SMP Question

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I'm entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay and I start this next Monday 26th July.

I've always been paid weekly but the agency I'm employed through say my first payment isn't until the 16 September???

What can I do in the meantime? There is no way we can survive on just H wages.

I'm so worried that we're going to get behind and then it's impossible to catch up. But with H wages we're only able to pay the mortgage & council tax.

i am in the same sort of predicatment as you whereas my smp is ending but i cant afford to not go back.

Suggestions have been....
avon, childminding, online market research but nothing is that much money!

If you have any ideas please share and if i find any more i will share too.
xxx

The problem is I'm 6 months pregnant & my smp is starting from the 26th July but no payment until September which I really don't understand. I thought payment would start straight away.

Might be worth trying the ACAS website and doing a search on maternity pay. It's usually a pretty helpful site.

Have you called the agency and asked what the craic is, maybe they've messed up or you're due money from somewhere else until then?

That seems strange to me. When I deal with SMP where I work (also an agency) so long as the person has given enough notice of the date they wish their SMP to start, that is when I start paying it to them. And if you are normally paid weekly you should get it weekly. The only thing I can think of is that the earliest SMP can start is 11 weeks before your baby is due, does that work out to be 16th September?

That seems strange to me. When I deal with SMP where I work (also an agency) so long as the person has given enough notice of the date they wish their SMP to start, that is when I start paying it to them. And if you are normally paid weekly you should get it weekly. The only thing I can think of is that the earliest SMP can start is 11 weeks before your baby is due, does that work out to be 16th September?

Sat 24th is 11 wks before due date & I told them the beginning of mth x

Back