pear skin while blending the smoothie... so it's still syned?

Why is a smoothie syned but not homemade blended vegetable soup? Surely you're doing the same thing to the vegetables as you are the fruit smoothie?...:confused:

Thanks.

I hate that fruit is synned as i LOVE smoothies - i can understand that it is because fruit has quite high natural sugars and so when we blend them we would eat more than we would usually consume.

HOWEVER - why is it that i could eat 5 bananas if i wanted but i cant blend these 5 bananas? Is it purely because i would be more full if i ate them whole than when i blended them??

xx

Yeah, Pesty!
I could understand if I'm blending with orange juice, but not if it's with the natural yogurt.
Plus... ok, sugar is released when it's blended, but doesn't my stomach or my teeth make that happen also??

Ok, thanks Devon Dumpling. But why doesn't it matter about blended soup? You're not using your teeth etc so still swallowing it like you would a fruit smoothie, lol... it's all so complicating.

why is it that i could eat 5 bananas if i wanted but i cant blend these 5 bananas? Is it purely because i would be more full if i ate them whole than when i blended them??

This is the reason I always thought for smoothies being synned! If you blend it - it will be a lot easier to consume way more tahn you would if you just ate them!

Probably a more sugar/enzyme scientific reason too!

Also assumed it is OK to blend vegetables for soup as they do not have as many natural sugars - so more vegetables is not that bad!

Hmmm - think of it like this:

if you sit down and plan to eat 4 pieces of fruit, you bite into the whole fruit, your body has to break down the food, and your brain has longer to register when you are full. This is the lowest GI way of eating fruit. There is a chance that you would notice you were full, and wouldn't start the 4th piece of fruit ...

If you blended the same fruit, you would drink the smoothie, your body has to do very little work to break it down (it has a higher GI in this form also, raising your blood sugar levels even higher and requiring a higher insulin response), and your brain does not have so long to realise satiety. You could easily finish the drink, abut only realise that you are full 10 mins later.

Or, to cut to the chase, veg have much lower calories than fruit. SW will encourage you to eat veg in any form you enjoy, whereas fruit they want you to enjoy in sensible quantities, stopping when you are sated - the slower you eat that fruit, the less likely you are to overeat it.

Back